Thread: Webley Hawk MK3 - Advice

Webley Hawk MK3 - Advice

I have a Webley Hawk MK3 .22 that seems to be in reasonable condition, the stock is good and undamaged and has been rubbed down, the barrell has some rust on it.

It is missing the open sights, both front and back, it fires with a bit of a clunk and the safety catch does not work.

I need some advice:

Is it worth anything ?
    Should it be restored ?
    Can I buy the open sights ?
    How do you strip it down ?
    Can I buy seals and springs for it ?

Photos attached.

Thank you for your help.

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/a...ous2010466.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wildkarde View Post
    I have a Webley Hawk MK3 .22 that seems to be in reasonable condition, the stock is good and undamaged and has been rubbed down, the barrell has some rust on it.

It is missing the open sights, both front and back, it fires with a bit of a clunk and the safety catch does not work.

I need some advice:

Is it worth anything ?
    Should it be restored ?
    Can I buy the open sights ?
    How do you strip it down ?
    Can I buy seals and springs for it ?

Photos attached.

Thank you for your help.

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/a...ous2010466.jpg
    Hi
    Value 'as-is' would be about £50
    Springs are available (cost about £12)
    The piston seal(s) from what I remember when I stripped one many years ago was split piston ring design and i bought mine from the Chambers Gunsmith website (about £14 from what I remember)
    Sights may still be available new (again from Chambers) or you could pick them up from a local gunsmith or off that auction site***bay. You could also put a add in 'wanted' on here for the sights
    Stripping is simple after you have had a look at the drawing on Chambers site
    The mainspring is under a bit of tension but not too much, so a spring compressor is unnecessary
    When fully rebuilt it will be worth about £80 so do not spend a fortune on it
    Good luck
    John
    hold me back !!

It actually looks to be in quite good nick - look at those screw heads, hardly a mark on them.

Thanks for the information, I have now found the spare parts list at Chambers and am currently costing up the spares.

I would quite like to do a step by step strip with photos of this gun on the forum, is this something that is accepable.

Regards

strip down

I should think so and many members would find it interesting
    The information may well help another member overhauling the Hawk Mk3
    This is probably the best Section to post on with links to photobucket.com for the strip photographs
    ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

Webley Strip

John,

Watch this space!

One cold wet weekend and the strip down will happen with a blow by blow account.

What can I do about the rust on the barrell ?

Regards

barrel

I would just rub it down gently with very fine wire wool and 3 in 1 oil to remove surface rust but to leave existing bluing

Cold bluing of just the barrel or even professional hot bluing would not look right against the rest of the action. A full hot reblue of the rifle would be expensive and hardly add to the rifles value

After using the finest wire wool, always rub the barrel and action down after use with a rag soaked in 3 in 1 oil or use a silicone cloth. This will prevent further corrosion
    john
    hold me back !!