Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sighting in a Steyr LP10

Sighting in a Steyr LP10

As you all know, I have just acquired an LP10. I have been trying to adjust the original Iron sights to zero in on both 6yds and 10 metres. I have wound the elevation screw all the way to the stop but when aligning the top of the fore sight with the top edge of the back sight the pellet strike is still far too high at 10 metres.

There is a metal plate which adjusts the depth of the “U” on the rear sight. I have found, by trial and error, that I can position this plate so that aligning the top of the fore sight with the bottom edge of the “U” I can get it to place the zero at 10 metres but surely this cannot be right? Does anyone have any experience of this?
    Thanks in advance
    Bob
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

Apologies if I am preaching to the converted, but don't forget with a pistol you should be aiming about the bottom of the "5" ring, so you get an unoccluded sight picture.

Are you shooting from a rest to ensure accuracy?

Adrian

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Does it come with additional front sight blades?
    It sounds like a taller blade is in order.
    There's an idaea, theoretically you could have 10m and 6Yd blades
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by adiepie View Post
    Apologies if I am preaching to the converted, but don't forget with a pistol you should be aiming about the bottom of the "5" ring, so you get an unoccluded sight picture.

Are you shooting from a rest to ensure accuracy?

Adrian
    Hi Adrian, no apologies necessary mate, every bit of info is gratefully received.

Also, you are correct in your assumption that I may not have been aiming at the bottom of the 5 ring. I was actually aiming directly at the bull. I was shooting from a rest though.

Kind Regards
    Bob
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Does it come with additional front sight blades?
    It sounds like a taller blade is in order.
    There's an idaea, theoretically you could have 10m and 6Yd blades
    ATB,
    Nick
    Hi Nick,
    No it didn't come with additional front sights but that sounds like a jolly good idea. Something like on the Alecto would be good, where you can just rotate one for the other.
    Last edited by BobSki; 13-06-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo

Try offhand. Thats what they're made for.
    Rested is always different. And, indeed 6 oclock hold!
    ATB,
    yana

Don't forget that to adjust Steyr sights, you have to move the elevation (& windage) in the direction that the shot is going - not the direction you want it to go.
    For example, if the shot is going too high, turn the adjuster to "H" (hoch) - seems perverse, but that's the way it is.
    If you watch the sight, you will see that it will lower as you screw it to "H" and rise to "T" (tief)
    You should have enough adjustment in the standard sights for both 6 & 10 metres.

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    not screwing it the wrong way are you??
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

Quote Originally Posted by essjay View Post
    Don't forget that to adjust Steyr sights, you have to move the elevation (& windage) in the direction that the shot is going - not the direction you want it to go.
    For example, if the shot is going too high, turn the adjuster to "H" (hoch) - seems perverse, but that's the way it is.
    If you watch the sight, you will see that it will lower as you screw it to "H" and rise to "T" (tief)
    You should have enough adjustment in the standard sights for both 6 & 10 metres.
    Yep that did my head in with the FWB 65 until I realised!

It would be very odd indeed if you couldn't adjust an LP10 to shoot spot on. They're expensive so tend to get well looked after, and most of them are only ever shot indoors and are transported in hard padded cases so don't get knocked about.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

the advice above should sort you out.

A good aim is in the low 5 as stated, so pleae let us know how you get on

ATB

Phil
    AAS200T.177 & S510SL .177. FWB P70(diopter), P70 FT(Big Nikko) Steyr LP10, LG110(Big Nikko), LG20(diopter) . The gun is deadly accurate - shame about the user

I have tried off hand too, and yes chaps, I have turned the adjustment screw in the correct sense i.e. toward the "H" which Lowers the rear sight.

I MIGHT have spotted the problem.

I removed the sight from the gun by undoing the single clamping screw. I then wound the elevation screw to its fullest extent in both "up" and "down" planes. When doing this and viewing the sight from underneath, it can be seen that there is a ramp which runs left to right and follower which moves from along the ramp allowing the adjustment spring to alter the height of the sight. When off the gun the clamping rail closes fully up into the top rail which holds the sight i.e. the back sight is fully lowered. There were no obstructions preventing the full and free movement of the sight.

The adjustment screws are quite large and I have noticed that when the sight is clamped in position on the gun, the adjustment screws contact the shoulders of the Walnut grip raising the rear sight by approximately .5mm to 1mm.

If I were going to keep the grip, I would take a Dremel to it and create a little clearance for the adjustment screws, however, this grip which is XS is not going to remain on the gun, so I will wait for Tufty to send my Medium size grip and check this again.

All the best
    Bob

The reason for shooting at the five ring is because a black foresight, against a black rearsight against a black target gives rise to all sorts of optical confabulation (technical term that..) Having a thin bit of white between the "crown" effect of the fore / rear sight stops this.

I still can't hit the bl**dy bull though.......

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by adiepie View Post
    The reason for shooting at the five ring is because a black foresight, against a black rearsight against a black target gives rise to all sorts of optical confabulation (technical term that..) Having a thin bit of white between the "crown" effect of the fore / rear sight stops this.

I still can't hit the bl**dy bull though.......

Adrian
    Thanks for that explanation Adrian, that makes a whole lot of sense.

Regards
    Bob

Earlier I e-mailed Harry Preston outlining my problem and asked if he might have any ideas as to what I was doing wrong.

I really can't believe this but at 10pm on a Sunday night, Harry Preston took the trouble to phone me. After a brief discussion and with Harry still on the phone I took my pistol grip off and removed the black metal horse shoe plate under which SHOULD HAVE BEEN a plastic spacer. This was missing and Harry explained that this was the reason why the sight adjuster screws were fouling the pistol grip and raising the rear sight. Harry offered to send one to me first thing in the morning.

Now that is service above and beyond anyones reasonable expectations. After all, I bought this gun second hand with no guarantees. It turns out it wasn't even an official import, so Harry really has no obligation to either it or me.

Steyr Sportwaffen in general and Harry Preston in particular are an example to all regarding customer care.

All the best
    Bob

That is why people buy Steyr's through Harry. When I bought my daughter's LP2, he took the time and effort with his wife (no mean pistol shooter herself... ) to fit the pistol perfectly to my daughters grip, explaining everything as they went along. The most interesting couple of hours I think I have ever spent!

As soon as I can afford my LP10, guess where I'm going!

Adrian