Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Yank needs help

kerank Guest

Newbie Yank needs help

First Post, so go easy on me. Hopefully, I am allowed to ask a few dumb questions before I am "educated".

I've decided to get myself a good quality air rifle. "Quality" being relative to the choices here in the States. My original intention was to get myself a new rimfire rifle in .17 HMR, but have since "caught the bug" for an air rifle instead. When I was 10 my father bought me a Daisy 880 pumper for Christmas. I remember it clearly and fondly. We had a large back yard, and I would shoot that gun for hours. After many BBs and pellets, I went off to college, got a job, life happened, and forgot about the Daisy. I've had (still have) other firearms, but never another air rifle. Maybe I'm having a mid-life crisis...who knows...who cares

I've done a bit of homework, and have tenatively decided on a Beeman R9 Goldfinger unless several of you tell me this is a bad choice. This gun would be used mostly for plinking and target shooting and maybe a few pests. I would like it to be relatively light easy to handle. And while the R7 might fit my needs fine...I'm a guy, and if I spend this kind of money on a rifle I would like accuracy, quality, AND power.

My questions are this:
    1. Is the R9's price range ($270-$300 US rifle - $380-$400 US rifle/scope combo) the "sweet spot"? The best springer I can find in a store in my area is the Gamo 440 Hunter rifle/scope combo for about $240 US, is the R9 worth the extra $140? Or, on the other hand, would spending more money on a rifle (R1, HW77/97, TX200) be worth the extra $200 or so?

2. Since I will probably have to buy online, what web site do you suggest? If anyone knows of a place I can buy a good air rifle near the Middle Tennessee area, please let me know!

3. It seems the vast majority of people on this board are in Europe, and the sport of Airgunning is much, much more popular in Europe than the States. Why is that?

Thanks to all.

DJP Guest
    Hello mate, welcome to the board.

I beleive I'm right in saying that the R9 is actually the same as the Weihrauch HW95K? If so, it is an excellent rifle and definitely worth the extra cash over the Gamo.

The Gamos are really entry level rifles. The HW95K, on the other hand, is one of the best break barrels around (And there's one in my cabinet not 3 feet from where I'm sitting!).

I also have a TX200, which really is another step above the HW95K. IMHO the TX is also better than the HW97/77 - at least in standard form. I'd go as far as to say that the TX is the best out-of-the-box springer you can get. The only downside is weight (they're heavy) which is why I sometimes prefer using the 95K.

I don't know if there's much opportunity for this in the US, but you really would benefit from trying these rifles before buying - just be warned that if you try a TX you will probably end up buying it!

Hope this helps!

I'm with DJP the R9 is I think a HW97 and yes it is worth the extra !

A good gun with a very good trigger (HW Record Unit fitted to most of their guns) Gammo triggers on the other hand, if one is feeling polite could be called interesting .

Ora

SWAT Strachan is offline I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me...
    I'd go as far as to say that the TX is the best out-of-the-box springer you can get. The only downside is weight (they're heavy)
    And that, my friends, is why Air Arms developed the Pro Sport . In my opinion possibly the better of the two. As it has an aluminium (sorry, aluminum ) underlever that is set farther back in the stock, the rifle maintains a more traditional 'sporter' look and is better balanced. Out of the box performace is also superb. Couple that with a managable recoil (never had to re-zero my scope once it was attached) and you have a superb target/hunting/plinking rifle.

Not sure if you can get them in the states though...

More info here.
    Last edited by SWAT Strachan; 18-11-2004 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Forgot the damn URL...
    ├●┤ «●» ├●┤

DJP Guest
    Good point, well made. Still prefer the TX over the Pro Sport though - so Nerrr!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kerank
    3. It seems the vast majority of people on this board are in Europe, and the sport of Airgunning is much, much more popular in Europe than the States. Why is that?
    Thanks to all.
    Welcome to the site mate. I can't answer question 1 or 2 but number 3 i think i know the answer to. It is realy hard to get a firearms permit in the UK, and the same in most of europe. In the states just about anyone can have a firearm. Lots of nice big open land to shoot on and a Goverment that is for gun ownership instead of against it.
    Hope that answers number 3, good luck with 1 and 2.
    Enjoy the shooting,
    Andy
    LIFE IS NOT COMPLICATED........
    SOCIETY JUST MAKES IT THAT WAY!!!!

DJP Guest
    To be honest, I disagree. It isn't really that hard to get a FAC. The popularity of airguns, at least in the UK, I think is really down to the limited amount of room we have. OK, so in Europe gun control is generally tighter than in the US, but before 1968 UK gun regs were much less restrictive but airguns were still more popular than powder burners. Even if I had a firearms certificate I'd still be limited as to where I could actually use a fiearm, but I can shoot an airgun in my back garden. That's why I think they're popular here.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP
    To be honest, I disagree. It isn't really that hard to get a FAC. The popularity of airguns, at least in the UK, I think is really down to the limited amount of room we have. OK, so in Europe gun control is generally tighter than in the US, but before 1968 UK gun regs were much less restrictive but airguns were still more popular than powder burners. Even if I had a firearms certificate I'd still be limited as to where I could actually use a fiearm, but I can shoot an airgun in my back garden. That's why I think they're popular here.
    Fair point, i wasn't born till '75 so don't know about it before then. Her, to have a FAC you need land to shoot. In the states you can go buy a .50 Barret without having to prove you have somwhere to use it. Maybe we are both a bit right.
    LIFE IS NOT COMPLICATED........
    SOCIETY JUST MAKES IT THAT WAY!!!!

billclarke Guest

In the US and Canada check this site

http://www.airguninfo.com
    You'll find just about everything you need there. There are also some UK and European clubs and stores listed.

maxis500 Guest
    Ask the same U.S specific retail questions on the "yellow forum" and you'll get more applicable answers:

http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/79537

Doesn't mean you can't keep coming back here though! I spend time over there when I want a U.S slant on things. Thank God the election is over now though, things were getting a little, shall we say, heated!

MacOne Guest

Spingers

I have a PCP but my step brother has a TX200 and swears by it. Seems very accurate (dependent on shooter). I'm not a fan of the weight but should imagine you'd be more used to that if you handle firearms regularly.

kerank Guest

Thanks

Thanks for all of the great input!

After looking it up, the Weihrauch HW95 is the same gun as the Beeman R9.

I will post the same question on the American board or "yellow board". Wow, this board is much easier on the eyes!

kerank: while there are a few US posters here, the forum is based in the UK and they may not know what an R-9 Goldfinger is. For those curious about what would cause an airgun to have the name of a Bond nemesis, the differences are: no open sights. The gun comes with a factory brake and a smooth finish on top of the breech.. no holes. It also comes with a gold anodised trigger and tension screw, plus a longer stock (at the front) with 4 panel checkering. Beeman also includes a Bushnell Banner scope and mounts in the Goldfinger package. RB

Darren Petts Guest
    The HW95/R9 is a perfectly serviceable airgun but I'd suggest the extra spent on a TX200 is money well spent. I've owned several TX's and will happily own another. I had just the one HW95 and wouldn't get another. I didn't like the firing cycle compared to the TX. Both guns are well made and will last a lifetime with little maintainance.

First off, welcome m8.
    As the others have said i have no idea about the R9 but would agree with those who vote for the AA TX200. I have 2 a mk1 in .22 and a mk3 in .177 and these are great.
    HTH
    Tony