Thread: New pistol shooter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New pistol shooter

Hi all.

Just got my first proper pistol, an HW45 (.177), and can't wait to get it settled in.

Just one thing, during the first few shots it seemed to stop working by not cocking properly; the sear didn't seem to be engaging.

After a few more goes, it seemed fine again.

I was wondering if the sear mechanism is sensitive to position of the gun, as I think it started happening when I tried bracing the pistol against my knee to cock it more easily, so pointing downwards to the floor.

Has anyone else experienced something similar, or know why it may have happened?

I'm glad I chose to give pistols a go though, really fun and a bit easier to find the time and place to do it.

Thanks for any advice.

atb,

shammo.
    Weihrauch HW40 (.177), Weihrauch HW45 (.22), Weihrauch HW45 Silver Star (.177)

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Is it new, has it been unused for a while?
    If either of the above it might just need some fresh oil on the mechanism, or a bit of use,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Hi.

Cheers for the suggestion.

It's brand new, happened during the first 10 or so shots.

Got a fresh tin to put through it tomorrow afternoon, so will keep a close eye on it.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    It's highly probable just the grease applied on assembly, the sear mechanism is delicate & lightly sprung and could initially stick on a blob of grease, very likely it will bed in nicely.
    When I got mine they had only just been released in the UK (yeah, I'm that old ) and the shop was running pellets through all the new guns, probably not to bed them in but because they wanted to play
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Thanks Nick.

Nice to hear an experienced opinion.

Yeah, the manual states in bold text that it takes "100's of shots" for the gun to bed in, so hopefully it's just a case of early days.

Regards.

Shammo.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Don't you consider the HW 40 to be a proper pistol?

In any case, now you're all set up for the UBC's 6 yard, and 10 meter, competitions!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Don't you consider the HW 40 to be a proper pistol?

In any case, now you're all set up for the UBC's 6 yard, and 10 meter, competitions!

Jim
    hi. actually, I guess I do consider it a proper pistol. what I meant is the kick from the 45 makes it feel much more... challenging? anyway, I can't wait to get some practice in, and get involved in some competing. I haven't checked yet, but presumably the rules to the ubc 6 and 10 yard comps are posted here somewhere? may as well start as I mean to go on.