Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black powder in wild west times

With regard to the battle rifles wasn't the problem of fouling largely solved with the minie ball? The bullet was smaller than the bore, thus easy to load into a fouled barrel. But then on firing the base expanded to grip the rifling. Then as it left the barrel in the expanded state it took some of the old fouling with it. Thus keeping the level of gunk to a constant and manageable level.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post

I've also often wondered how CW era soldiers managed to keep their rifles clean. Did they really resort to pouring boiling water through them each night around the campfire? And how many shots did they get off in battle before their rifles were hopelessly clogged?

Jim
    I read* that Peninsular war soldiers, at a lull in battle, used to urinate down the muzzles of their muskets or rifles to wash out some of the fouling.

* Yes ok, I read it in the Sharpe novels, but Cornwell does research his subject.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    With regard to the battle rifles wasn't the problem of fouling largely solved with the minie ball? The bullet was smaller than the bore, thus easy to load into a fouled barrel. But then on firing the base expanded to grip the rifling. Then as it left the barrel in the expanded state it took some of the old fouling with it. Thus keeping the level of gunk to a constant and manageable level.
    Makes sense.

I wonder how they managed with round ball, though?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    I read* that Peninsular war soldiers, at a lull in battle, used to urinate down the muzzles of their muskets or rifles to wash out some of the fouling.

* Yes ok, I read it in the Sharpe novels, but Cornwell does research his subject.
    Must have made for some interesting steam: especially with a very overheated barrel, or on a very cold day!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

In the days of smoothbore muskets the only solution was a loose fitting ball, hence the very limited range of 50 yards...ish. The earliest attempts at rifling barrels were not intended to stabilise the projectile. It was actually intended to improve the FIT of the ball whilst giving the fouling somewhere to build up.

When we lost our pistols I bought a repo Rogers & Spencer BP revolver. To be honest I had no great love for this substitute firearm and showed it little respect. Usually shot about 100 rds a session using Pyrodex.

The evening finished by pouring a kettle of hot water over the metal parts and a quick spray of wd40. Once in a while the cylinder was removed to check for any build up of crud, never had any excess.

Still a nasty smokey smelly thing.

Good luck, Phil

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    What an interesting thread.

Thanks to you all that was very informative. Off to look for more info now, you've whetted my thirst for more
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    When we lost our pistols I bought a repo Rogers & Spencer BP revolver. To be honest I had no great love for this substitute firearm and showed it little respect. Usually shot about 100 rds a session using Pyrodex.

The evening finished by pouring a kettle of hot water over the metal parts and a quick spray of wd40. Once in a while the cylinder was removed to check for any build up of crud, never had any excess.

Still a nasty smokey smelly thing.

Good luck, Phil
    That's the way I've heard most BP revolver shooters clean them, Phil: either that, or remove the grips and put the gun in the dishwasher.

So, you were getting off 100 or so rounds, and the fouling wasn't building up to the point where the cylinder stopped turning? That's pretty good! Even a nitro cylinder can get gummed up after 1,000 rounds or so.

I wonder: does Pyrodex have the same fouling characteristics as black powder? Anyone know?

Jim

So, you were getting off 100 or so rounds, and the fouling wasn't building up to the point where the cylinder stopped turning? That's pretty good! Even a nitro cylinder can get gummed up after 1,000 rounds or so.

I wonder: does Pyrodex have the same fouling characteristics as black powder? Anyone know?

Jim[/QUOTE]

If you grease the cylinder pin it reduces dramatically the amount of build up that gums up the pistol.

My experience of Pyrodex is that it does gum up the pistol but not so quite as badly as blackpowder.

Smile

As above. Iv been shooting pyrodex in my ROA today and found it not much different to a clean powder such as swiss pistol. Both are much cleaner than cheaper powders.