Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Old Army Question

Ruger Old Army Question

One of my club mates is giving up shooting and is selling a ROA, and I'm waiting until my FAC renewal comes up at the end of june to put it on my ticket, the question is that he has it on his ticket as a .44, but the ones that I have seen are all advertised as .45, he uses a .457 ball in it when loading at the club, so what is the correct calibre to put on my appplication.
    Winchester 94 38/357
    Ruger/Volquartsen 10/22
    Marlin .22lr Bolt

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    I have one on my ticket as .44, as thats how the pistol is "designated" legally, it has nothing to do with the actual calibre of projectile AFAIK. Its on my ticket as .44 & I fire a .454 ball from it. Have a word with your local FEO, they should understand.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

.44 or.45

I am in the same boat. When I bought mine it was on the previous owners as a .44. That is what I had on my FAC to acquire it. The size of the ball makes no odds.Originally, ROA's were classed as .44's, then in time .45's, so if it is classed as one or the other, that is what it remain.
    I would like to add, mine is stamped, under the barrel, .44.

ruger bore and caliber

Quote Originally Posted by andywi1 View Post
    One of my club mates is giving up shooting and is selling a ROA, and I'm waiting until my FAC renewal comes up at the end of june to put it on my ticket, the question is that he has it on his ticket as a .44, but the ones that I have seen are all advertised as .45, he uses a .457 ball in it when loading at the club, so what is the correct calibre to put on my appplication.
    hello, there is confusion over this ,the actual bore dimensions is close on .452 [.45 colt]thats why in the states you can use the conversion cylinders which are designed for .45 colt, the correct size ball for this fine firearm is .457 yet it will fire the .45 colt in the states as far as lead ball is used the .454 is a little too undersized to obturate into the rifling although you can use that size ball the accuracy wont be as consistent as the 457 which old armies were designed for, so back to your question it is without doubt classed as a .45 black powder revolver hope this answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by martindl99 View Post
    I would like to add, mine is stamped, under the barrel, .44.
    There is your answer, what is stamped on the barrel.

Mine is .45

ROA calibre

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly 2 View Post
    There is your answer, what is stamped on the barrel.

Mine is .45
    so is mine, had a .44 slot and had to change it to .45 as stamped on the pistol, what calibre is it on your mates FAC

Quote Originally Posted by middaycowboy View Post
    so is mine, had a .44 slot and had to change it to .45 as stamped on the pistol, what calibre is it on your mates FAC
    He say's that it's on as a .44, so will have to check it over and see what's stamped on the barrel.

Thanks for your help guy's, I'm sure I will have more questions when I get it.
    Winchester 94 38/357
    Ruger/Volquartsen 10/22
    Marlin .22lr Bolt

When i got mine i applied for .44/.45 black powder pistol and included a letter explaining that all ruger old armys are the same calibre but earlier ones are stamped .44 and later ones are stamped .45. The licencing officer agreed and hey presto thats what i got on my ticket. In fact its still listed as .44/45 to this day. Tim

I dont think you would do that today, Avon & Somerset now say they wont do calibre ranges - you must specify an exact calibre.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

The reason for different calibre designations on the ROA is due to "stupid people"!

When launched in the 70's it had a "standard" bore of .443" and a groove diameter of .451", hence marked as a .44. Howver, Ruger recommended that a ball of .457" be used.

Buyers complained of poor accuracy and scoffed at Rugers claim of the "finest percussion revolver ever made....." When investigating the claims, it was found that buyers were using a .451" or .454" ball as they had always done with their ".44's"

So in order to get the "stupid people" to read the manual and use the recommended .457" ball or bullet, Ruger stamped the OA as a .45!

A ".44" stamped ROA would indicate some of the first ones made.

Interesting post Simon. I've tried .457 & .454, I get better groups with .454

Could be that loaded with a .454" ball just suits your style of shooting.

Back in the 90's I was a bit of a Ruger collector. They are great quality, at a fair price. And Bill Ruger himself conducted his business with an hounor and attitude long since falling out of fashion.....

I'll never forgive the b*stards for "stealing" my 4 inch, engraved Security Six or a first year manufactured Single Six.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Could be that loaded with a .454" ball just suits your style of shooting.
    Could be. I normally stuff 20gr of real BP behind it, none of this Pyrodex nonsense !!

44/45

Quote Originally Posted by middaycowboy View Post
    Tomorrow I will post off my FAC for a variation for a ROA the gun I am buying is stamped .44, but the ROA is in the dealers register as a 45 because that is how it was registered on the previous owners FAC
    I have already spoke to my FEO regarding this matter, because I was not sure if I should put 44 or 45 on my variation application, and what he said was that "I should put 45, because that is how it will be sold to me from the dealer" otherwise the dealers register will show it, IN as a 45, and OUT as a 44

I think Technically this is illegal because I will be purchasing (WITH THE FIREARMS DEPT AND FEO PERMISSION) a 44, wth a variation for a 45.
    Am I correct?
    Just too many guns! NO, I was only kidding!

My ROA was on the previous owners ticket as a 44 - I had a slot for 45 & I checked the Ruger listing & the gun was a 45

The RFD simply told Thames Valley Police that the 44 was incorrect & 45 was correct

Everyone was happy !

Cheers

Roy