Thread: To HC or not to HC...

To HC or not to HC...

Hi all.

This has probably come up already, but I just wanted to check.

I'm after a second HW45, in .22, and found that you can get non-Hull Cartridge imported ones for a MUCH better price.

Now, considering that HC's official obligation to you is only for up to 1 year, does it really matter getting one at a clearly fairer price?

The reseller is legally obliged to offer a warranty for the same period regardless of where they sourced from anyway, so as long as they don't look like the sort of company that might disappear within a year of purchase, is there an issue?

Any non-HC stamped owners out there?

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, by the way, just wondering if there's any real difference between them.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

atb,

Shammo
    Last edited by shammo; 08-06-2010 at 02:09 PM.
    Weihrauch HW40 (.177), Weihrauch HW45 (.22), Weihrauch HW45 Silver Star (.177)

As you rightly mention, your contract is with the retailer, but it's not actually limited to one year; you are legally entitled to redress if the goods malfunction after more than one year. It's to do with what is a "reasonable" length of time to expect an item of that type to last, up to 6 years I believe.

To me HC are only the "official importer". It is perfectly legitimate to import one from HW yourself, or buy a "grey import" from any other supplier.

To be honest I don't know what my HW45 is stamped, but it was a second hand purchase off here anyway. My HW75 is HC stamped, but my 97K that I bought from a local shop 18 months ago is not. I was happy with that as the price was very good and the rifle has been superb.

So, if you want to buy new, there's no real downside apart from that HC will not do any work on it. Not a problem for out of warranty work as parts are easily available any competent gunsmith can work on them.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Neither of my Winerack products are HC stamped. Since the seller (if you buy new) has to provide a warranty of one year I don't see the difference. Both of them work and shoot very well so no complaints from me. It's my money and I makes me choice.
    I used to be suspicious about people who liked guns: now I’m worried about myself HW97K HW45 CP99

I would get from the lowest priced retailer. It's an air pistol, not an over complicated piece of equipment.

BTW, how much is the price difference?

Good luck, Phil

Bob. is offline I think I'll keep with "Registered User" then
    My 45 came via HC, but it doesn't have a HC stamp on it.

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post

I would get from the lowest priced retailer. It's an air pistol, not an over complicated piece of equipment.

BTW, how much is the price difference?

Good luck, Phil
    It was around the £30-40 mark, the price difference that is, depending who you compare.

I'm on the lookout for a second hand one now anyway, so might end up with either.

shammo
    Weihrauch HW40 (.177), Weihrauch HW45 (.22), Weihrauch HW45 Silver Star (.177)