Thread: How accurate are the Crosman 1740/2240?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How accurate are the Crosman 1740/2240?

Hi all, as per title...how accurate are they as i fancy buying the 1740?

Regards
    Andy

hi

mm there a good little tool for rats about as accurate as pistols can be

In my experience, providing the barrel crown is finished properly, they are pretty accurate.

2240/1740 are still co2 which of course you have to allow for temperature changes effecting POI.

I've had loads of Crosmans and find a well sorted 1377 is about as accurate as they get for the entry level Crosman stuff.

hj

http://airgunbuyer.com/Showproducts....20Air%20Rifles

when did the sniper ones come out

I want one for punching bullseyes out at 6yrds/10 metres and they do seem like a good buy

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    I want one for punching bullseyes out at 6yrds/10 metres and they do seem like a good buy
    1740 will be fine for that....Be warned though, Crosman fiddling is an addiction!

Good guns, simple design and good performance on a budget...

The one thing that seriously let's em down is the trigger, some improvements are possible but there's a limit to how good it can get.

I think they can turn into a money pit if you ask me. I whacked a stock, an 18" .22 barrel, loads of brass bits, new springs and flat top piston on my 1377. It's pretty nifty, will do 10.9fpe and is deadly accurate at 6y and 10m with a red dot, with a scope, 25m no problem! In hindsight though, I'd have skipped the hastle and just bought a TX200 instead!

Quote Originally Posted by fok View Post
    In my experience, providing the barrel crown is finished properly, they are pretty accurate.

2240/1740 are still co2 which of course you have to allow for temperature changes effecting POI.

I've had loads of Crosmans and find a well sorted 1377 is about as accurate as they get for the entry level Crosman stuff.
    Unless two shooting sessions go from hot summer (!!) to cold winter, you won't notice the difference, especially with a pistol. In practical terms this CO2 POI change is almost a myth.

With my Alfa, the pellets wander equally North/South and East/West, so CO2 is not the problem. As they say it's the mutt behind the butt.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    Unless two shooting sessions go from hot summer (!!) to cold winter, you won't notice the difference, especially with a pistol. In practical terms this CO2 POI change is almost a myth.
    Don't you find that if you fire lots of shots in quick succession, the cold from the CO2 affects it?

Maybe I've been unlucky, but I've never found CO2 as reliable as the pump Crosmans for consistancy and accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by fok View Post
    Don't you find that if you fire lots of shots in quick succession, the cold from the CO2 affects it?

Maybe I've been unlucky, but I've never found CO2 as reliable as the pump Crosmans for consistancy and accuracy.
    If I knock 6 or 8 shots off quickly with the S & W, yes, but the Alfa is single shot, bolt action and the 15 or 20 seconds between shots are enough for it to recover, even in winter.

The OP was asking about a single shot pistol, so I assumed target rather than practical pistol. Honestly, for single shot rifles or pistols, I think this POI change is a bit overdone.

BTW I think the Olympic 10m pistol record is still held by a CO2 pistol. If not, it has only been beaten very recently.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Napalm is offline Pickle McLovin'...it's a man thing
    I can buy a Crosman 1377 over here for around $50/$60.. it's advertised a single pump pneumatic pistol... I thought these were Co2 powered?
    Glock 19, 43. Two ARs and a few other assorted rifles.

I Had a 1740 with a 10" barrel, great little target pistol, wish i had never sold it now.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Right thats it...I'm buying one,trouble is finding a 1740!

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    Right thats it...I'm buying one,trouble is finding a 1740!
    Hi Andy

If you buy a 2240 then all the top end off a 1377 will fit on to convert it.

I just happen to have the top end off a 1377 if you'd like to borrow it until you find one.

The 1377 barrels and breaches often come up for sale when people convert 1377's into 1322's (about £20).

All the best Mick