Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6mm BB limitations?

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends

6mm BB limitations?

I'm curious about the limitations of a 6mm BB pistol when it it comes to paper target shooting. Would the BB bounce back from a catalogue or carpet type backstop? if you used a plumbers putty type backstop, would that work? I'm thinking about the Dan Wesson 6mm BB pistol. It seems to have plenty of power but are there shortfalls? Would you be able to use one on an IPAS target safely?

Sorry there's a lot of questions, thanks for looking though.

ATB
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    i was reading the ipas rules and it said you can use bbs aslong as you can prove to the ro that the bb is compleatly distroyed on imact with the plate.
    dont know if it will be destroyed or not as i havnt got a bb gun, yet
    hth
    sol
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

I suppose it depends on what bb's you are using, copper and steel are a No No for ipas as Sol has already stated, so thats leaves lead, i would have thought with enough power they should just flatten against the plates.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    i was reading the ipas rules and it said you can use bbs aslong as you can prove to the ro that the bb is compleatly distroyed on imact with the plate.
    dont know if it will be destroyed or not as i havnt got a bb gun, yet
    hth
    sol
    dont know if it helps but i have done airsoft for years and most bb's dont shatter but are Biodegradable
    Air Arms S200 MK3 in .177 with multi-shot

dam right im good in bed, i can sleep for days

6mm bb

At home i use a cardboard box about 15" square stuffed with scrunched up newspaper, i get no rebounds, however shooting against steel they sometimes shatter, sometimes nasty rebounds!!...mike...

i have an m249 bb M/G and the bbs smash to bits on a metal backstop at over 15 yards. U should be fine with the wesson. I had a ruger just like the wesson that put out 4j i think double the wesson? that compleatly obliterated the bb on impact.
    You tube channel bassmanrich44 2000 subscribers and counting! 5000 now

My BB pistol isn't as powerful as the Dan Wesson but the pellets bounce like mad off a hard surface. I shoot into a cardboard box with a layer of packing foam to stop the pellets. The smooth barrel doesn't make for particularly high accuracy - maybe the Dan Wesson will be different.

It's a shame BB guns are harder to get than air pistols - I think they make a great introduction to target shooting and they're much safer to learn with.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
    My BB pistol isn't as powerful as the Dan Wesson but the pellets bounce like mad off a hard surface. I shoot into a cardboard box with a layer of packing foam to stop the pellets. The smooth barrel doesn't make for particularly high accuracy - maybe the Dan Wesson will be different.

It's a shame BB guns are harder to get than air pistols - I think they make a great introduction to target shooting and they're much safer to learn with.
    I don't know...as you say, they bounce like mad off hard surfaces.

The irony is that BB guns, though lower powered on average than rifled airguns, are more dangerous to the shooter, because of richochets. Pellets tend to flatten and stop on impact: BB's tend to bounce back.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post
    I'm curious about the limitations of a 6mm BB pistol when it it comes to paper target shooting. Would the BB bounce back from a catalogue or carpet type backstop? if you used a plumbers putty type backstop, would that work? I'm thinking about the Dan Wesson 6mm BB pistol. It seems to have plenty of power but are there shortfalls? Would you be able to use one on an IPAS target safely?

Sorry there's a lot of questions, thanks for looking though.

ATB
    You say that you are after a Dan Wesson 6mm BB pistol the problem is unless you are skermisher or reinactor you cannot buy one that shoots plastic 6mm BB but looking on the bright side you can buy the .177 version that shoots pellets so I am told or am I getting it wrong I'm thinking about the revolver one other thing you can get sticky targets for plastic bb

Quote Originally Posted by beagle2 View Post
    You say that you are after a Dan Wesson 6mm BB pistol the problem is unless you are skermisher or reinactor you cannot buy one that shoots plastic 6mm BB but looking on the bright side you can buy the .177 version that shoots pellets so I am told or am I getting it wrong I'm thinking about the revolver one other thing you can get sticky targets for plastic bb
    Not so. If the power is over 1 joule they are classed as airguns and can be bought by anyone who can buy any other air pistol, though not by mail order. If the power is under 1 joule they suddenly become really dangerous RIFs (Realistic Imitation Firearms) and a whole new set of restrictions apply. But mail order is suddenly ok. You really couldn't make it up, but it's true.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    Not so. If the power is over 1 joule they are classed as airguns and can be bought by anyone who can buy any other air pistol, though not by mail order. If the power is under 1 joule they suddenly become really dangerous RIFs (Realistic Imitation Firearms) and a whole new set of restrictions apply. But mail order is suddenly ok. You really couldn't make it up, but it's true.
    So you are saying that I can go in to this shop in Swindon and buy this it is 2 joules I do not think that they would let me have one somehow.
    http://www.swindonairsoft.co.uk/prod...KX%2DTT&cat=80

Exclamation 6mm bb

So you are saying that I can go in to this shop in Swindon and buy this it is 2 joules I do not think that they would let me have one somehow.
    He's right my rfd will sell me 1 if its over 1 joule, if its under i need a skirmishing licence!! or have a bright orange thingee!!...mike...

i have a dan wesson, i walked into my local shop and bought it, its over 2 joules just. i had no problems getting it at all and i dont do reenactments neither am i a skirmisher
    the voices made me do it, they tell me things, and they are talking now:eek:

He he just tp confuse everyone though, there is a hammer whats it target bb pistol in the for sale section. Thats quite a strange thing dont you think? by the looks of that it looks pretty accurate to me.
    You tube channel bassmanrich44 2000 subscribers and counting! 5000 now

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Thanks for all the replies guys. The one thing I don't seem to have an answer for is the suitability for paper punching, I'm talking 6mm BB here not 4.5mm, especially the Police Comp. It's the back stop construction I'm most concerned about.

Thanks
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it