Thread: Webley Service Air Rifle MkII - .177

Webley Service Air Rifle MkII - .177

I've got one of these in my loft in working condition. It was my late Grand Father’s and I don't really need or want it. Any ideas about its value and where the best place to dispose of it might be? I've read up on it a bit and I believe it may have originally had 3 barrels, unfortunately it's only got the 1 barrel (.177) and no box.

Phirepower

Without the serial number, which will determine which of the 3 patterns it is, and knowing what it's physical and working conditions are, it's impossible to give even an approximate valuation, as the price range for a single barrelled unboxed Mk.2 Webley Service, can run from £250 - £450.
    Pictures would be of help in determining a valuation.

Serial Number & Photo's

Troubleshooter - Thanks for your help.

I can't find a serial number, the only number I can find is Patent No:571548

I've posted some photo's at : http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae11/Phirepower09/

The condition is generally good, a few marks with some slight rusting on the barrel.

Andy (Phirepower)

Serial Number

Just found it!

S9316

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste

Service

It is version 3 ( mine is S9101) and if your photos are a true indication of condition I`d say £200-£250, maybe a little more if someone is keen on a 0.177" barrel.
    John
    Laudator temporis acti

It's worth at least £300 in that condition.

A hint - just apply a little oil onto the metal bits every few days over about three weeks or so.
    It will darken them and make it look even better (worth more).

I'll be honest with you - people will pay heaps just for the .177 barrel - I WOULD because I want one desperately.

However I think it only fair to point out that, if you really want to sell this, then you should realise that you should auction to the highest bidder - you might be surprised at how much you get.
    Last edited by PaulR; 12-06-2010 at 11:06 PM.

Hello,

I agree with what has been said by Troubleshooter and Pagoda113.
    £200 - £250 is a fair price for that item.

However, as our Guardian Angel will point out, this is a sales section.
    It is not an auction section. So decide what price you would like for this item and try it. If it sells, good for you. If not you can always lower the asking price a bit.

Regards,

Sam

My apologies to Gareth …………..

Sold a .22 3rd pattern service rifle (in slightly better condition...) for £250 +p&p back last year...it sold pretty quick at that price too! -> Link <-

Being the more desirable .177 cal, but in slightly worse condition (your gun does look like it has some pitting) I would say your service has got to be worth around the same sort of money, say £250-£275, for a quick and fair deal all round...just my humble opinion

EDIT: just to add that I have no interest at all in buying this item...unless yer man there be wanting to swap it for a Gem!...<hah!>
    Last edited by DCL_dave; 13-06-2010 at 08:32 AM.
    blah blah

It does appear to be complete, even though in real need of some TLC.
    Providing it cocks and fires a pellet with reasonable velocity, it's got to be worth a minimum of £250, therefore, I would suggest an asking price of £300 + carriage.
    It would appear that a .177 Service is currently quite desirable, as it is better suited for target shooting.
    If the OP isn't sure about the correct application of some TLC, leave it alone, as an un-restored gun is far more desirable than a poorly restored gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
    It does appear to be complete, even though in real need of some TLC.
    Providing it cocks and fires a pellet with reasonable velocity, it's got to be worth a minimum of £250, therefore, I would suggest an asking price of £300 + carriage.
    It would appear that a .177 Service is currently quite desirable, as it is better suited for target shooting.
    If the OP isn't sure about the correct application of some TLC, leave it alone, as an un-restored gun is far more desirable than a poorly restored gun.
    Agreed - all I was suggesting was applying some oil to it -it does no harm and can improve the appearance - not to mention preservation.

As a point of order I was not suggesting it should be auctioned on this site - I know that we don't do this - nor was I making an offer - I will wait to see whether it appears on the Sales section and decide then.

Thanks for all your help, i'll think a bit more seriously about selling it!

Cheers

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    My apologies to Gareth ………….
    No need. Quite like being thought of as the Collector's Section Guardian Angel . For ref however, and just in case, those who haven't, please read the sticky as in this link here: http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372921 . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    No need. Quite like being thought of as the Collector's Section Guardian Angel . For ref however, and just in case, those who haven't, please read the sticky as in this link here: http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372921 . Atb: G.
    Thought you might see the lighter side of my comment