Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BSA Standard - Info Please

Club specials

A 'CS' , any CS is worth having and scarce , after enquiring about these recently . With a full reblue , originality is not the issue with this particular airgun and would have prompted me to have someone fettle it internally and leave me with a rare airgun , reblued , in better than original working order .

Whilst I agree the airgun should have been in better working order irrespective of the asking price unless sold as ' for spares ' , still think that a Dealer would be buying this at this price , then fixing it up , and selling it on at near £450 . It is a Club Special after all .

My local shop has a normal Standard , in original condition /very good blue for £475 , so things balance out .
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

I don't think they are quite as scarce or as pricey as you say.

I have been sent several links to dealers selling them and the going rate seems to top out around £250/£275 depending on condition.

Certainly the one which I bought and then returned should have been in full working order because the faults were not declared. Thus, the asking price of £250 did not take the faults into account and therefore reflected the dealer's true price for the gun. Being a dedicated airgun dealer, I am pretty sure that they haven't got it wrong.

That said, I have seen similar guns for more, depending on provenance I suppose. Mark Knibbs, for example, have got an Improved Model D in 0.25" up for £4000 - a bit outside my price range However, its been on sale for an awfully long time.

As always, with second hand airgun values, any gun is worth what someone is willing to pay at the time. I've got a cracking Airsporter Mk11 in 0.177, supposedly one of only ten commissioned by Gamages in the late '50's with better than average stocks. I paid £375 for it a couple of years ago. I don't believe I'd get that back if I sold it today.

Valuations on here often (and unsurprisingly) vary, according to whether one is looking to buy or sell or whether one already owns an example of the gun in question. We all like to think a) that we've got at least a fair, if not good, deal when buying and b) that our treasured posession is worth far more than it really is.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

People often get a bit confused with the 'CS' or Club Standard guns. There were two CS models, and a later Club model with a 'C' prefix.

The first Club Standard was the 1920's No.1 Club. This was a FULL SIZE gun of 45.5" in length.It is a relatively uncommon gun, as it is not that commonly encountered for sale. The faulty gun you bought from the dealer was a No.1 Club.

The second Club Standard was the 1930's No.4 Club. The was a 43.5 gun, with the later style stock shape and the letters BSA raised in the chequered panels. This in my experience is a lot more commonly encountered for sale, and is not quite as good a gun as the No.1.

Lastly, the 1936-39 'C' prefix Club Standard, is another rarely encountered gun and is the rarest of all the pre-WW2 club designated standards.

The relative scarcity of these guns has a bearing on prices you would typically have to pay. I do think you payed a " fairly robust retail price" for the gun you bought and I too would have expected it to be in full working order for the money that you paid.

Finally the Improved Model D, in the long sporting pattern that is referred to in one of these threads is a VERY VERY rare gun, and is not the same as your run of the mill, Improved model D. True it is priced at £4000, which I would also class as a "very very robust retail price" , you have to ask the question - where is there another one for sale???

The No.1 Club, is a one off...... A flat shooting .177 gun with the full power 45.5" length.IMHO it is the ultimate BSA Standard model of the between wars period.

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    People often get a bit confused with the 'CS' or Club Standard guns. There were two CS models, and a later Club model with a 'C' prefix.

The first Club Standard was the 1920's No.1 Club. This was a FULL SIZE gun of 45.5" in length.It is a relatively uncommon gun, as it is not that commonly encountered for sale. The faulty gun you bought from the dealer was a No.1 Club.

The second Club Standard was the 1930's No.4 Club. The was a 43.5 gun, with the later style stock shape and the letters BSA raised in the chequered panels. This in my experience is a lot more commonly encountered for sale, and is not quite as good a gun as the No.1.

Lastly, the 1936-39 'C' prefix Club Standard, is another rarely encountered gun and is the rarest of all the pre-WW2 club designated standards.

The relative scarcity of these guns has a bearing on prices you would typically have to pay. I do think you payed a " fairly robust retail price" for the gun you bought and I too would have expected it to be in full working order for the money that you paid.

Finally the Improved Model D, in the long sporting pattern that is referred to in one of these threads is a VERY VERY rare gun, and is not the same as your run of the mill, Improved model D. True it is priced at £4000, which I would also class as a "very very robust retail price" , you have to ask the question - where is there another one for sale???

The No.1 Club, is a one off...... A flat shooting .177 gun with the full power 45.5" length.IMHO it is the ultimate BSA Standard model of the between wars period.

Lakey
    Give me a break Lakey, where am I going to get one at a reasonable price now that you've said that?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.