Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I give up on pistols?

Should I give up on pistols?

I've been shooting air pistol for nearly 2 years now. I've worked quite hard at it but my scores are stuck in the 530's at best. Today I shot smallbore prone rifle at 25 yds for the first time in 18 months (and I've only done it a few times ever). I shot 10 shots to zero - then two cards. First was 97, second was 98. Seems to me that I'm way better at rifle than pistol.

I wonder if I should ditch the pistol.

U.

The question is, why are you doing it. ?

If you just want to do something that you can win at probably go for rifle, if you enjoy perfecting something that you are not so good at stay with pistol or go with rifle and perfect it till you hit 100 every time.

I see people all the time fixated on winning and really holding themselves back in the process.

I picked up an air pistol for the first time last Nov and have never been close to a 530. 260 in a half match and 512 in a full match.

I am showing improvement and enjoying it, in the last .22 rifle bench rest match I shot 199/200 and got a nice silver trophy to keep for a whole year and a little naff plastic thing to keep forever

But if I had to give something up it wouldn't be air pistol

br22

Urban,

Have you had any pistol coaching? and if yes by who? ie club level coach, county level coach, national coach etc...?

Remember that prone rifle is much easier than pistol, it takes more effort to become a good pistol shooter than it does to become a good prone shot.

Ad

Quote Originally Posted by AD_K View Post
    Remember that prone rifle is much easier than pistol, it takes more effort to become a good pistol shooter than it does to become a good prone shot.
    Well, that depends on how you measure.
    If you measure by how difficult it is to get into A-class or X-class, then they're equally difficult.
    If you measure by how difficult it is to get a certain grouping, then obviously prone rifle is an inherently more accurate firearm in a much more stable position.
    Air pistol is difficult in the same way air rifle or .22 standing are difficult.

It depends why you're doing it. If for competition, then it would appear you have more of an affinity (or more experience) with rifle. If for enjoyment, then that's obviously something you have to decide for yourself.

Also depends if you've had any coaching.
    I self-taught myself to shoot .22 rifle standing by looking at books and examining how others shot standing and why they adopted the various positions that they did. A session with a coach (ISSF Class-C) did no end of good for my scores and stamina after she pointed out all sorts of niggly little things I'd never quite reconciled or indeed not picked up on in the first place.
    Last edited by Hemmers; 04-07-2010 at 12:41 AM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

I think it is best to shoot the discipline that you enjoy most even if it is not the one that gives you the best scores. Which type of shooting gives you the most satisfaction?

I enjoy all types of shooting. I must admit that one of the reasons I chose to concentrate on pistol is because of the comparative lack of hassle - no jacket, sling, mat, scope etc etc - just one small bag to carry to the range. It's also easier to practice with pistol at home - less space needed to dry fire and I can shoot at 6yds in my shed.

Also I find prone rifle, although I enjoy doing it, to be a quite uncomfortable experience (especially yesterday when it was far too hot to be lying in a hot range wearing a tight jacket).

But it would be nice to win something one day! And my scores yesterday, with a 30 year old Match 54 and after no significant coaching or practice contrast with what I can achieve after 2 years of training (and a bit of coaching, including with the national pistol coach) with my Steyr LP10.

I shall stick with pistol for a while. But if I can't get to 550 by the end of the year then maybe I'll give rifle a fair crack of the whip instead.

U.

Hów do you train? How often?
    Whát do you train?
    What do you already know reg correct technique etc?
    Training the wrong way doesnt help..best to train less but correctly, than often and wrong.
    I'm a trainer myself. If you want some email help, just mail me, no prob.
    530 isnt bad you know! Its nearly a 9 over 60 shots (540!)
    Thats pretty well shot!
    But, indeed, prone rifle is easier to achieve high scores cause its prone and more stable. Competition is just as hard though, as the others are shooting good scores as well.
    You probably just received a limit for now, with pistol. With other/better training it should be possible to up that further.
    ATB,
    yana

So you shot two cards that would put you into A Class, Just! The thing is that for most comp entries they want an average of a minimum of 5 or 6 cards, and often prefer an average of 10! It is quite easy to shoot a couple of good cards, I bet you shoot a few like that with the pistol, doing it consitently is the problem, as I know well. I am not too sure of the scores usually needed to put you in the differnet classes, as I only ever shot UIT Standard Pistol, and haven't done so since 97, but seem to remember that an 88 average was somewhere near the top of C Class and knocking on the door of B, so not too shaby really. I have been doing formal target shooting for over 30 years now, and I am still regularly unhappy with the scores that I am shooting, I occasionally put in a really good score, but more often than not I am no more than slightly above average, and am let down by being an inconsitant shooter, equally likely to shoot a 94 or 98. It is the quest for consitancy, which if it were consitanly at the higher scores, would make me happy.
    To be honnest it is not because it is easy that I shoot, but the fact that it is difficult to maintain any sort of standard that keeps me shooting, if it was really easy then where is the challenge?

Alan

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Powderfinger has it right.

I've dabbled with pistols for years. I don't have good eyesight, steady hands, or great concentration: but shooting pistol helps me at all three.

It's all about enjoyment, and to me, enjoyment often means overcoming problems, and seeing even a bit of improvement.

I'll never be a great pistol shooter, but I'll never give it up either. Why? Just because, as upset as it makes me at times, I still get a kick out of it.

Jim

P.S. I also have made the discovery that I do better with air rifle than with air pistol, but I've decided to do rifle in addition to, rather than instead of.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by urban winter View Post
    I've been shooting air pistol for nearly 2 years now. I've worked quite hard at it but my scores are stuck in the 530's at best. Today I shot smallbore prone rifle at 25 yds for the first time in 18 months (and I've only done it a few times ever). I shot 10 shots to zero - then two cards. First was 97, second was 98. Seems to me that I'm way better at rifle than pistol.

I wonder if I should ditch the pistol.

U.
    Depends on your age.
    When shooting full bore pistol, I shot some fantastic scores, once broke a world record in practice.

30 years later I cannot hope to get a good score.
    To many health problems.
    I now shoor pistols, full bore and air, sitting in a chair and holding them with both hands.
    Aint no competitions for shooting like that.

But I still do shoot because I love shooting.

So l would say, shoot which ever gives you the most pleasure.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    only 2 years...lightweight
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Maybe, just maybe, shooting a pistol has helped you with technique for shooting the rifle? I know this is the case for me

Don't give up the pistol.
    I plink therefore I am
    Weihrauch HW100S Air Arms S400 GinB Feinwerkbau C60 Weihrauch HW77K Steyr LP10 Feinwerkbau C55 Brocock Aim-X Gamo Compact Weihrauch HW40 Click here to see my collection

You're at a considerably higher level than me, but I asked for advice on this thread and it helped enormously. It's pretty much all stuff I'd read before, but being reminded of it again was useful. I can now just about hold the black - on the UBC scaled 6 metre target I've gone from low 70s to mid 80s in a couple of weeks.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    You're at a considerably higher level than me, but I asked for advice on this thread and it helped enormously. It's pretty much all stuff I'd read before, but being reminded of it again was useful. I can now just about hold the black - on the UBC scaled 6 metre target I've gone from low 70s to mid 80s in a couple of weeks.
    Good for you, Nikkormat, and I'm glad that the UBC was able to help.

I'm still a low to mid 70's man myself, most of the time, but occasionally do better.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

My scores are in the mid 60's!

Not bothered - I love pistols and will carry on practicing. Never having has any tuition I have been picking a few tips up from 'Competitive Pistol Shooting' by Laslo Antal - and feel that I am very gradually getting better - or at least more consistenly bad.

As long as you enjoy it why worry?

Cheers
    Ian