Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
Hi....As Gareth found out recently, That auction site is a funny old place!....That Pylarm tin of his normally sells for £8-10 all day long, yet there was no interest despite two listings........maybe everbody has one

I still sit and shake my head some weeks when an average example of something fetches 2 or even 3 times the amount of a really nice, identical type of tin that may have been for sale a few weeks previously, maybe people are on holiday, who knows, but consistency in prices is normally there, with the odd blip caused by two people having a bidding war. Anyway, back to subject, if your tin looks like the two lowest in this photo;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7607964699940/

Then believe it or not, one sold for over £20 recently.......now don't get excited ......I was following the auction, and when I clicked on the item to see what it had sold for....I went as well

They normally go for £4-8 in fair condition, a little more if full and taped, say maybe £8-10........but you never know who is out there who may be just getting into starting a collection/just bought a boxed gun missing the tin etc. who must have it NOW!

The last two reasons, plus being in a bidding war and getting carried away, are the only reasonable explanations of the occasional silly prices paid for fairly recent, common tins....The vintage stuff is where the big prices are, especially cardboard packets from the early 1900's and pre 1900 tins, as so few survive in good condition.

Hope this helps, Ed
cheers for that ed,mine is the red one at the very bottom of the pic,although the tin base is a bit rusty the top is ok,fired one shot over the chrono through the mfr and it was 'hot' ,have'nt used the pellets since