Thread: 1942 photo........Mystery air rifle??

edbear2 Guest

1942 photo........Mystery air rifle??

I posted a link in the non airgun section recently to a gallery called "women at war", and a sharp - eyed BBS member spotted this photo amongst the collection of photos.......any ideas?.....it looks like an under lever air rifle, but not a BSA?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hab3045...7600038925544/

The title.

"1942 women employees midland bank london meet once a week to learn rifle shooting"

The 'underlever' looks very thin Ed.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

It looks like a Winchester pump action .22 rifle which has a tube magazine under the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    It looks like a Winchester pump action .22 rifle which has a tube magazine under the barrel.
    that was my thinking too

Hi,
    I would agree with Fronteria the near rifle is a Winchester 22 possibly an auto not a pump the other rifle is a SMLE.. Probably 303 if the date is 1942 Americia the NSRA supplied thousands of rifles for the defence of Britain..The British Public was Disarmed ...in the 1930's strike any cords.... I think 1984...and A Brave New World is visiting us now....

edbear2 Guest
    Hmmm.......I Know it's not a winnie 90!

http://henryrifle.biz/images/uploads..._.22_WRF-2.jpg

But I agree it does look like a rimfire tube magazine on closer inspection....maybe a savage/stevens/marlin??

Thanks for the input in any case!

Ed..

I have enlarged the pic and i would say its a bsa .22 bolt action rifle tube feed going by the front sight and the enlarged part on the end of the tube, its not an air rifle.
    JJJJJJ