Thread: Pellet ID help

Pellet ID help

Hi
    Can anybody help ID these pellets (tins and composition paper containers)
    which are of German manufacture. Blue tins (2.4 D Marks) are postwar and the others, maybe prewar.
    (Troubledshooter) will be posting a pic/link in the near future, to help.
    They are all 4.5mm and around 30+ unopened tins/containers.
    Amazing what you find in Spain.
    Richard
    Last edited by redair; 28-06-2010 at 04:17 AM. Reason: typo error

Last edited by Troubledshooter; 28-06-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Additional Link

I haven't seen the early ones before, but the blue tin in the third picture is a type often available on fleabay Germany.
    I can't post a working link because of the fleabay word which this site changes, but put this item number into fleabay (.co.uk or .com) and it will find it.
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

Blue Tin 'VEB'

I have a tin of these courtesy of a friend abroad who told me they are post War - East German manufacture .
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

East German?

It might be significant that the full name of the post-war "Haenel", as given by John Walter, is VEB Fahrzeug - und Jagdwaffenfabrik 'Ernst Thalmann'.

Which I think means VEB Bicycle(?) and Hunting weapon Factory 'Ernst ... ', so presumably the 'VEB' is a distinctly East German title for a business? My guess would be that the 'V' stands for Volks - peoples' (in the sense of 'commonly owned by the people'). It is possible that it was a former Sellier & Bellot ammunition factory.

Iain

Pellets

Many thanks gents as we seem to be getting closer to the origin.
    Richard

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Richard, as others have said,the blue tin is a D.D.R. (east German) item.....If you go on the German page of that auction site there may well be still huge numbers of this tin for sale, often in bulk (they were at least around a year ago).....They normally have a circular piece of paper with health and safety info on lead in the tins on top of the balls when new. The older ones date wise are harder....I have an example of the second photo which I bought on fleabay.de, and the seller said they were interwar period, and probably late 1930's......but I don't know if this was just his opinion, or a guess

Can only give a literal translation??

Air Gun Bullets (Kugeln covers ball pellets and bullets)

Diablo

Vebrauch (manufactured I think?)

Explosives Factory Schonbeck

Elbe Valley (River Elbe)

I only learned colloquial German, and have not used it since 1978, hope this helps, Ratty.

See here;
    http://www.freilassung.de/div/texte/spreng/veb.htm

Founded 1829 as Sellier & Bellot, other history given, then the important information, in 1951 "VEB Sprengstoffwerk I Schönebeck" was founded. Therefore all the pellets are East German including those in the paper containers.

Company was renamed in 1990 when East and West Germany re-unified.
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantomurata View Post
    See here;
    http://www.freilassung.de/div/texte/spreng/veb.htm

Founded 1829 as Sellier & Bellot, other history given, then the important information, in 1951 "VEB Sprengstoffwerk I Schönebeck" was founded. Therefore all the pellets are East German including those in the paper containers.

Company was renamed in 1990 when East and West Germany re-unified.
    And also are post 1951, as opposed to the info that the seller gave me.....Thanks for the link!

Pellets

I think you gentleman have finally got me there.
    There were also masses of paper targets, some dated 1947 which would tie in with the quoted age of some of the pellets. Also a outline figure of Herr Hit in aluminium, on a wall plaque and a steel target holder, which shows many hits. No outline drawings of Ruskies.
    Many thanks again,

Richard