Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wanted: large barn door required as pistol target

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    That's interesting. I'm using Gecos in the TAU, but I've not done any accuracy testing on the FWB65 yet. I've got Gecos, R10s and some Finale Match to try. I've read JSBs run well in TAUs so I might get some of those too.

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

Matt
    For 10m pistol, offhand, Gecos will be fine until your average is over 90 or so

An arthritic shooting buddy uses them in his Steyr and regularly puts a few in the 10. He does a lot of flyers too, but that's not the fault of the gun or the pellets

If you ever decide to try Hobbys, you will need to size them to get consistency, as the skirts are very large.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzH View Post
    Single handed pistol shooting is tricky to master, try the below a few times a day.

Read a book while holding a small bag of suger to the sideout stretched at 90 degress to your body, only put the bag down while you change page, this will strengthen the areas required to shoot target pistol.

Hold the pistol as if you were going to fire it, turn your wrist as far as you can clockwise (right handed shooter) take note how your elbow pit turns clockwise as well, now just turn your wrist back (not elbow) anti-clockwise until the pistol is upright again, keeping your elbow turned clockwise (hard to explain). You should notice how steady your aim is now, this is because your elbow has been locked out.

Good luck and keep practising.
    Was it just me or did that confuse anyone else?

that flippin hurts me shoulder

QUOTE=DazzH;4359068]Single handed pistol shooting is tricky to master, try the below a few times a day.

Read a book while holding a small bag of suger to the sideout stretched at 90 degress to your body, only put the bag down while you change page, this will strengthen the areas required to shoot target pistol.

Hold the pistol as if you were going to fire it, turn your wrist as far as you can clockwise (right handed shooter) take note how your elbow pit turns clockwise as well, now just turn your wrist back (not elbow) anti-clockwise until the pistol is upright again, keeping your elbow turned clockwise (hard to explain). You should notice how steady your aim is now, this is because your elbow has been locked out.

Good luck and keep practising.[/QUOTE]
    BSA Superten BBK (Blueprinted), BSA Ultra SS Regged, Tanfoglio Witness, Umarex 1911
    and many, many bows and slingshots

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    Was it just me or did that confuse anyone else?
    I understand. Doing it is another matter Thanks DazzH, I'll work at it.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll put in some quality practice for a couple of weeks and then (fingers crossed!) post a better card up.

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    For 10m pistol, offhand, Gecos will be fine until your average is over 90 or so

An arthritic shooting buddy uses them in his Steyr and regularly puts a few in the 10. He does a lot of flyers too, but that's not the fault of the gun or the pellets

If you ever decide to try Hobbys, you will need to size them to get consistency, as the skirts are very large.
    That same buddy shot a 95 last night with Gecos, so why pay more?
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

I've just got my FWB65 back after a service and reseal. I bought this pistol a few months ago, but only put a few shots through it before sending it off, so today's groups are the first significant bit of shooting I've done with it.

FWB65 target here, TAU 7 target from post #1 here. One handed, six metres.

Not great at all, but better than those with the TAU 7. This is no reflection on the TAU; I know it is more accurate than I will ever be, but I found the FWB much easier to hold on target and I seemed less prone to snatch at the trigger or flinch when releasing the shot. Best group with the TAU was 50mm, average 57mm. Best group with the FWB was 36mm, average 40mm. I lost concentration shooting the last group.

This has boosted my confidence a lot. The FWB is grouping slightly to the left. Adjusting the sights is the obvious solution, but I worry that this grouping might be down to poor technique. I find the trigger a little near to the grip, so maybe my finger isn't placed properly.

My aim is to be able to hold the black when I come to shoot at 10 metres. Based on the advice you gentlemen have given me, I will:

Stick with one pistol (the FWB65)
    Practice at least weekly
    Practice sight watching
    Check my trigger finger positioning
    Practice on scaled down (6 metre) pistol targets rather than cards of five

Matt

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post

My aim is to be able to hold the black when I come to shoot at 10 metres. Based on the advice you gentlemen have given me, I will:

Stick with one pistol (the FWB65)
    Practice at least weekly
    Practice sight watching
    Check my trigger finger positioning
    Practice on scaled down (6 metre) pistol targets rather than cards of five

Matt
    Beginning next Season, I want to stick with just two pistols: one for Police, and one for 6 yard / 10 meter.

The fewer I have to learn on, the easier learning will be.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone