Thread: BSA prewar SL model

edbear2 Guest

BSA prewar SL model

Was in my parts box last night, and realised that I have pretty much all of both a Light model and a .22 standard, both bought cheap as bitsa's / spares mules......So I got to thinking

CS 45" guns (ie. .177 full size) are fairly thin on the ground compared to the .22 size, so I wonder how a Light model front end would perform on a Standard cylinder......The barrel is only about an inch and a quarter shorter, but has a thinner, lighter appearance, It would be a simple job, just a dovetail cut in to accommodate the longer cocking arm, and a blanking wedge to fill where the original latch went...(both guns are close in age luckily, so no problems with later pivots etc.)...you would end up with possibly a nice 43 1/2 inch .177 gun, with a bit more oomph than the Model D of the same size....It would be easily reversible as well if it proved not to perform...

So now I would be left with a .22 tube and half a light model........

I don't know how a long barrelled .22 Ladies model would perform though....probably like a miniature version of the .25

I wonder if anyone at the time did this at BSA......If I had worked there surrounded by racks of different tubes/cylinders etc., I would have made all sorts......and to be fair, the original "Junior", (as opposed to Juvenile) was basically a Light model with 2" chopped off each end according to Mr Knibbs in The Golden Century book.....I rest my case!

P.S..my mate reckons I have breathed in too much argon over the years from welding......But I can't help myself!

Hi Edd, I can't wait to see it, sounds like a winner to me...Dave...

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    P.S..my mate reckons I have breathed in too much argon over the years from welding......But I can't help myself!
    Just read that sentence as "breathed in too much airgun" then Ed - would make more sense.

I'd be interested to know how the .22 back end with a Light front end feels to shoot. I've often thought I would prefer the weight to be further back on the big S/CS no.1 models. Which is partly why that 1913 patent lever action BSA that never went into production appeals to me so much.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

You've tooo much time on your hands Ed....sounds like you need a break...

Just make sure you have it ready for me to try at Bisley on Saturday

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Just make sure you have it ready for me to try at Bisley on Saturday
    Can't make it mate.......and I will be building up the light pattern complete first from others I have (to make sure it shoots well), otherwise the whole exercise will not give a fair result.

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    You've tooo much time on your hands Ed....sounds like you need a break...
    ...not really...I get an hours dinnerbreak at work, plus I can go in early or maybe sneak the odd half hour if I am in the middle of something....I just can't bear sitting (as others do) in a small y tearoom breathing in fag smoke and either talking footie, soaps or picking holes in the appearance of some 20 year old in "nuts" magazine or the like, I would rather be outside or keeping busy, I actually find that I am more relaxed after an hour of what I do than if I just sit on my aris

Nuff said Eddie.......but there are some fit birds in Nuts......I do a lot of "lookin"..these daze....

edbear2 Guest
    Okeydokey.........Made a start at break time today......removal of both barrels was a 10 min job....I think you could have even used an industrial hot air gun to soften the solder, such is the low melting point...I use a strap wrench gently on the cylinder, applying light constant pressure to ensure it moves the moment the temperature is just enough to break the seal....These front threads, as opposed to the often loose rear ends, are perfect and snug in fit, mainly because they have not been constantly used like the rear ones!...The solder is just to stop rotation / provide a 100% air - tight seal...If the structural grades of locktite had been around in the 1920's / 30's, then they would not have gone to this trouble (as they don't thesedays)....

Barrel comparison;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7624319794343/

Light versus standard air chamber;

Breech blocks (solder still on threads)

Breech / air chamber end....note the marks...the Light looks like it has had a ball bearing in it at some stage....and the Standard has had contact from the washer screw due to either it coming loose, or perhaps a disintegrating washer unit at some stage;

Have seen FAR worse, so pretty happy!......Having the cylinders loose like this makes it really easy to clean/inspect/polish the bore walls (it is just a piece of C.D.S. tube with a thread each end and a slot cut in it, plus a couple of drilled holes)

The Barrels, on the other hand, are lovely forgings, and the photo shows the slimmer profile of the Light model unit....weight wise, it is 200g lighter at 744g as opposed to 944g on the Standard....The main point of the exercise is to create a .177 with some of the front heaviness of the 45" gun removed, but the thought of a long barreled, .22 light model is starting to appeal, if only to see how it shoots (like a morter I expect).....anyway, next step is to clean all and do a quick dry build (without machining the new cocking latch dovetail)...to see what occurs

Are sure you did not work for BSA in a previous live....Very nice little project,bit of metal bashing...

Rergard's

Inproved