Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What red dot

Quote Originally Posted by dicky View Post
    I bought a holographic sight last week from jsr, I didn't fit it until today and I too had to play around it by manufacturing a spacer for it,
    when I fitted it without a spacer the whole thing was raising on one side and lifting off the rail.
    I'll reserve judgement on how it works until sunday...when i'll be trying it off a pod and in a competition or two.
    yeah i noticed that too.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by dicky View Post
    I bought a holographic sight last week from jsr, I didn't fit it until today and I too had to play around it by manufacturing a spacer for it,
    when I fitted it without a spacer the whole thing was raising on one side and lifting off the rail.
    I'll reserve judgement on how it works until sunday...when i'll be trying it off a pod and in a competition or two.
    You need two spacers,
    One to centre the sight and one to space the top leg of the clamp so that the clamp outer face stays vertical as you tighten it, you can use wire, rod or pretty much anything for the clamp top spacer like this -

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...obOnAtomic.jpg

then the sight pulls down level rather than lifting on the clamp side,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    You need two spacers,
    One to centre the sight and one to space the top leg of the clamp so that the clamp outer face stays vertical as you tighten it, you can use wire, rod or pretty much anything for the clamp top spacer like this -

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...obOnAtomic.jpg

then the sight pulls down level rather than lifting on the clamp side,
    Regards,
    Nick

Already sorted,

Thanks Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    you shouldn't have enough of a loopy trajectory to miss something at 5m if you've zeroed at 10m though
    I think that depends what he is shooting at though Sol. For IPAS and Practical Pistol I would agree with you. If we are talking target shooting though I could see there being enough of a diffeence between a sight zero'd at 10M hitting a V Bull at that distance but a "miss" or lesser score at 5M.

Having said that I am no expert and I haven't tested my theory, so I am happy to be proved wrong.
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

Quote Originally Posted by sks01773 View Post
    How many meters should i set the zero at.
    I think the answer to that lies in what type of shooting you are going to do.

If it's Pistol HFT, where the targets are laid out at various distances between 8 and 20 metres I would Zero my scope/Red dot for a mid range position and use "holdover/holdunder" for the nearer and further targets as necessary.

If it's for IPAS or Practical Pistol I would zero it at 10M and just aim at the Iron Plate/IPSC target, maybe a little higher for the further targets, say toward the top of the plate.

If it is for paper punching and you want pinpoint accuracy where you want pellet strike to be exactly on point of aim, then I would zero my sight for the exact distance.

As I said in another post though, I do not pretend to be an expert, so others may disagree with me.

All the best
    Bob
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

I bought the holographic sight from jsr,seems ok ,i zeroed it for 10 meters target bulls eye accuracy,but when i tried to hit a 5 meter target missed it,why is this happening any ideas,or do i have to zero on different distances every time eg 10,15,20 meters
    Quote Originally Posted by rattycatcher View Post
    Zeroing a red dot is the same as zeroing a scope or any other, (including iron) sight. Owing to the curved trajectory of the pellet a sight usually has two distances at which the point of impact will be on the cross hairs or in this case red dot, known as the primary and secondary zero. All other distances will require "hold over" or "hold under".
    Bob is correct, it's a case of either zeroing for the exact distance you're shooting or learning the trajectory and aiming off.

Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    you shouldn't have enough of a loopy trajectory to miss something at 5m if you've zeroed at 10m though
    With open sights I'd agree with you but with a red dot or scope it's more about height above sight line than loopy trajectory. 12 ft.lbs .177 rifles zeroed at 10m will be shooting very low at 5m. Even if your pellet went straight as a laser beam with no drop it would be the same story, just imagine the sight line and pellet path as forming a long thin triangle with the height of scope above barrel forming the shortest side.

If you think about it, right at the muzzle your sight line will be a certain height above your pellet. So if zeroed at 10m, at 5m your pellet will strike low, approximately half that height. The higher your sight is mounted, the greater this difference in POI.

How many meters should i set the zero at.
    The distance that you do most of your shooting. The other ranges you will have to work out your holdover, but I'll let you into a little trick I found with one of my multi-reticle sights. One of the reticles is a tiny dot surrounded by a circle with crosshairs. If zeroed at 10m, I find that at 5m, the POI is bang on 6 o'clock on the circle

You will have to experiment as it all depends on the reticles of your sight and the height of the sight line above the centre of the barrel.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

yes you are correct using the technique above ,iam able to hit bullseyes on both 5 and 10 meters.

Sheeeesh, glad I didn't make too big a fool of myself with my explanation then

holographic sight

I used mine today and I wasn't happy with it...so it's back to the AGS 4x32...so i'll keep the red dot sight for another toy when I need a quick reference point where 2" groups at 25yds are adequate....good for plates but not for precision & timed or multi target comps