Thread: Anshultz XIV

Anshultz XIV

I know that this is not a target rifle, but standing at 25 M it wil outshoot me.
    My wife & I use it for 25M freehand comps. I find it frustrating as we can get into the high 80's but not crack the 90's , scoring wise. I am used to sport shooting & grip the fore end unlike target shooters who seem to support the fore end with a gloved fist.
    Is there a stop I can put on the fore end & is their way always better (even with my XIV carbine?

On the long run, yes, resting is better than holding tight. Cause holding tires very easily whereas with resting, you kinda rest it on the bones instead of using muscle. Muscle=movement!
    Its very important to relax yr left, resting, arm and hand as much as possible. Less tremors=easier aiming and less fatique.
    Hów you rest it on yr hand/fist, is very personal, and depends on the gun (balance) and personal build.
    Also, do you use the hunting stance?(=with elbow loose from body) or target?(elbow rested on hip/rib cage?). Target one is MUCH more stable and less fatique.
    Also, have you ever tested it for ammo?
    ATB,
    yana

Thanks

That is very helpful. I use a hunting stance. Would it help to have a stop screwed into the fore end? The ammo is SMK & good. It groups better than I can shoot prone or standing & is only slightly behind the dedicated benchrest 22s.(i.e I will get 98 & they would get 100 of the benchrest. Any more tips greatly appreciated as I really want to improve my shooting.

It depends on what "standing free hand" type of competitin you are shooting. If it is the LSR type shooting which basically requires using a sporting rifle then actually high 80's are reasonably good scores and you know that you are doing very well if you can consistently break 90. You need to read the rules as IIRC without going and looking in the rules, there are quite strict rules on what you can do regarding both what you can add to the rifle and also what kit you wear. I would definatly get yourself a good mitt, it will allow you to use a target stance (supporing the rifle just infront of the trigger guard with the rifle on the fist) which will help you. I don't think fixing anything to the fore end will be of help to you. It is quite possible to use the target stance with a well designed sporting rifle stock. This is the stance that I use for LSR using both my pre 1958 Anschutz 64 sporter, the stock on this rifle is quite small in nearly all dimensions, as well as my AA S400.
    I used to shoot UIT (ISSF now) 3P competitions but for that you really need to be using a deicated target rifle, and you really want to be using a good free rifle for that, and probably with one of the new style Alu stocks for the best fit, although the old Anschutz 1813 that I used was not bad and would still be competetive in the right hands, infact I have heard that some shooters are moving back to those types of stock especially for prone.
    I would also suggest trying some better quality ammunition and if you have the chance to try it off the bench find the best grouping ammunition that you can find, I would suggest trying Eley Match or the equivalent RWS and lapua products if you can get them. I definatly find that although the groups with the cheaper ammo may look good, they tend to be subject to fliers that can be very damaging to your scores.

Alan

I shoot a 1417, for LSR comps..
    I use the Target stance, without a mitt ( if you wear one, then it gets weighed with your rifle), I have a muzzle break on the front, that reduces flip, & I also use T22 ammo,
    be careful on ammo..... if its like mine, it wont like, any target rifle ammo... like, Tenex, Match, Team or R50, ect....
    Eley sport, club, Gecco or T22 i have found ok.... but try them, you never know.
    there are 2 main rules you must stick by...1 = trigger weight must be over 500grams, & 2 = overall weight must be less than 4.5kgs

hope that helps
    Last edited by treetop; 20-07-2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: had wrong wieght... 4.5 not 5.5!!! nob!!
    Rem700 6.5 Creedmoor XLR Envy - Rem700 .20 prac XLR Element
    CZ527 .17 Hornet AICS - Anschutz 1417 .22lr