Thread: help front sight ROA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Rob

Can I ask what you use as your aim point on say a PL7 target @ 25m ?

....... and what powder & load are you using ??

Cheers

Roy

loads

I use 35 grains of Swiss No 3 with ball. I use old leather welding apron that has been cored with a rotary punch as wadding. The top layer of which has been soaked in black powder solvent & water. It shoots 6" high at 25M.
    I have seen the adjustable fore sights on Midway but cannot see how they work. Does adjustable just mean that they are for the model with target sights? I may take the afore mentioned suggestion of making up my own foresight.

Quote Originally Posted by robkayak View Post
    I use 35 grains of Swiss No 3 with ball. I use old leather welding apron that has been cored with a rotary punch as wadding. The top layer of which has been soaked in black powder solvent & water. It shoots 6" high at 25M.
    I have seen the adjustable fore sights on Midway but cannot see how they work. Does adjustable just mean that they are for the model with target sights? I may take the afore mentioned suggestion of making up my own foresight.
    Bugger me - 35gn !!

I use 18gn of No2 (or TS2) & it shoots point of aim at 25m

Apart from spending a lot more money on powder & enjoying the BOOM!! - why are you using so much ?

I think you just found out why the gun is shooting high & that you dont need to waste your money on fettling a foresight !!

Roy

PS - I've got a friend that stokes a Dragoon up to the hilt 50gn from memory - but he does that 'cos he can' but never worries what happens at the target end of the Range
    Last edited by harricook; 12-06-2010 at 09:46 PM.

35 gr

I find that it shoots better with the heavier load. The point of impact is even higher with lighter loads. I have a feeling that the wax i was using was robbing the powder of power as some of the heat was being used to vaporise the wax. This led to some poppers. A dry paper disc stopped this. I should come down with powder load. A 20 g load costs 8p & a 13gr load costs 13p at Swiss 3 at £60 a kilo.

Swiss No.3 is a commonly a fast rifle powder. What about changing to No2? In theory you don't need quite as much.

Dont know if it helps but i have a 51/2" stainless model with fixed sights and had to remove a couple of mm from the front sight to get it point of aim at 25 yds. Normal load is 18 gns of swiss pistol with 2 scoops of semolina and a .457 ball with wonderlube over the top.
    35 grns is a lot of powder! Let us know how you get on.
    Tim.