Thread: Help requested!

Help requested!

Gents,
    I would appreciate some advice.
    I am just about to submit a variation for a black powder rifle and would welcome some advice on what types/brands of rifle I should be researching. I will be using the rifle on ranges from 50mtrs to 200 mtrs.
    At this point I should mention I am a novice as far as black powder is concerned!
    Should I consider a flintlock or are they more trouble that they are worth for a “beginner” to black powder?
    If it’s a percussion rifle what types should I research bearing in mind I am a complete beginner (from a black powder perspective)?
    I want to get my variation in but obviously need to specify a calibre should I go with 0.45? or 0.577? or not worry too much at this stage and rely on a one for one variation when I find a suitable rifle?
    Any advice would be welcome!
    Regards
    Lansdown

I would have a look on the pedersoli web site to see what you like the look of first.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Depends on how much "fun" you want to have As you say - real flintlocks can be a pain to get firing properly if your flint isn't up to it, be prepared for loads more tools, e.g. flint knapping hammer, as if BP shooters didnt already have enough kit to carry ! Percussion is a lot less hassle.

Also do some homework on the range where you want to shoot it. The range certificate may have limits on the calibre, some I go to wont allow a .577. Muzzle velocity limits may also apply, but probably wont affect BP shooters.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Help requested

Hi
    I have been shooting blackpowder guns for a number of years and I still don't know which is the best one to have. They are good fun though and interesting.

As a beginner I would avoid the flintlock, they are finicky and need a lot of patience, these are best left until you have more experience.
    I have a flintlock pistol and I will only use it if I have a full day on the range. It can misfire because of a worn flint or if there is grease on the frizzen, (the bit that makes the spark). The flint is prone to shattering as well so always have a few spares if you do get one.

Kranks in Pudsey do a rifle called the Ardesa Ranger, percussion, in .45. I think this is a good calibre to start with and the rifle is only about £200 new. It should help you decide which way you want to go, and the rifle is capable of shooting out to 200yards, and it rifle will not be wasted if you decide on another calibre as you gain experience.
    A new Parker Hale .577 Enfield will set you back around £650 and if you don't take to shooting blackpowder you will have wasted a lot of money.

I hope this is helpful, good luck

Steve

Help requested

Many thanks for your replies and advice.
    At this stage I think I will go with a percussion rifle, but will consider a Flintlock pistol in due course once I get some experience with the rifle and a revolver.
    Best Regards
    Lansdown

Help requested

Hi Lansdown
    As you can see from the name I am interested in flintlocks, I do have a percussion rifle rarely fired; I consider it to be a cap gun. I get my kick out of firing a repo brown Bess and repo English dragoon pistol and French dragoon pistol. Yes you get no fires, flash in the pans, worn/broken flints, very dirty. But you also get days when ever shot is a winner each time you pull the trigger there is a very satisfying boom and a large hole appears in the target.

A lady member of our club made a case to our Fire Arms Dept, that as she had not decided on which calibre she wanted that she should be allowed to purchase a weapon between a range of calibres say 0.45 to 0.577 to allow her a choice and availability. They agreed, maybe your fire arms dept would do the same for you.

Cheers
    Flashinthepan