Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
People often get a bit confused with the 'CS' or Club Standard guns. There were two CS models, and a later Club model with a 'C' prefix.

The first Club Standard was the 1920's No.1 Club. This was a FULL SIZE gun of 45.5" in length.It is a relatively uncommon gun, as it is not that commonly encountered for sale. The faulty gun you bought from the dealer was a No.1 Club.

The second Club Standard was the 1930's No.4 Club. The was a 43.5 gun, with the later style stock shape and the letters BSA raised in the chequered panels. This in my experience is a lot more commonly encountered for sale, and is not quite as good a gun as the No.1.

Lastly, the 1936-39 'C' prefix Club Standard, is another rarely encountered gun and is the rarest of all the pre-WW2 club designated standards.

The relative scarcity of these guns has a bearing on prices you would typically have to pay. I do think you payed a " fairly robust retail price" for the gun you bought and I too would have expected it to be in full working order for the money that you paid.

Finally the Improved Model D, in the long sporting pattern that is referred to in one of these threads is a VERY VERY rare gun, and is not the same as your run of the mill, Improved model D. True it is priced at £4000, which I would also class as a "very very robust retail price" , you have to ask the question - where is there another one for sale???

The No.1 Club, is a one off...... A flat shooting .177 gun with the full power 45.5" length.IMHO it is the ultimate BSA Standard model of the between wars period.

Lakey
Give me a break Lakey, where am I going to get one at a reasonable price now that you've said that?