Thread: blueing problems

blueing problems

hi all I have a BSA Airsporter mk1 which was need of some TLC, so striped and oiled the stock which look good in fact it was good enough to decide to get the gun re-blued took it to Daystate as the were near enough to me at the time, the gun came back quite blotched they said that it was to do with the metal and that they had tried the process a few times, any ideas on what my be done to get it looking good again any advice much appreciated

edbear2 Guest
    Hi..Sorry to hear this, and it is a difficult one as you are dealing with a well known company...but to be 100% frank, the "it was the metal" story you have been given IMHO, is total rubbish!!!

These guns are made from top quality materials, and I suspect the parts either were not degreased properly, or the metal finishing was patchy, or possibly tank temperature or the chemicals had problems. Your problem is how to either get it redone, or get a refund...The place which has got top marks from dozens of members on here is Manchester Air Guns

http://www.manchesterairguns.co.uk/

The Refinishing bluing guru there is Colin Malloy, who may possibly be able to do a report, or advise you of how to approach the people who did yours....It may be the case that if you go back armed with some constuctive, professional advice, they may be a little more helpful....I would insist on a refund, and send it to M.A.G.

I know it is hard to go back and try to do this, especially as it is a well known firm, but I am sure that armed with some technical information you should at least get a refund!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on, Ed

Im suprised at daystate saying this!
    Ive done some blueing - to a poor standard . and usually blotchiness is down to the chemicals or the preparation, Id assume with daystate its not the chemicals, so leaving me with an assumption, - I admit based on very little knowledge,- that it was the preparation. Ive not heard of Mk1 airsporters having poor quality metal.

First speak to Colin at manchester airguns, then get him to do it and then with your results ask daystate for a refund.

and as ed said keep us informed! Andy
    AMT Lightning Winchester 250
    Berretta Silver Pigeon II ... Nikko Daiwa 12g
    AA TX200 .177 Prosport .22 HW 90 .22 Venom .22

Cheers for all the advice, had my suspicions that a bit of bull was being dished but hey you live and learn not worth chacing the cash but will give Manchester airguns a bell and see what they think thanks

I am reading this thread with great interest as I would like my FWB 65 doing soon.

I dont want to post it.

Can anyone recomend somewhere with a similar reputation to MAG in the Berkshire/Surrey/London area?

Cheers
    Ian

Airsporter Mk1 bluing

Here is my Airsporter which I recently had blued at MAG nice job.
    Mac

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elanmac View Post
    Here is my Airsporter which I recently had blued at MAG nice job.
    Mac

How did you do the etching please?