Thread: BSA Standard - Info Please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BSA Standard - Info Please

Hi Guys,

Just bought a Club Standard - serial number CS19589 in good condition.

When I got it home i went straight out for a plink, at which point I discovered that the trigger spring is either broken or missing. It still cocks and fires but the trigger engagement when cocking is hit and miss.

The retailer gives a 30 day guarantee and has a good reputation so I don't think it would be a problem to take it back. However, it also needs a new mainspring - unless 5 ft/lb is the norm?

Because of the latter, I'm tempted to strip it myself. Is this difficult? Any tips, stripdown guide, diagram or photos?

Or should I take it back?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Hi, Take it back.
    Regards Marsh.
    PS How much was it, if it was £60 you do it!
    Last edited by Marsh.; 12-06-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: PS
    Good deals with Eddiekneejerk, scirroco,Garvin, brownie,NeilLedger,NortonAMC,MadMike,Lodmoor,Jonny Mark,ogilkes,brdrew,averageplinker,canman,Pagoda1, boxman,beagle,clueless,RobMac,RobM,DaveJW,leroy02, JerryCornelius,jarrod,Alistair,jonno1972,Emsill and Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
    Hi, Take it back.
    Regards Marsh.
    PS How much was it, if it was £60 you do it!
    If it was £60 I'd have had it in bits already! It was £250 (I actually asked for a bit off and was told £240, but when I looked at my receipt after I left I saw they had still charged me £250 anyway!) Before you say it, I know - I'm a mug! However it was not deliberate on their part - one guy dealt with me and another then took over the commercial bit. Seemed a bit petty to go back for a tenner - even though I am not made of money by any means.

I guess I'd have expected to pay around £180 ~ £200 in this condition (stock unsplit and top quality (MAG) re-blue), privately - but I have been on the lookout for a while now and none have come up.

As I said, I will want to look at changing the mainspring at some point anyway so if it is relatively easy to strip, I might just as well do it myself.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Hi, If your CS is in good condition overall the Serial no dates this rifle to late 1924 or early in 1925,from the start of production,it's just bad luck that it requires a new spring,possibly the spring is ok ,and the piston has dried out,they are made of leather.I would keep the rifle and repair it my self, they are easy to work on...New Bit's are available from Chambers or Knibbs...pm me if you run into problems

Regards

Inproved

Quote Originally Posted by inproved View Post
    Hi, If your CS is in good condition overall the Serial no dates this rifle to late 1924 or early in 1925,from the start of production,it's just bad luck that it requires a new spring,possibly the spring is ok ,and the piston has dried out,they are made of leather.I would keep the rifle and repair it my self, they are easy to work on...New Bit's are available from Chambers or Knibbs...pm me if you run into problems

Regards

Inproved
    I certainly will - thankyou.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Hi, Paul...

Forgot to tell you if you go onto chambers website you can download a spares diagram ...CS's are the same as Standard Patterns except for some of the bit's and calibre Standards being .22

Quote Originally Posted by inproved View Post
    Hi, Paul...

Forgot to tell you if you go onto chambers website you can download a spares diagram ...CS's are the same as Standard Patterns except for some of the bit's and calibre Standards being .22
    Tried that, but didn't find a diagram associated with the standards - any chance of a link please?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.