Thread: RB Airsporter .177

RB Airsporter .177

I have just bought a wiered airsporter, never seen one like it
    but I think it must be an RB as it has a rotary loading block
    rather than the tap arrangement, I know that after the MK2
    the l tap was a weak point on the rifle.

My question is are these better than the later tap loaders
    does the rb bit work and last.
    Has anyone got experience of owning using one of these.

Cheers

Steve

The breech is the same as on the Superstar. IMO,they are the best of the Airsporters
    These rotary breeches work fine and will last.

Rolling Breach

Well its the later breach design that BSA took to with vigour ...from the Airsporter to the Stutzen and even the Superstar . Have heard it said its better and provides a higher fps than the earlier tap . That being said a tuned airgun is going to be better than standard and my Stutzen tap loader is better now . The Rb breach is less prone to leaks but is a pain to reseal if and when they do go ...most have the scope rail which needs removing to get at the rotary plug to replace the seals . Not easy to remove despite what the owners manual says ! Tap loaders were just a bit easier to play with .
    Only thing I don't like with RB breaches are they should in theory be easier to get any pellet into - as BSA barrels are a tight fit you either need to size pellets first ( if they stick) or use a plastic non scratching probe to bed the pellet home before rolling the breach over .

ADDENDUM :

Been on for a while and saw this re the Maxigrip scope rail :
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...59#post4359359

Also re Safety buttons these were available as a standard fit ex factory on Stutzens when the RB2 breach was used for these ( the tap laod Stutzen did not have a safety ) . Best Safety button I've ever used and right where you expect it to be ! Not sure if this was on all RB2 type Airpsorters variants but certainly on all RB2 Stutzen Airpsorters .
    Last edited by Arch.Stanton?; 11-06-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

Quote Originally Posted by Steviegeeza View Post
    I have just bought a wiered airsporter, never seen one like it
    but I think it must be an RB as it has a rotary loading block
    rather than the tap arrangement, I know that after the MK2
    the l tap was a weak point on the rifle.

My question is are these better than the later tap loaders
    does the rb bit work and last.
    Has anyone got experience of owning using one of these.

Cheers

Steve
    I have one of these and its every bit as good as the tap loaders - possibly better because it eliminates leaks and you insert the pellet directly into the barrel..

The only word of warning is that you must cock the gun before attempting to open the breech or you will ruin the seals.

Its also a much safer system than the sliding breeches e.g HW and AA because there is no risk of amputation!!!

P.S. Another plus point is that the stock is joined ahead of the underlever and is therefore stronger than the old Airsporters (or AA Prosport for that matter).
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

The RB2 was around in the 1990s, I'm sure someone will post the production dates. Quite a rarity in .177 I think.

I had one in .22 and it was very nice. Not TX200 nice, but very nice nonetheless. If I were you I'd hang on to it. The rotary breech is excellent; I'm not aware of any weaknesses, other than that you have to make sure you don't try to open it when the rifle is uncocked - to do so can push the breech seal out. Some people complain that it's too easy to drop a pellet in backwards, but I wouldn't worry too much about that; I found it happened occasionally but it's not a major concern at all.

There was a full length version, a carbine with muzzle weight/silencer adapter and a Stutzen model. Some had a tang mounted safety catch, but most did not. I think this was an extra option.

Seals

I once went to look , at with a view to buying , a .25 Stutzen , but decided not to purchase it as the RB breach had been force open when the gun was not cocked - all that spring pressure bedding down on the breach and someone forced the breach open .....one thing I know is that I can't get a maxigrip /damapmount rail off any airgun and a reseal would have pushed the price up on what was already an expensive airgun
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

I'll bring me 5 lbs hammer over Jon
    That'll shift it

RB2 Airsporter

Thanks chaps

I had a look at the exploded diagram on Chambers site, and its a nice design,
    it's simple, should give a good seal and must have reduced manufacturing cost.

The chap I bought it off said his dad bought it for him when he was a kid 13
    years ago putting it in the mid to late 90's. He said it has not had a tin of pellets
    through it, it feels that way, not quite run in.
    Worth the £100 I paid for it!

Damn, I will have to buy a MKII as well now to satisfy my nostalgia ( my dad bough me one
    when I was a kid ) anyone got a nice one they don't need?

Cheers
    Steve