Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol FT / HFT Optics advice please

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick

Pistol FT / HFT Optics advice please

What I'd like to know is what Pistol FT/HFT shooters are using by way of optics and what they've tried, and what suits them or not & why.
    I want to have a try at the Redhill Revolvers course while I'm there and haven't a clue what to try on my Rohms to start with,
    Red Dot?
    Big Mil-Dot scope & Taco Hold
    Any input from current Pistol FT/HFT shooters would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6x32 pistol scope on my LP10 & a Bushnell Trophy 2-6x32 on my Falcon, the elite's optics are fantastic but they aren't cheap, the Trophy was around £100 from the US.

I've never been able to get on with a Red Dot though

jinx is offline Southern Hunter Champion.
    I use a Bushnell Trophy 1 X 28 Red Dot Scope on a Róhm Twinmaster Top, using the 3 MOA dot. I tried a pistol Scope and couldn't get on with it. I also have a Simmons 1-5x20 WTC fitted to another pistol which will only suit freestyle stance, though it works well on 4x mag (max allowed for Pistol HFT), i prefer the red dot by far and do much better with it.

http://www.arcadian-sales.com/Mercha...ed_Dot/73-0134

Hi Nick

At a guess in the NEFTA winter league it's about 3/4 red dot, 1/4 scopes. Taco hold isn't allowed though; arms' length only. I believe pistol HFT in the UKAHFT has an open class to allow taco holds and a traditional class for arms' length.

It's whatever you get on with best. Pistol scopes are like marmite. I started using a Bushnell Elite 2-6x32 which was a beautiful little scope but in the end I found I got on better with the holographic red dot. JSR do a very good 2.5x32 long eye relief pistol scope for £not-a-lot. I've looked through a couple of these at the club and they really are very good for the money. I'd say the safest choice is a quality red dot with a small dot size for precision.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Thanks Guys,
    I'll have to try my red dot collimator and see if I can cadge a go with a variety of different stuff on the day,
    ATB,
    Nick

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    are you planning on going to both shoots?
    if i can make it I've a pistol scope you can use.
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    are you planning on going to both shoots?
    Oh yes,
    (I've had management approval )
    In between providing the 6Yard target system and probably assisting with IPAS I'll be trying to do some shooting and letting guests try pistols from my modest collection
    Regards,
    Nick

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    what zero do people use??

ive had a look on chairgun and a pistol doing 5.5ft/lbs puts everything in a 1inch kill between 8 and 25yards when zeroed at 12yards

its not that simple with a pistol doing 2.5 though. what would you recommend??

not trying to hijack your thread Nick but i thought this would be the appropriate place to bring it up while the conversation of scopes/red dots goes on.
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

i'm looking at buying an alecto for this redhills hft do and sell my beeman p3 on as it will only be gathering dust which is a shame.

what zero do people use??

ive had a look on chairgun and a pistol doing 5.5ft/lbs puts everything in a 1inch kill between 8 and 25yards when zeroed at 12yards

its not that simple with a pistol doing 2.5 though. what would you recommend??

not trying to hijack your thread Nick but i thought this would be the appropriate place to bring it up while the conversation of scopes/red dots goes on.
    Oddly enough I just posted this on the simultaneous UBC thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K
    Best setting I found for that rig (sight line 2" above bore line, 480 fps with 8.4 grain JSBs) is an 11 yard primary zero. Second zero is then at 21.5 yds and so effectively I can aim bang on from 8 to 25 yds as the pellets stays within 0.4" of sight line. If it's a tiny target at around 15-18 yards I'll aim a smidge low, as 9 times out of 10 if I miss due to poor trigger pull, I'll miss high.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Sol,
    I'm getting more good info as a result, keep it up!

Adam,
    You've just answered a question I hadn't thought to ask yet but needed an answer to, you're a star!
    Thanks,
    Nick

What about pellets?
    Are domed heads preferred for non-paper shooting at these distances?
    I don't know nuthin' me!
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    What about pellets?
    Are domed heads preferred for non-paper shooting at these distances?
    I don't know nuthin' me!
    Nick
    Deffo stick to the domes!

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Adam,
    You've just answered a question I hadn't thought to ask yet but needed an answer to, you're a star!
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Which one was that then?

Bob. is offline I think I'll keep with "Registered User" then

Leup

I've been using a Leupold 4x28 FXII on my Alecto for HFT (at Redhill). It was very accurate until the trigger went faulty. I'll be looking to put it on a Rohm Twinmaster Top (if I ever get my hands on one).

I tried using red and green laser dots, but they only show everyone else how unsteady you are (very amusing for the audience!).

I've used a red dot scope on my HW45 Silverstar, and the accuracy isn't bad for a springer. I'll be using that at the next Redhill shoot if I don't find a Rohm by then.

magicniner, I've read on the forums that you're the one to speak to about upping the power of the Rohms? If so, I might just be pestering you when (if) I get mine

See you all at Redhill.

Bob.

Great post Nick,
    With several questions I also wanted to ask.
    Are you guys with rifle scope all using a over arm style.
    Keep the replies coming regarding zero range, shooting styles, choice of optics, etc were are very interested.

Thanks
    Ian
    http://www.dukinfieldagc.org.uk/
    Dukinfield Air Gun Club
    Stockfield Mill, Chadderton, OL9 9EW