Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a air-rifle

kapow Guest

Buying a air-rifle

Hello this is my first post, so firstly hello <waves>

My Son is really wants an air-rifle for Christmas and I've decided I will get one for him. I was just asking what kind of gun do you think would be good to get, I'm not sure how serious he will take shooting (like contests ect) so I don't want anything too exotic, but at the sametime I don't want anything that won't last long (poor quality).

He is also thinking of joining the army after his a-levels so bear that in mind, I don't want to ask him because then he will know what I will be getting him

Thank you for any help

Gary C Guest
    Can you give us a price range ?
    Welcome to the board

draftsmann Guest
    Just an observation, but if you're an existing shooter as your profile suggests, why are you asking us for advice?

Welcome to the AirgunBBS by the way

Adrian

Landswehr Guest
    You may well find some very good kit in the 'For Sale' section on here and there are some serious bargains to be had.

If you're unsure about the seller you can always ask on the forum - most blokes on here are very trustworthy.

Welcome to the board - I hope you find what you're looking for.

regards
    BC
    PS: What's a 'Blood Boss'?

michaeladkins Guest
    velcome.

Possible air guns (assuming we are talking Spring power).

Webley break barrels (some come with open sights - NO scope required)

Hw99s With open sights.

If you are looking at buying a scope as well as the rifle then -

HW95 - Webley Break barrels as above - BSA lightening.

NEXT PRICE RANGE UP -
    Air Arms Tx200 or TX200HC
    Hw77k open sights
    HW97k
    These are all bigger and heavier rifles so you will have to think about any physical limitations of your son??

Regards

Michael

MacOne Guest

Smile

My Son is really wants an air-rifle for Christmas and I've decided I will get one for him. , I don't want to ask him because then he will know what I will be getting him

My advice to you is this....Make him a cool "airgun gift voucher" on your computer and give him that for Christmas. You see, as I'm sure you're aware, guns are an individual thing. What looks good, sells at the right price and what is thrown in doesn't make it great to shoot for the shooter themselves.

Also, and I don't want to patronise your son but teenagers are fickle it what they want one mo then the next. Would he love a military style rifle like the stealth or a convenstional wooden style pre charge or spring? Light or heavy? Long or carbine?

You have to get the guy involved and then both be pleased he has what he wants. Do the gift voucher (that sets the price limit) and look round togther. Landsweir is right you get good deals on here....so go to a shop, see what he likes, what fits etc...then come back and look on here and the net see what you can get. Then to be fair go back to the shop and see what deal they will offer you also.

Otherwise you'll spend a lot on what you think is a good deal and it don't fit for him, doesn't look right, too heavy and you'll sell it again and lose money...not a great christmas pressey after all.

Welcome
    Has your son been to a club and shot some different rifles....indeed has he shot a rifle at all ?? Before spending your hard earned, take him to a club if you havent all ready, this will also give your son some safety guidance learn some skill in advance of getting his own.

HTH

imoyes Guest

Smile

I'd go with MacOne's suggestion with one addition. I'd buy him a membership of the best, local, air rifle club you can find, having visited a number of them. Then he can go along for a couple of weeks, see what people are shooting, have a coffee and a chat with some of the members, perhaps try some club rifles and figure out what type of shooting he wants to do and what he'd like to shoot.
    Incidentally, I'd splash out and buy one for yourself and go with him.

MacOne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by imoyes
    I'd go with MacOne's suggestion with one addition. I'd buy him a membership of the best, local, air rifle club you can find,
    Incidentally, I'd splash out and buy one for yourself and go with him.

o yeah and forgot about the club bit.....

kapow Guest
    Thanks for the advice I'm thinking of spending about 200-300 quid on him. If he has done well in the next lot of exams.

draftsmann, I'm not really an shooter I was just wasting time and messing about with my profile before I could post.

My son uses the computer as well so I've been playing on a few of his games, i'm really getting into Medal of honour the last few weeks, thats kind of where the blood bath comes from!

Thanks for the help so far guys.

kapow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_scouser
    Welcome
    Has your son been to a club and shot some different rifles....indeed has he shot a rifle at all ?? Before spending your hard earned, take him to a club if you havent all ready, this will also give your son some safety guidance learn some skill in advance of getting his own.

HTH

My son has just started getting intrested in it now, you know how teenagers can be one day it's one thing the next another, but he's been persistant about this .

I think it's computer games that have intrested him, Ican't blame him, when I was a lad we had nothing like that

Hi

Would agree about try before you buy, there are a few shops that offer this but can't think of one in London.

Not sure where in London your from but may be worth a visit to Lea Valley (www.lvagc.com) large friendly safe airgun club near Hertford. First Visit Free! All visitors get a 'tour' and a safety briefing.

On any given Saturday there are c. 50 members at the club so probably upto 100 guns around. Most members more than happy to discuss their guns. good / bad points etc and let someone have a few shots to get an idea .

We also have club guns available for daily hire of £5 which includes air & pellets (refills & air £1)

If you think you're going to come along give me a call to check it's not a competition day 07910 353111

Hope to see you soon

Roger Barrow
    Treasurer
    LVAGC

John Henry 1 Guest
    As has been said, take him to a good club a few times, he may go off the idea so saving your cash. As you said things in favour today may be old hat tomorrow.
    Cheers

AndyMc59 Guest
    Weirauch HW 99S would take some beating in my opinion .

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kapow
    Thanks for the advice I'm thinking of spending about 200-300 quid on him. If he has done well in the next lot of exams.

draftsmann, I'm not really an shooter I was just wasting time and messing about with my profile before I could post.

My son uses the computer as well so I've been playing on a few of his games, i'm really getting into Medal of honour the last few weeks, thats kind of where the blood bath comes from!

Thanks for the help so far guys.
    S200, Varmint scope and a pump