Thread: help front sight ROA

help front sight ROA

My ROA shoots high despite the rear sight being screwed right down. Is it possible to adjust the front sight so that I can raise it?
    Any advice would be most welcome please.
    Regards Robert B

You can get a replacement front sight element from Midway UK . Then file one of them down to suit your load .

Technically, if you file it down, it will shoot higher!

Mine did the same. I drifted out the little pin that holds the blade in the block
    and then drew around it on a (brass in my case) metal sheet the same thickness. I then added a couple of mm to the profile and cut it out. Ideally you would use a small drill like a Dremel to drill the pin hole.

If you know how much you want to raise the point of impact, you can work out how much you need to 'add' to the foresight.

Steve.

Midway sell adjustable front sight blades.

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproduc...eItemID=178256

Hi Rob

Can I ask what you use as your aim point on say a PL7 target @ 25m ?

....... and what powder & load are you using ??

Cheers

Roy

loads

I use 35 grains of Swiss No 3 with ball. I use old leather welding apron that has been cored with a rotary punch as wadding. The top layer of which has been soaked in black powder solvent & water. It shoots 6" high at 25M.
    I have seen the adjustable fore sights on Midway but cannot see how they work. Does adjustable just mean that they are for the model with target sights? I may take the afore mentioned suggestion of making up my own foresight.

Quote Originally Posted by robkayak View Post
    I use 35 grains of Swiss No 3 with ball. I use old leather welding apron that has been cored with a rotary punch as wadding. The top layer of which has been soaked in black powder solvent & water. It shoots 6" high at 25M.
    I have seen the adjustable fore sights on Midway but cannot see how they work. Does adjustable just mean that they are for the model with target sights? I may take the afore mentioned suggestion of making up my own foresight.
    Bugger me - 35gn !!

I use 18gn of No2 (or TS2) & it shoots point of aim at 25m

Apart from spending a lot more money on powder & enjoying the BOOM!! - why are you using so much ?

I think you just found out why the gun is shooting high & that you dont need to waste your money on fettling a foresight !!

Roy

PS - I've got a friend that stokes a Dragoon up to the hilt 50gn from memory - but he does that 'cos he can' but never worries what happens at the target end of the Range
    Last edited by harricook; 12-06-2010 at 09:46 PM.

35 gr

I find that it shoots better with the heavier load. The point of impact is even higher with lighter loads. I have a feeling that the wax i was using was robbing the powder of power as some of the heat was being used to vaporise the wax. This led to some poppers. A dry paper disc stopped this. I should come down with powder load. A 20 g load costs 8p & a 13gr load costs 13p at Swiss 3 at £60 a kilo.

Swiss No.3 is a commonly a fast rifle powder. What about changing to No2? In theory you don't need quite as much.

Dont know if it helps but i have a 51/2" stainless model with fixed sights and had to remove a couple of mm from the front sight to get it point of aim at 25 yds. Normal load is 18 gns of swiss pistol with 2 scoops of semolina and a .457 ball with wonderlube over the top.
    35 grns is a lot of powder! Let us know how you get on.
    Tim.