First Post, so go easy on me. Hopefully, I am allowed to ask a few dumb questions before I am "educated".

I've decided to get myself a good quality air rifle. "Quality" being relative to the choices here in the States. My original intention was to get myself a new rimfire rifle in .17 HMR, but have since "caught the bug" for an air rifle instead. When I was 10 my father bought me a Daisy 880 pumper for Christmas. I remember it clearly and fondly. We had a large back yard, and I would shoot that gun for hours. After many BBs and pellets, I went off to college, got a job, life happened, and forgot about the Daisy. I've had (still have) other firearms, but never another air rifle. Maybe I'm having a mid-life crisis...who knows...who cares

I've done a bit of homework, and have tenatively decided on a Beeman R9 Goldfinger unless several of you tell me this is a bad choice. This gun would be used mostly for plinking and target shooting and maybe a few pests. I would like it to be relatively light easy to handle. And while the R7 might fit my needs fine...I'm a guy, and if I spend this kind of money on a rifle I would like accuracy, quality, AND power.

My questions are this:
1. Is the R9's price range ($270-$300 US rifle - $380-$400 US rifle/scope combo) the "sweet spot"? The best springer I can find in a store in my area is the Gamo 440 Hunter rifle/scope combo for about $240 US, is the R9 worth the extra $140? Or, on the other hand, would spending more money on a rifle (R1, HW77/97, TX200) be worth the extra $200 or so?

2. Since I will probably have to buy online, what web site do you suggest? If anyone knows of a place I can buy a good air rifle near the Middle Tennessee area, please let me know!

3. It seems the vast majority of people on this board are in Europe, and the sport of Airgunning is much, much more popular in Europe than the States. Why is that?

Thanks to all.