Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scope parallax and other questions

scope parallax and other questions

scope parallax and other questions

Go easy on me lol

Ok, got my gun, a Daystate Airwolf MVT .177 flavour, also got my scope, a very nice bushnell Elite 2.5 - 16 x 42

So, having not setup before on my own, and looking for some questions to be answered, I thought i'd pick on the good people of the BBS

I saw on the Daystate Site that they recommend a couple of strips of Negative film underneath the scope at the rear mounting, I just wondered why?? Im sure i've got some here somewhere lol I will have to look!

How do you guys mount and setup your scopes?

From a beginners point of view, I wondered where the scope went on the mounts, how you got it comfortable with your eye so when you look through it, you see the whole circle of target and recticule, not a blur with black edges

I will be zeroing at 35yrds, I think its one of the standard distances used by people doing HFT and also gives a zero at around 14 yrds if i read correctly

HFT guys use a 10x magnification which during a comp cannot be adjusted correct?

So, to the thing I dont understand very well at alll, scope parallax!

I do understand that ideally, the target image, lets say for now a paper target bullseye, should be at one with the scopes crosshair, milldots, whatever the scope uses, so it looks like a complete image if you move your head about, but if the parallax is wrong, it wont, one or other image will move as you bob your head?

So, how exactly is it set?

What do you guys look at for instance when setting it?

Is the thing you look at set at your zero point (35yrds for me)? or is it closer of further away?

Once the parallax is set, can you then leave it, or does it need to be adjusted again?

Confusing to say the least but I thought I would ask so I can get to grips with it, im sure im not the only one

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperami View Post
    I saw on the Daystate Site that they recommend a couple of strips of Negative film underneath the scope at the rear mounting, I just wondered why?? Im sure i've got some here somewhere lol I will have to look!
    It's a solution to allow for the drop, but keep the scope optically centred where it's optics work at their optimum, rather than at the edges of their adjustment, where they're at their worst.

However, I prefer adjustable mounts because it doesn't stress the scope tube.

How do you guys mount and setup your scopes?

From a beginners point of view, I wondered where the scope went on the mounts, how you got it comfortable with your eye so when you look through it, you see the whole circle of target and recticule, not a blur with black edges
    Loosen the scope rings and move the scope back and forth so the picture is good with your head in a comfortable and repeatable position in your main shooting position. Mark the tube with a pencil, so you can return to it, then set the level on the scope so it's not on the piss.

I will be zeroing at 35yrds, I think its one of the standard distances used by people doing HFT and also gives a zero at around 14 yrds if i read correctly

HFT guys use a 10x magnification which during a comp cannot be adjusted correct?

So, to the thing I dont understand very well at alll, scope parallax!

I do understand that ideally, the target image, lets say for now a paper target bullseye, should be at one with the scopes crosshair, milldots, whatever the scope uses, so it looks like a complete image if you move your head about, but if the parallax is wrong, it wont, one or other image will move as you bob your head?

So, how exactly is it set?

What do you guys look at for instance when setting it?

Is the thing you look at set at your zero point (35yrds for me)? or is it closer of further away?

Once the parallax is set, can you then leave it, or does it need to be adjusted again?

Confusing to say the least but I thought I would ask so I can get to grips with it, im sure im not the only one

Cheers!
    Parallax is only corrected at one precise range. In hft you can't shift the parallax to correct it at other ranges that you're shooting at, so you have to develop techniques for either minimising head/eye movement relative to the scope, or determining when it's in the middle of the possible error.

Hiya Rob, thank you for replying

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Parallax is only corrected at one precise range. In hft you can't shift the parallax to correct it at other ranges that you're shooting at, so you have to develop techniques for either minimising head/eye movement relative to the scope, or determining when it's in the middle of the possible error.
    Okay so whats the one precise range?

hi mate

some good questions there, along with some good answers too

it is a dark art to understand for us new comers, but some folks still get it wrong after many years.

however there is some top folks on here to help you, as i have the mct model.
    so i have set it up for 35 yards zero, & i have been too furnace mill & made a zero card.... with the ranges from 10 yard too 55 yards.
    but i will have to redone it as my mct as a fault, as when i lay it down the zero goes off abit.
    so daystate are waiting for some shrouds to come back, so i get pick it up this week fingers crossed.

so i will post some photos of the zero card for you, as you can see the drop & that at other ranges.

just enjoy the mvt as it is a cracking rifle & get some pellets down range asap, as you will love it mate.

Hiya Rob, thank you for replying

Okay so whats the one precise range?
    Assuming you have a scope with parallax adjustment, whatever you set it to

But if you don't then you'll find it could be anything, 50m, 100yds... depends on the scope.

HFT shooters will set it at a range where the blur at either ends will perhaps tell them a little about the range their shooting at, and where the error is minimised for the type of target size their shooting, or where they can use it better.

The thing to remember is the error is only removed at the range you set it to.

try this page........ http://www.arld1.com

its got some interesting stuff, the paralax error info is about halfway down the page.

Mark

rifle and scope

lucky man, i wish my first rifle and scope combo had been an airwolf and an elite, enjoy your shooting, half the fun is learning all the ins and outs, and i can say with confidence, that anything you need to know, will be known by someone on here!! atb john

I have exactly the same set up and it's a great package, the rifle is awesome and the Elite is a very good scope indeed with probably the best rain coating available. It's all the rifle and scope that you will need for pretty much everything you could want to do.
    Good deals with;Highland Warrior, UK Neil, ffireblade, Rapidnick

Assuming you have a scope with parallax adjustment, whatever you set it to .
    Im pretty sure the Bushnell has a Parallax adjustment on it, only got it last week and its been in its box until the gun gets here tomorrow so I have been waiting

HFT shooters will set it at a range where the blur at either ends will perhaps tell them a little about the range their shooting at, and where the error is minimised for the type of target size their shooting, or where they can use it better.
    The thing to remember is the error is only removed at the range you set it to.
    Ok, so there is no hard and fast rule to the distance its set at then? HFT shooters by and large dont set there Parallax to X Distance and leave it there? (not to be confused with Magnification which I know most set to 10x and leave)

Quote Originally Posted by subaru swift View Post
    hi mate

some good questions there, along with some good answers too

just enjoy the mvt as it is a cracking rifle & get some pellets down range asap, as you will love it mate.
    Yup im joining "The Oaks" hopefully as thats near to me and there a friendly bunch.... so im told

Quote Originally Posted by LANKY MK View Post
    try this page........ http://www.arld1.com

its got some interesting stuff, the paralax error info is about halfway down the page.

Mark
    Thank you sir

Quote Originally Posted by scawthorpian View Post
    lucky man, i wish my first rifle and scope combo had been an airwolf and an elite, enjoy your shooting, half the fun is learning all the ins and outs, and i can say with confidence, that anything you need to know, will be known by someone on here!! atb john
    Thanks mate, yup its an expensive combo but worth it I hope

Ok, so there is no hard and fast rule to the distance its set at then? HFT shooters by and large dont set there Parallax to X Distance and leave it there? (not to be confused with Magnification which I know most set to 10x and leave)
    There's no hard and fast rule to set it to, but once set, it can't be moved all through the competition, so it's set to the optimum for shooting HFT targets.

You can't adjust anything on an HFT scope, so it's essentially set up to give the best of all worlds across the targets. But there are some more detailed aspects to parallax which means that one shooter may set theirs differently to the next. But once set, it can't be moved all competition.

Ok well Im starting to grasp it lol but I as a beginner have no idea where it should be set to lol

When I was using the 6500 last year the parralax was set at 23yds on my main outfit (Wolf)

Ok well Im starting to grasp it lol but I as a beginner have no idea where it should be set to lol
    pm on the way

Quote Originally Posted by airgun god View Post
    pm on the way
    Got it

Cheers for all the replies guys its very helpful believe me

if theres any tips let us know too !!

more tips & hints the better he-he