Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PayPal Whiny-Whiny-Whingers

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick

PayPal Whiny-Whiny-Whingers

Do my head in!
    It's more or less like sending cash to a PO box with no address, I have paid for over half my guns this way - if the recipient has a good trading history or the amount is small the risk is calculable, I haven't had a problem.
    I've missed some good deals where bank transfer wasn't acceptable, collection wasn't possible and there was no trading history - common sense told me I risked losing too much money.
    Why so many people can't work this out in advance & then whine about it afterwards is beyond me, it's a good tool for a job and cheaper than postal orders, most problems occur when some form of security is assumed - there is none if you pay for a gun!
    Am I the only one to work this out?
    Rant Off
    ATB
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

nope you not the only one
    Cheers Lloyd

####s good and easy to use until they stop your account and ask if your laundering money....lol ive only had £1500 go through paypal in 5 years.lol
    www.derbytargets.com

ANYONE AFTER A CUSTOM TARGET HOLDER PLEASE PM ME...ALL TYPES MADE.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The plan often fails when someone who's selling enough to class as a part-time business thinks all the "Gifts" won't arouse suspicion - Planks!
    Most of my purchases have been from enthusiasts selling guns rather than thinly disguised dealers getting away with using the BBS sales section - you know the type, allways buying cheap "not getting on" with their new gun after a short time but funnily enough wanting more than they paid - that's another story but I try never to deal with 'em - Ptooie!
    ATB,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    The plan often fails when someone who's selling enough to class as a part-time business thinks all the "Gifts" won't arouse suspicion - Planks!
    Most of my purchases have been from enthusiasts selling guns rather than thinly disguised dealers getting away with using the BBS sales section - you know the type, allways buying cheap "not getting on" with their new gun after a short time but funnily enough wanting more than they paid - that's another story but I try never to deal with 'em - Ptooie!
    ATB,
    Nick

Oooo young Nick, you're a cynical b'stard but, I agree with you.

I will no longer send PayPal as a gift, as you rightly say PayPal ain't stupid. If the seller is not prepared to absorb the costs that's their problem.

Good luck, Phil

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    I'd never deal with a seller who wants the buyer to "add 4% extra" for paypoo.
    The seller should just add it into the price to start with, instead of putting people off, or pay it themselves if theyre only offering paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
    I'd never deal with a seller who wants the buyer to "add 4% extra" for paypoo.
    The seller should just add it into the price to start with, instead of putting people off, or pay it themselves if theyre only offering paypal.
    So you'd refuse to pay by Postal Order unless discounted the cost?
    And if all sellers who will accept it added something to cover the cost of PayPal you wouldn't expect to get that knocked off if paying by another means?
    I don't expect someone who isn't trading commercially to absorb the cost of accepting my payment - I'm obviously Way Too Nice
    Opinions May Vary
    Nick

I'm obviously Way Too Nice
    Opinions May Vary
    Nick

Yes.

I don't use it at all, but am very disappointed if its the only option the seller uses.

Bank transfer takes seconds, and there's no chance of a chargeback.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

And if all sellers who will accept it added something to cover the cost of PayPal you wouldn't expect to get that knocked off if paying by another means?
    I don't expect someone who isn't trading commercially to absorb the cost of accepting my payment - I'm obviously Way Too Nice
    Opinions May Vary
    Nick
    I'm with you Nick. If I'm selling a gun and I want £100 for it, that is the amount I want in my sweaty palm (or account). I use PP because it's convenient for both me and the buyer.

It's like with retail shops. Many (often smaller) shops add 2 or 3% for card payments because it costs them. OK most shops absorb the cost but that's a business decision on the part of the shop. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    Opinions May Vary
    Nick
    I meant sellers who would only accept paypal. I've seen ads with paypal only, and the buyer has to add paypal fee themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by delta1 View Post
    Yes.

I don't use it at all, but am very disappointed if its the only option the seller uses.

Bank transfer takes seconds, and there's no chance of a chargeback.
    The only problem with Bank transfer is if you should accidentaly put a wrong number the money would go to the wrong person this was on the radio the other day if you report it to your Bank they will contact the recipient and ask them to returne the money but if they do not the Bank will not tell you who it was that got the money so there is no way that you can contact them so your money has gon tough sh+t

PayPal is convenient for BOTH parties. The seller has opened up his/her sale to many people who otherwise couldn't do the deal at that time and the buyer can pay instantly, by credit card if necessary. As BOTH parties get the benefit of PayPal, I think it is only fair that BOTH parties pay toward the fees, So I would be happier for the seller to say Buyer pays half or currently 2% toward the fees.

Just my opinion of course...I'll get my tin hat and flack jacket.
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

Quote Originally Posted by rattycatcher View Post
    PayPal is convenient for BOTH parties. The seller has opened up his/her sale to many people who otherwise couldn't do the deal at that time and the buyer can pay instantly, by credit card if necessary. As BOTH parties get the benefit of PayPal, I think it is only fair that BOTH parties pay toward the fees, So I would be happier for the seller to say Buyer pays half or currently 2% toward the fees.

Just my opinion of course...I'll get my tin hat and flack jacket.
    Makes sense to me as Paypal serves both parties; the seller in ensuring they get paid in full, without issue, and the buyer in case the seller misrepresented the sale. So long as everything that matters is in writing and recoverable, the buyer has speedy comeback.

I bought something off an auction site, with Paypal, and the item was not as described. Raised a dispute, Paypal checked emails between parties and the original advert, and returned my money immediately.

The seller accounting for 4% in the selling price, and then offering a 2% reduction as a gesture at the point of transaction would do what you suggest I think.
    Weihrauch HW40 (.177), Weihrauch HW45 (.22), Weihrauch HW45 Silver Star (.177)

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by shammo View Post
    Makes sense to me as Paypal serves both parties; the seller in ensuring they get paid in full, without issue, and the buyer in case the seller misrepresented the sale. So long as everything that matters is in writing and recoverable, the buyer has speedy comeback.

I bought something off an auction site, with Paypal, and the item was not as described. Raised a dispute, Paypal checked emails between parties and the original advert, and returned my money immediately.

The seller accounting for 4% in the selling price, and then offering a 2% reduction as a gesture at the point of transaction would do what you suggest I think.
    the buyer has no come back, any mention of guns and they will kick the issue and you to the side
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I'll pay the 4%, just don't ask me for a 'gift'