Thread: Stock refinishing on "1980s classics"

Bormla Malta (& sometimes odd bits of Brit)

Stock refinishing on "1980s classics"

The general theme of my collection is "the guns I wanted but couldn't afford in my teens", in the golden age of airguns that was the early-mid 1980s. With a few '70s classics thrown in, and a few more recent things (but if newer it has to be really special).

I have a few items that are well-used, with tatty stocks, mostly springers like an FWB, couple of Airsporters, Original 35, 45, 50, Anschutz 335, etc.

What is the thinking in these parts on refinishing stocks (with proper hand-rubbed oil finish, even where the factory finish was varnish) on this sort of thing? I don't mean how to do it, I mean from the collectibility point of view. I must say here and now that I don't plan on selling any of these items this side of my death, but would it be considered anathema, for example, to spruce up my very tatty Airsporter Centenary stock?

Taking it one step further, and given that the 80s were the start and arguably heyday of the "custom air rifle" thing, would it be a crime to add a nice contrasting wood butt spacer, grip cap or forend-tips to a bog-standard stock? Take as read that the work will be done to a professional standard, of course.

I'd be interested to know the thoughts of others.

Cheers

Adrian

80's wasn't that long ago. Mint in box for popular models make, (or are stuck at) £250. Something very expensive at the time might make more. A whole host of field used rifles are in the £100 to £160 bracket. Plinking rifles nearer £60-80. So a refinished stock done well isn't going to add or take money off. Done badly then sure a good bit off. In fact rebluing, stock enhancement, tuned innards can only be for your own enjoyment as you won't get your money back or even break even if you sell on.

Older guns aren't exactly flying off the shelves and things seem to be slow right now. Always very price sensitive... a tenner out and it won't move.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    The general theme of my collection is "the guns I wanted but couldn't afford in my teens", in the golden age of airguns that was the early-mid 1980s. With a few '70s classics thrown in, and a few more recent things (but if newer it has to be really special).

I have a few items that are well-used, with tatty stocks, mostly springers like an FWB, couple of Airsporters, Original 35, 45, 50, Anschutz 335, etc.

What is the thinking in these parts on refinishing stocks (with proper hand-rubbed oil finish, even where the factory finish was varnish) on this sort of thing? I don't mean how to do it, I mean from the collectibility point of view. I must say here and now that I don't plan on selling any of these items this side of my death, but would it be considered anathema, for example, to spruce up my very tatty Airsporter Centenary stock?

Taking it one step further, and given that the 80s were the start and arguably heyday of the "custom air rifle" thing, would it be a crime to add a nice contrasting wood butt spacer, grip cap or forend-tips to a bog-standard stock? Take as read that the work will be done to a professional standard, of course.

I'd be interested to know the thoughts of others.

Cheers

Adrian
    they are YOUR guns so its ok to get them into a state that makes you happy with them
    someone once questioned me about threading one of my beeman C1s
    as it would de value it never going to be worth more than £ 150 anyway
    i would much prefer these oldies to be enjoyed than stuck in a cupboard and worried about
    that's MY viewpoint anyway
    MALLY

Bormla Malta (& sometimes odd bits of Brit)
    Thanks guys - that is pretty much confirming my thinking.

Adrian

I think it's very much a matter of personal choice. As a general rule refinishing anything but a very tatty and perhaps damaged stock with little or none of its original finish is bound to affect its value from a collectable point of view. But that really applies to older collectables, not guns from the modern era of which mint specimens are more likely to be the ones that end up in collections. I also think you should do whatever suits you best with guns that you plan to keep and have special value to you. One thing I would add is that IMO beech doesn't refinish well for the most part. Most manufacturers cover it up with a deep stain varnish for good reason and oiled beech doesn't generally come up well. IMO that is.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I reckon it depends upon the grain quality of the beech. Just refinished a FWB Sport. Initially used many layers of walnut oil followed by a couple of tru- oil and is looking good.
    I believe that your own enjoyment of using your guns is more important than any danger of them losing value in the future. I certaintly enjoyed doing my own stock and would have no hesitation doing another if it improved my own enjoyment of owning and using the gun. If you can see a decent grain pattern below the levels of stain/varnish/lacquer then go for it!
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

re-finishing oldies

I agree if it isn't mint to start with whats the harm & if you actually use your classics I find that awful slippy varnish finish on 80's springers no where near as good as oiled in the feild. I saw a original mod 50 for sale on the bbs recently with a nice forend cap added & oiled, looked better than my original varnished one by miles.