Thread: Guns you couldn't give away!

Smile Guns you couldn't give away!

What is now considered collectable really fascinates me. Many "desirable collectables" couldn't be "given away" in NZ-in their own time.Amongst such guns would be,Sheridans,Setras,Gamos,Daystates,Hyscores,Weble ys,Parker Hales,Daisys and Benjamins.
    Sounds terrible,eh? but such guns hung on the walls of dealers for months-even years.Now,in a" new" consumer age,these items have become quite desirable.What a good thing! :-)Trev

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Well, apart from some Webleys and some Daystates, plus the very early Sheridan, I am not suprised they languished! None of them were competitive then and are only interesting now as curiosities and nostalgia-trips.

Boil them down and send the metal to Weihrauch!

Tis true Trevor.

You forgot the Relums, which were the Gems of their day

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Why? Have they a shortage of door stops?

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Tis true Trevor.
    You forgot the Relums, which were the Gems of their day
    Man after my own heart.
    I cant understand certain normally rational peoples praise of the Relum brand (e.g. 'Relum Ronnie' aka DM80 etc.). IMO the most over rated, over weight, under powered, ugly, 'monkey metal' airguns ever produced and if they hadn't been sold through weekly payment clothing catalogues they would probably never made it to the shores of this country.
    Now Im going to lie down in a dark corner.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Smile

Well, apart from some Webleys and some Daystates, plus the very early Sheridan, I am not suprised they languished! None of them were competitive then and are only interesting now as curiosities and nostalgia-trips.

Hmmmmm

but then again, Weihrauch barrels were made of mild steel, hence the term 'Weihrauch droop', i'll bet you've never heard of a BSA or a webley or even a gamo with 'the droop'!!!!!

I had a HW35e with the dreaded droop, even with the back of the scope mount packed to the hilt with the finest pieces of Park Drive fag packet the poi at 25yds was still around 8" low
    I had to remove the barrel and straighten it in the vice using angle iron and bits of pine wood

I've always loved all types of airguns, old ones especially, it's the same with watches, cars, hell, even women when i was 16...

Regards, John

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I often had problems with "droop" myself. I now just strap on 12 inches of old relum barrel.
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hmmmmm

but then again, Weihrauch barrels were made of mild steel, hence the term 'Weihrauch droop', i'll bet you've never heard of a BSA or a webley or even a gamo with 'the droop'!!!!!

I had a HW35e with the dreaded droop, even with the back of the scope mount packed to the hilt with the finest pieces of Park Drive fag packet the poi at 25yds was still around 8" low
    I had to remove the barrel and straighten it in the vice using angle iron and bits of pine wood.

I've always loved all types of airguns, old ones especially, it's the same with watches, cars, hell, even women when i was 16

Regards, John

John:

Is the famous Weihrauch barrel droop due to poor quality materials? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I often had problems with "droop" myself. I now just strap on 12 inches of old relum barrel.
    Yes, and 10" of barrel still stand proud.

ATB
    Ian

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    THe barrel droop on HW35s was not down to bent barrels or soft metal. I have never seen a convincing example of it anyway.

I.J. you are FAR too rude about the Telly/FEG/Relum range, the materials and workmanship are OK, it is just some of the design is not great.

I.J. you are FAR too rude about the Telly/FEG/Relum range, the materials and workmanship are OK, it is just some of the design is not great.
    Tis true. I stand corrected. Its only the rifles and pistols I find naff.

ATB
    Ian

Do you want to lend my additional twelve inches of quality Relum steel Ian? Might need cleaning up a bit but should shine up nicley after a good polishing.
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

getting back on track / as it were
    in about 2000/1 when i decided to get back into aitgun shooting i decided to px my air arms tx200 sr with cs 1000 laminated stock for a precharged
    not one of the gunshops round the north west wanted it i was told "nobody buys these things anymore "
    ten years later and i could probably sell ten / on here
    in as many minutes

Could,nt give my Relum Telly away because it fell apart 1st the stock screws snapped off, then the cocking arm link snapped, the trigger guard screws lost their thread and fell out, the rear sights fell of at weld and finally the stock split in half. Tried some make shift repairs, gave up and threw it in the bin Shame really as it was quite accurate, well up to 15 yards anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    getting back on track / as it were
    in about 2000/1 when i decided to get back into aitgun shooting i decided to px my air arms tx200 sr with cs 1000 laminated stock for a precharged
    not one of the gunshops round the north west wanted it i was told "nobody buys these things anymore "
    ten years later and i could probably sell ten / on here
    in as many minutes
    As with a lot of things fashion plays a major part in the price.
    I remember talking to an old chap that made a few pints off the back of buying old hammer guns a farmers auctions etc and selling them to a guy that deactivated them. He cringes when he See's how much the same old guns he sold for a few pounds now make.
    Last edited by mjohno; 20-05-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Why? Have they a shortage of door stops?

Man after my own heart.
    I cant understand certain normally rational peoples praise of the Relum brand (e.g. 'Relum Ronnie' aka DM80 etc.). IMO the most over rated, over weight, under powered, ugly, 'monkey metal' airguns ever produced and if they hadn't been sold through weekly payment clothing catalogues they would probably never made it to the shores of this country.
    Now Im going to lie down in a dark corner.

ATB
    Ian

But they were, and as a business move it was very astute as they must have sold thousands to customers who couldn't afford to complain, it was the only way they could get one.