Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: large barn door required as pistol target

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    then maybe I'll enter a UBC comp.

Matt
    If I'd waited for an improvement before entering UBC competitions I'd still be waiting to enter now I reckon. (there are some that would say THAT would be an improvement in itself).

Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    wheres Paddy? perhaps he could sell you his, its as good as new
    ...tumbleweed......
    because he cant even hit that.
    ohhhh i get it lol

Explaining your own jokes now then Sol. It's a sign of insecurity you know. Just let 'em flow, no matter how bad they are. It's what I do and you'd never know would you?
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

I thought Pad E. used HANGAR doors?
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

BigEars Guest
    I wish I could say it was the pistol, but rested I can hit 1" spinners at 20 yards no problem. It's fiendishly accurate.

Practice practice practice, then maybe I'll enter a UBC comp.

Matt
    Shooting pistol well is much harder IMO than rifle, esp single handed. Make sure the trigger pull is adjusted to a weight you like. Then use the trigger guard as a guide to where you place your finger. Try to keep your grip and finger placement constant.

Practice squeezing and don't take too long to aim.

BTW have fun!

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by essjay View Post
    I found the thing that made the biggest improvement to my shooting was to follow through after each shot.
    Deliberately try to hold the sight picture on the target for at least a second after firing - it's all too easy to move the pistol too soon.
    Hope this helps.

Bit smelly though, anything easier on the nose and underwear?

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    If I'd waited for an improvement before entering UBC competitions I'd still be waiting to enter now I reckon. (there are some that would say THAT would be an improvement in itself).
    eyup Jef....can't get 5 9's with my FWB80....i'll put that score with yours down to luck

nikkormat,so far I have tried geco's,bisley practice and hobbies in my FWB80 and I'm less than happy so i'm going to try RWS R10's...oddly enough its very good with JSB Exacts.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    nikkormat,so far I have tried geco's,bisley practice and hobbies in my FWB80 and I'm less than happy so i'm going to try RWS R10's...oddly enough its very good with JSB Exacts.
    That's interesting. I'm using Gecos in the TAU, but I've not done any accuracy testing on the FWB65 yet. I've got Gecos, R10s and some Finale Match to try. I've read JSBs run well in TAUs so I might get some of those too.

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

Matt

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    I've just had a short shooting session, one handed, 50 shots at six metres using my TAU 7 on a 10M rifle target...

I'd get the proper sized targets for pistol to start with. You could be getting a misleading impression if the rifle targets are the wrong size for pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Retracted_Yeti View Post
    Bit smelly though, anything easier on the nose and underwear?

Cheers.

Roy.
    That's set me up for the day!

Can we have a side shoot picture of a barn door next month please Gents?

"Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Quote Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
    I'd get the proper sized targets for pistol to start with. You could be getting a misleading impression if the rifle targets are the wrong size for pistols.
    Correct 6 metre scaled targets would be good, yes. The logic I am following with the rifle targets is that the black measures about 33mm, whereas a 10M pistol target black is about 61mm, so at 5-6M the rifle target black should appear about the same size as the pistol black at 10M. I can see though that a single central spot would be much better.

Worry less about the size of the targets; they only give you a score under or over what it should be. You need to concentrate on grouping.

Use a single black (or as I suggested before, a blank sheet).

Your concentration is on the front sight, your endeavour to keep the front and rear sights in alignment.

You are NOT "aiming" at the black.

If the desired point of impact is in the centre of the card, your sights are adjusted to your preferred area, then your eye and brain will subconciously align the gun with this area, everything around it being generally symmetrical.

Forget the black, it only gets in the way.

Your job is the sights.

Using a multi diagram card for pistol is upsetting the symmetry and will screw up your subconcious.

My own "aiming area" is centred along the bottom edge of the card, far enough away from the bull so my eye is not constantly being pulled there. It works for me, but you settle on what works for you.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Out with the rifle targets then!

Thanks Derek. I'll give that a go today.

Matt

I find drawing a circle round a 2p coin and trying for get all your shots in the circle helps or just a 6mm black dot.

Helps to concentrate my focus on the foresight.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Concentrate on sight picture. I just repeat to myself "Sight Picture, sight picture, sight picture" as I am on aim. Don't hold it to long. No more than a few seconds.
    Powderfinger you forgot practice, practice, practice
    dry firing helps, a small circle about the size of a 1p coin on a bit of card pined to a wall, stand or sit with the barrel about 18 inch away from the spot and practice you shooting technique in dry fire mode.
    Last edited by airgunnut; 11-06-2010 at 08:54 AM.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Single handed pistol shooting is tricky to master, try the below a few times a day.

Read a book while holding a small bag of suger to the sideout stretched at 90 degress to your body, only put the bag down while you change page, this will strengthen the areas required to shoot target pistol.

Hold the pistol as if you were going to fire it, turn your wrist as far as you can clockwise (right handed shooter) take note how your elbow pit turns clockwise as well, now just turn your wrist back (not elbow) anti-clockwise until the pistol is upright again, keeping your elbow turned clockwise (hard to explain). You should notice how steady your aim is now, this is because your elbow has been locked out.

Good luck and keep practising.
    Last edited by DazzH; 11-06-2010 at 11:29 AM.

My shooting was rubbish and i was really down about it so i joined
    a local shooting club. Then i found there were people even worse than me and now i feel fine!