Thread: Fire formed cases

Fire formed cases

Hi Guys

I have happily reloading my 303 with fire formed cases using a neck size only.

However I've now been told that I risk snapping the extractor lug off the bolt because the cases will be "too tight"

This "problem" is only evident in magazine fed rifles, in particular older enfields etc.

Has anyone heard of this, had this problem occur?

I'd sooner not go back to a full resize, but equally I don't want to risk damaging the bolt.

any thoughts or suggestions welcome

cheers

Phil
    No time like the present....

I've never heard of such a problem but provided the cases are the correct length and ammo chambers easily, I can't see how that would be any diferent from a full length size.

By the way, why do you use fire formed cases? .303 cases are plentifull and cheep.

Hi,
    I use neck sized fire formed cases in my No4 MK3 and I have never had a problem.
    In fact, I have never heard of the one you mention.
    If a case is tight it is usually because the breech pressure was too high in the first place.

The only thing you have to remember, (if you do not already know), is that cases stretch everytime they are fired.
    Watch out for a shiny ring near the head of the cartridge, it indicates that the case is getting weak and will seperate eventually.

Steve

Thumbs up

Complete ########! Neck sizing has no impact on extraction force. Besides if the extractor was that weak it would have been discovered and fixed long ago, this is a design that is over a hundred years old and been tested in two world wars and many minor ones!

Several people I know who reload for their Lee-Enfields and No.4s all neck size their cases with the Lee collet die. They get no problems whatsoever.

do you trim your cases to make sure there the right length if they get abit long that isnt going to help chambering rounds.

20 years of neck sizing for 16 Enfields and I've not broken anything yet.
    Once the cases start getting a little tight to close the bolt, I ever so slightly bump the shoulder back a little with a full length die, check the length, and trim to 2.222 if needed.
    I also do the bump regardless, for ammo I load for comps to make things a little smoother.
    15x 303s, 1x .223, 1x 7.62, 1x .308, 8x .22s, 1x7.5, 1x30-06, 2x.357, 1x45-110, 1x45acp, 2x32-20, 1x.50, 2x12bore, 1x 357lbr, 1x .22 lbp and some others... 42 currently :-)

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Whoever told you about the extractor snapping/chipping is confusing handloading with loading by hand. If you use your Enfield as a single shot a lot without using the magazine it can lead to extractor damage. Necksized cases can't and don't cause damage to extractors.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

303 reloading

Thanks guys

I'm re-assured enough to carry-on with a neck size and case length check/trim

regards

Phil
    No time like the present....