Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Falcon T50 FT scope

The new Falcon T50 FT scope

Falcon optics are soon to release thier new T50 10-50x60 FT scope, I have been lucky enough to get my hands on a pre production model and took it for a field test last weekend!
    the results were an eye opener and I though I would give you guys a heads up on this very promising scope! Current reticle is mildot but this may be refined on the production model.

Bear in mind these are initial impressions but if the production versions are this good they represent a viable alternative to the Nikko Diamond, and as Falcon are looking to price the scope under £500 it's of even more interest to those who cannot stretch to the Diamonds asking price!

Installation
    The scope was fitted in a B-Square fully adjustable mounts on my HW100S using JSB 4.52 Exact.

Zero was at 35yds with the coarse adjustment on mount and fine tuned on the optically centred scope.

Conditions

We used our 100m FT range for this test as it is marked out in 5yd intervals and is level.
    2 deg C still air with a low sun casting lots of shadow but good lighting due to clear cold air and no airborne dust or foliage.
    For a benchmark we took along a new model Nikko Diamond and made direct comparison between the two.

Eye bell

To help with the test we had one 52 year old, one 28year old, one 43year old with glasses (myself) and my 13 year old son.

All of us were able to focus the rear lens onto the reticule with no problems and the eye relief gave no problems with finding a comfortable scope position.

Clarity/brightness

The sharpness of the image even at 50Mag in impressive, it is considerably better than a nighteater or Viper despite their 32x mag, it also beats the diamond on sharpness and equals it in brightness of image at all magnifications!

Sidewheel focus

The acid test if there ever was one for this kind of scope!

Test consisted of wrapping the sidewheel in masking tape then focusing the scope at each 5yd interval from 10yds to 55yds and including 8yds marking the sidewheel for each range, ranges were then re focused at random until every range had been repeated at least three times and checked to make sure the marks corresponded precisely each time, once the task had been completed new tape was applied and the test was repeated by each tester!

The result of this test was practically 100% repeatability by all testers and was able to match the diamond in rangefinding ability, the only noted difference between them was more movement on the sidewheel of the Falcon between ranges which is beneficial in marking the sidewheel as you have more space between marks, so we can happily state the scope has a slight edge over the Diamond but it’s a very close run thing!

The snap in is very precise, its either in our out of focus with zero backlash or “mush” in focus and as mentioned earlier during these test we all noted a sharper image than the Diamond.

The 100yd maximum focus on the sidewheel before infinite was noted by all of us and many comments were made as to why this wasn’t a common practice on FT scopes which regularly focus past this range before reaching infinite setting, the ability to focus down to 6yds even at 20x mag was also noted with enthusiasm!

To put the scope to a more stringent test we sub divided the ranges from 45 to 55 in 2.5yd intervals, then tested to see if we could repeatedly focus on each range, this was achieved with results as good as the diamond we used as a comparison!

Turrets

Three grub screw fixing is used and the turret can be reset to zero by slacking the screws and slipping the turret, the turrets are easy to use with a wide enough base circle so the graduations are clearly read, as are the vertical marks on the turret base.

The movement of the turret is precise with good feel (despite the use of gloves on a very cold day) and audible clicks, compared to the Diamond the turrets are easier to grasp but the diamond has a slight edge in feel possibly due to a heavier indent spring but then loses out on the clicks as you can barely hear them, both scopes have zero backlash and seem well engineered in this regard.

Tracking

This test was conducted in my workshop at 7yds taking advantage at the impressively short range the scope focuses down to, the rifle was fired off a bagged rest to eliminate shake by the shooter and consisted of a vertical line set with a plumb line with a 3mm dot in the middle as the aim point.

The zero was checked to ensure it was precisely on the line then a new line was drawn and a single shot fired, we then adjusted the turret randomly up/left/down/right two turns or so per adjustment to try and throw the scope off zero when reset to 00 on the turrets, the next shot fired hit the exact same hole as the first, this was repeated several times proving the scopes ability to return to zero!

Next test was to adjust the scope up and down in a set sequence covering 100moa on the turrets in 20moa steps with one shot fired per step, this was to see if the shot wandered offline during vertical adjustment, the test was completed with no deviation, the sequence was then repeated to see if the shots hit the same points second time round!

The result was 100% consistent confirming this is indeed a very accurate scope in terms of tracking reliability, it beat the Diamond in this test due to the Diamond not focusing clearly on the line at this range, but in terms of mechanics I suspect there is no difference between them!

Conclusion

the scope shrugged off every test we threw at it, its easily as good as a Diamond under these test conditions, and in some ways better

we were all highly impressed with the optical clarity especially given the price range Falcon have suggested, when I told the guys how much they are hoping to sell it for they all said “seriously?”

Would I buy one? Put it this way, it’s staying on my HW100 and I will be using it for the rest of the winter series and will let you know how I get on and how it holds up under comp conditions!

The lads are impressed and I will show the scope to the competitors at the comps to see what they think!

Oh and if the production scopes are this good I plan to order one for my son too
    Last edited by Artfull-Bodger; 24-12-2009 at 08:07 PM.

just a quicky how heavy is the scope compared to the nikko
    steyr lg110ft black/leup prem efr,steyr lg110ft black 10 metre match diopters,steyr lg100 ft barley/leup comp prem ret

it's roughly 20mm longer and a shade heavier, I didnt weigh it unfortunatly and the diamond was mounted on a HW100k as opposed to my S so its difficult to give a precise answer, but it is slightly heavier!

Chris just checked, the scope is 460mm long and 971 grammes without sunshade!

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    It's roughly 20mm longer and a shade heavier, I didn't weigh it unfortunately and the diamond was mounted on a HW100k as opposed to my S, so it's difficult to give a precise answer, but it is slightly heavier!
    Do you mean slightly heavier than a Nighteater or heavier than a 35 - 40 ozs 'big' Nikko? If the latter ...... fork me, that's substantial. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

on the BAR website tbey state the Diamond weight as 1005grammes, the Falcon is 971 Grammes so actually its a shade lighter, just goes to show theres no substitute for actually weighing them!

Hope it's better than the T40,not a patch on my Nikko Diamond.

well in a back to back test it had the edge on the Diamond, sharper optics, more space between marks on the wheel, it's lighter too it seems now i have weighed it and it focuses down to 6 yards at 20x mag, so it's looking promising!

whens it likely to hit the shops as in the market for a new ft scope
    sounds very interesting

wayne
    HFT 500.177 HAWKE VANTAGE HW97 .177 HAWKE AIRMAX
    http://colnevalleyagc.wix.com/colnevalleyagc and http://www.cambridgehft.co.uk/

if they are like the rest they will be goooooooooood

Quote Originally Posted by wayne pearce View Post
    whens it likely to hit the shops as in the market for a new ft scope
    sounds very interesting

wayne
    Falcon hope to have them out at the beginning of the new year, no firm date as far as I know mind you!

It's certainly got potential. A couple of things we can hope for; a choice of (at least) mil-dot and MP20 reticules, and that it is supplied (like the Falcon 10-40x56) with all 'the trimmings': sidewheel, sunshade, mounts, eyeshade, etc., which helped make the aforementioned scope excellent value. Regards ... Geek
    Last edited by Gungeek; 28-12-2009 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Words added.
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

A quick update on the T50.

Went down the range to do a full rangefinding and turret adjustment setup, whilst the scope performed admirably during this task it was noted that the ability to focus down to 6 yards at 50x mag was not really required, so in an experiment to see if refocusing the objective lens to a minimum of 10yds at 50x would see better seperation at 45 - 55 yards!

this was easily accomplished by undoing the locking ring on the end of the objective housing and simply screwing the lens carrier in untill the required focus was achieved!

of course this now meant i had to re-do the rangefinding setup so my spare sidewheel was fitted so i could compare the resulting marks, the end result was an improvement in the seperation on the wheel giving a more even distance between range marks at 2.5yd intervals making the side wheel easier to read as the gaps opened up slightly in the critical 45-55yd set, not by a massive amount but enough to make the excersise worthwhile and giving the scope and edge over the Diamond we used as comparison!

Today I took the rig to Castleton for the FT comp, I am pleased to say I didn't mis range a single target and was able to read distances down to almost a yard over the full course!
    Not a single target was missed by mis dialing or ranging the scope and all misses were correct for height but missed due to my own misjudgement of the tricky wind conditions!
    the low sun caused no whiteouts and target conrast was excellent even in shadow below bright sun!

I asked a few of the regulars to have a look at the scope and the only reservation expressed was one, who asked if the reticle could be finer, he considered the crosshair to be a little to thick for his liking!

Bear in mind I have only had the scope for a few weeks and its early days yet, however it has so far proven to be a very capable scope, I can only hope the production models are as good if not better!

regards
    Mike

these are on sale not far from me if they are like the rest they will take some beating

Quote Originally Posted by nice one View Post
    these are on sale not far from me if they are like the rest they will take some beating
    Whereabouts would that be?

...and do you know how much for?

Cheers. Paul