Thread: Webley Falcon

Arrow Webley Falcon

Hi all

Friend of mine showed me a rather nice ( albiet in need of a major overhaul ) a webley Falcon in .22 cal . The serial was 6009 and the one thing I noticed was how positive the barrel 'clicked' into place when cocking , I would go as far to say it was the best break barrel I have ever tried

Were they all like that or is this one an oddity ? What are they worth in poor and very good condition ?

many thanks

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Falcon

One of my favourite guns. Value? well I reckon a rough one missing its rearsight about £20 to £30 (YES WE ALL KNOW VIRTUALLY ALL GUNS ARE WORTH MORE BROKEN AS SPARES) and seen them advertised up to £140 . I picked up a really good one for £65 I think and have seen them on here in the £45 to £60 region needing a bit of tlc. Budget for a mainspring and piston washer and maybe a breech washer although the latter is easy to make out of leather. The main fault found with these guns is that the cocking slot on the piston can wear to the point where the gun wont cock. RED BOB on here has welded one up for me and a few others as well and it seems to sort it out. I have sent him the piston without a cylinder abd it usually takes a few minutes with a bit of wet and dry to get it to fit spot on. If you only want to plink, fitting a Diana 25 manspring makes it very easy to cock. I did one for my niece like this. The other thing with these guns is sometimes the 4ba screw on the LHS of the cylinder that locates the trigger block is chewed. I had to drill and tap one to 3ba but usually use a 4ba brass screw with the head cut off and a slot cut in the top of the thread. I think they are a great fun classic
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Thanks for that , much appreciated . Whats the optimum power that can be achieved ?

atvb

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

Hi King plinker I have a mark 2 without the webley medalion in stock( fitted to mark 1 only) I agree with previous posts one of the best break barrels that old Webley made. Mines .22 and its putting out 10 ft lbs with air arms 5.52 . enjoy. atb Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    One of my favourite guns. Value? well I reckon a rough one missing its rearsight about £20 to £30 (YES WE ALL KNOW VIRTUALLY ALL GUNS ARE WORTH MORE BROKEN AS SPARES) and seen them advertised up to £140 . I picked up a really good one for £65 I think and have seen them on here in the £45 to £60 region needing a bit of tlc. Budget for a mainspring and piston washer and maybe a breech washer although the latter is easy to make out of leather. The main fault found with these guns is that the cocking slot on the piston can wear to the point where the gun wont cock. RED BOB on here has welded one up for me and a few others as well and it seems to sort it out. I have sent him the piston without a cylinder abd it usually takes a few minutes with a bit of wet and dry to get it to fit spot on. If you only want to plink, fitting a Diana 25 manspring makes it very easy to cock. I did one for my niece like this. The other thing with these guns is sometimes the 4ba screw on the LHS of the cylinder that locates the trigger block is chewed. I had to drill and tap one to 3ba but usually use a 4ba brass screw with the head cut off and a slot cut in the top of the thread. I think they are a great fun classic

Hiya mate, I agree on your pricing, As you said, " Its worth more in parts "
    But £20-£30 doesn,t buy anything, Especially Webley ! ( I have Parquet floors ) throughout the house, They have been down 10 years & need some Tlc, Re-sanding Etc, ( What a pain ! )
    I have just paid, £40 x 2 for some Diamond hard floor varnish ! I suppose if they last another 10 years its good value, How much in 10 years ,!

As you know, I have a complete & shooting ( Just ) Webley Falcon action, Complete with both open sights, The front one is the same as the Webley Mk 111.

A set of open sights, ( for any gun ) is cheap at £20 posted, A stock is £30, Piston £10, Barrel £20, Etc Etc, this is for the cheaper guns, ?
    Just my opinion. noticed they make OLD spares anymore .
    Ha ha, All the best ( Still trying to sell up ) Ged.
    Last edited by gedfinn 2; 24-06-2010 at 05:34 AM.

Hi kingplinker
    The webley falcon is no power house, i have had four of them and after fitting new springs and washers the power is around the 6ft lbs mark, i have one at the moment in .177 and thats doing just under 6 ft lbs and shoots spot on with the open sights, Hillers fourth edition has the muzzle velocity as 550 f.p.s. for .177 and 500 f.p.s for .22.
    JJJJJJ

Thanks very much , I wondered if they were going to be around the 9ft lb mark but they don't look like powerful hunters do they . lol

I think I will look out for a cheap one to restore - great little plinker it would seem .

cheers

Dave

i have had several falcons over the years including a mk1 in .177 i think they were under sprung for target work,i fitted an ox spring and it blow the breach washer out so i fitted a O ring to replace the leather one shot very powerful i like them alot here is a couple of pics of my current one in .22 it is as powerful as mk111 or airsporter i own it has taken many rabbits and pigeons.

Quote Originally Posted by smallholder1 View Post
    i have had several falcons over the years including a mk1 in .177 i think they were under sprung for target work,i fitted an ox spring and it blow the breach washer out so i fitted a O ring to replace the leather one shot very powerful i like them alot here is a couple of pics of my current one in .22 it is as powerful as mk111 or airsporter i own it has taken many rabbits and pigeons.

Excellent thanks for that , was the rear sight made from brass by any chance ???

atvb

Dave

hi i presume you mean the mk1 .177,i don't know most of it was missing when i got it the only bit that remained was part of a ramp like that you get on smk b2 rifles but instead of welded on it was dove tailed so i made a rear sight to fit the dove tail.

Quote Originally Posted by smallholder1 View Post
    hi i presume you mean the mk1 .177,i don't know most of it was missing when i got it the only bit that remained was part of a ramp like that you get on smk b2 rifles but instead of welded on it was dove tailed so i made a rear sight to fit the dove tail.
    Don't know , my mates one is a .22 cal with all the bits including a brass rear sight which looks like its been painted . Not sure if it's original or a later addition ?

cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Kingplinker View Post
    Don't know , my mates one is a .22 cal with all the bits including a brass rear sight which looks like its been painted . Not sure if it's original or a later addition ?

cheers

Dave
    Hi All, I am sure it was never in brass !
    I have this, Its a complete ( Missing one locking screw ) Open sights Etc, tired, but shooting with scope rail, Number 9000 ish I think. £35 + post, Or best offer,

Cheers, ged.

Hi Kingplinker

Do you have any pics of this webley falcon, i made a brass rear sight for one of these in the late 1970s and i painted it black as iam not that far away from you it could of been one of mine, i remember when i folded the sight up i had cut the slots a bit to far so they are not as the origanal sight iam sure i could tell if i saw the sight close up and it was a .22 aswell.
    JJJJJJ

How strange

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    Hi Kingplinker

Do you have any pics of this webley falcon, i made a brass rear sight for one of these in the late 1970s and i painted it black as iam not that far away from you it could of been one of mine, i remember when i folded the sight up i had cut the slots a bit to far so they are not as the origanal sight iam sure i could tell if i saw the sight close up and it was a .22 aswell.
    JJJJJJ
    Sounds like a plan , the rifle is a friend of my hunting mates . I will try to get a pic and post it on here .

atvb

Dave