Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: .177 or.22

.177 or.22

I know it has all been said before but for vermin shooting what is best as I am in the position to by a new pcp will also use it for target work but really want the best for clean head shots I already have the sights sorted Bushnell elite 4200 6-24x40 just need the gun now please help

Why dont we have a 'Yawn' smilie?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J.
    Why dont we have a 'Yawn' smilie?
    How funny I only want help sorry if it's boring for you

sniper22 Guest
    or "jesus! not again" smilie too

wornspring Guest
    Currently I am using a .22 springer for target work and for hunting if I ever get the chance . But I will be getting a .177 Pcp Xmas for target and hunting . So unless you want to compromise and get .20 cal. Current thinking says .177 is the one

Lets get this over with then.

.177 at up to 12 ftlbs, .22 if you're going FAC, .20 if you can't make up your mind.

Excellent choice of scope by the way.

David

sniper22 Guest
    ere we go again.
    .177 if your good enough to do headshots 100% of the time. or targets.
    .20 if you like looking for decent pellets.
    .22 if you can get used to the trajectory and dont mind heart/lung shots.
    .25 fac preferred.

Beer Hunter Guest
    .177 flies flatter therefore less sensitive to range estimation errors
    .177 is less affected by wind (not what you would think!)
    .22 packs more retained power at all ranges (e.g. 11 ft.lb at muzzle equates to 8.3 lb.ft versus 6.6 lb.ft @ 40 yards)
    .22 makes a bigger hole, damages more tissue and imparts more energy into your quarry.

So, if you can judge your distance to +/- 2 yards within 40 yards then .22 is the better hunting calibre. As you are asking this question, you obviously have little experience and therefore .177 would be better for you.

Nice scope

In future, please do a search first!!!!

Nice collection there Tony, especially that zeiss scope.

ripley AR5S - zeiss 4-14x42, weihrauch hw 97 - ags 3-9x40, daystate harrier x2 sport - leupold vari x iii 4.5 - 14x40, daystate 500 #1 simmons aetec 3.8 - 12x44, daystate huntsman (the last one ever made) leupold vx iii 4.5-14x50 long range, air arms t.d.r - simmons aetec 3.8-12x44,air arms ev2 grey laminate - nikko 10-50x60, hw45 - armson tritium red dot..

BSA Firebird Express comes both .177 and .22 in the same gun

If you can find one

Ray

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by TER...
    ..22 packs more retained power at all ranges (e.g. 11 ft.lb at muzzle equates to 8.3 lb.ft versus 6.6 lb.ft @ 40 yards)
    With respect mate, b0ll0x

Pellet choice is a rather significant factor, choose wisely and the best .22 pellet ballistically (JSB AA) will only have about 1 FP more than the best .177s (BisMAgs, JSBs, Prems, (and Exes in some barrels)).

Anyways, go .177, job done. Oh, nice scope
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray J
    BSA Firebird Express comes both .177 and .22 in the same gun

If you can find one

Ray
    In my experience the same action with different calibre - .177 is usually 20% less efficient so unless your willing to increase the power of the action when you change from .22 to .177 (and, of course reduce it when you go back .177 to .22) you will not have a full power .177.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Paul Hudson Guest
    Firebird barrels were supplied in tuned lengths to overcome the efficiency difference...

Paul.

Beer Hunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBoy
    With respect mate, b0ll0x

Pellet choice is a rather significant factor, choose wisely and the best .22 pellet ballistically (JSB AA) will only have about 1 FP more than the best .177s (BisMAgs, JSBs, Prems, (and Exes in some barrels)).

Anyways, go .177, job done. Oh, nice scope
    I disagree. You choose your pellets on the basis of which is the most accurate in your gun, not on which has the highest retained energy.

Using the best BC of a commonly available .177 pellet (Bisley Magnums @ 0.023) and assuming muzzle energy of 11.5 lb.ft, you will have a 40 yard energy of 7.7 lb.ft.
    Using a AA Field or JSB / DayState pellet in .177 (widely regarded as one of the most accurate in most guns) will give you a 40 yard energy of 6.9 lb.ft.
    A .22 with the same muzzle energy using AA Field will have a 40 yard energy of 8.6 lb.ft.

Whether the difference is 0.9 lb.ft or 1.7 lb.ft this is still a significant advantage especially if you consider a 12 lb.ft gun to be marginal for hunting. Try dropping a 0.9 lb rod of .22” diameter from 1 ft on your hand and tell me it does not hurt!

Furthermore a .177 pellet causes less damage once it hits and is more likely to travel straight through your quarry and therefore transfer less energy.

I’ll say it again - .22 is the best hunting calibre if you are good enough to hit the target. If you are inexperienced, bad at judging distance or shooting targets .177 wins every time.

Kevin.

Well said.