Thread: 92FS woes!

Unhappy 92FS woes!

Put around half a tin of pellets through mine today, it appears I may have slightly killed it.

Every so often, and seemingly only when shooting double action, on pulling the trigger it goes Phut and the pellet does not clear the mag. It clears for a while, then does it again.

Tried different mags, new gas, taking time between shots, all the things I can think of.

I am suspecting a sticky/ blocked valve, but wanted to ask on here before I went further. occasionally the pellet leaves the mag, but drops a couple of feet short of a ten yard target.

How easy are these to strip/ clean/rebuild?

What bits are likely to fly out and hide behind the sofa?

Is my supposition of a sticky valve correct?
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Does it work every time if cocked & fired single action?
    If the problem is only when firing double action it's worth looking at the hammer mechanism, the double action mechanism is in part different to the double action.
    Disassembly - the first time with any gun - working in a big plastic bag always helps
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

I've not had it fail in single action yet, but its gone more than once in double.

Put simply, some times there's not enough CO2 getting through to the pellet.

I can count to potato.

stagmanv835 is offline i tend to drink while on the bbs
    I have had that a few times when it mis-fires have a look at the pellet, if it has a small cresent mark the mag has not indexed properly , i have found using new mags sorts problem
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for

Rich I had exactly the problems you describe with my Colt 1911 straight out of the box - you get the muted "phut" and the pellet is still there in the mag, in my case sitting slightly skew-wiff. I tried every mag I had - about 11 I think - all the same result. Fine in S/A though.

It seems like some indexing pawl misalignment problem, although Im sorry but I can't tell you how to cure it - mine went to Brockock under warranty for a free repair and now it's fine.

If it's under 12 months old, ship it back to Brockock. You can borrow my 92FS next Saturday if you like.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    If it's marking the unfired pellets it's a timing issue, I've had this on a Smith, the pawl was working OK as shown when using it single action, the "hand" which locks the cylinder wasn't locating properly and needed shimming to remove a little slack,
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Not had chance to try it, but an alignment problem sounds reasonable.

Spoken to Brocock this morning, just need to give them a ring first, then sneak off and drop it in for them to look at.

Good job I bought the Smith!

Now I need to buy something just in case I break the Smith.....

I can count to potato.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Rich I had exactly the problems you describe with my Colt 1911 straight out of the box - you get the muted "phut" and the pellet is still there in the mag, in my case sitting slightly skew-wiff. I tried every mag I had - about 11 I think - all the same result. Fine in S/A though.

It seems like some indexing pawl misalignment problem, although Im sorry but I can't tell you how to cure it - mine went to Brockock under warranty for a free repair and now it's fine.

If it's under 12 months old, ship it back to Brockock. You can borrow my 92FS next Saturday if you like.
    Wife bought me a Colt Trophy model way back when they first came out. Had exactly the same problem with it. Along with my gunsmith at the time, we came to the conclusion that it was actually the D/A hammer pull which, being shorter and hence not striking the valve with the same force as it did when manaully cocked, which was at the root of the problem. Spent ages fiddling parts, fitting replacement levers etc. and eventually gave up. Went back to using my CP88 and the Colt has sat in its box virtually unused since

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Collector View Post
    Wife bought me a Colt Trophy model way back when they first came out. Had exactly the same problem with it. Along with my gunsmith at the time, we came to the conclusion that it was actually the D/A hammer pull which, being shorter and hence not striking the valve with the same force as it did when manaully cocked, which was at the root of the problem. Spent ages fiddling parts, fitting replacement levers etc. and eventually gave up. Went back to using my CP88 and the Colt has sat in its box virtually unused since
    That's a real shame, the Trophy is a superb gun and when you think you could have had it repaired for free under warranty...

Why don't you give Brocock's a ring and see what they'd charge for an out-of-warranty repair? It might be quite a cheap fix?

I'm off to Brocock as soon as I can sneak a day off!

I can count to potato.

That's a real shame, the Trophy is a superb gun and when you think you could have had it repaired for free under warranty...
    Yeah you're right, I suppose I should have. I have quite a collection of CO2 and done a power of shooting with them at the time though. The chap who was my gunsmith back then however was always my first port of call for any servicing work because he never let me down and always had a quick turn round.

Why don't you give Brocock's a ring and see what they'd charge for an out-of-warranty repair? It might be quite a cheap fix?
    Perhaps someday I might. Right now I've kinda gone cold on competitive shooting. The continual attacks on the sport, especially up here in Jockland, is largely responsible for that and TBH, I also have several 1911 variant airsofts which if I'm honest, for short range reactive shooting, IPSC, IDPA etc. I find far more satisfying to use.

Yeah you're right, I suppose I should have. I have quite a collection of CO2 and done a power of shooting with them at the time though. The chap who was my gunsmith back then however was always my first port of call for any servicing work because he never let me down and always had a quick turn round.

Perhaps someday I might. Right now I've kinda gone cold on competitive shooting. The continual attacks on the sport, especially up here in Jockland, is largely responsible for that and TBH, I also have several 1911 variant airsofts which if I'm honest, for short range reactive shooting, IPSC, IDPA etc. I find far more stasfying to use.