Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hft

Hft

Can someone tell me, if right or wrong, was HFT not meant to have been born from hunters, wanting to simulate field craft in a way of a sport and that the hunters did not like all the bling Knob twiddling etc in FT and using hunting rigs that you would if out hunting. Why is it then that in all the magazines they show more and more blingy equipment Daystate grand prixs in bright blue laminate stocks EV2s Dominators etc etc. As no hardened hunter would use a blue fancy stock whilst hunting . Seems that its no different to FT other than a few rule changes and down to how much money you throw at it. To be up at the top with the big boys, except you get dirty prone in the mud in HFT. This is an observation nothing else as i do not want to get in to the which is better FT or HFT its been done before to death.

You're not allowed to adjust the scope in HFT, so this somewhat reduces the "bling knob twiddling". You can't stop people from bringing shiny airguns on the course, it's a pity there is no camo test . Personally, I'd like to see the organizers encourage .22 participation a bit more.

Magazines will always show the bling. I think we all like to see it, but as you say, impractical for hunting purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbhole View Post
    Can someone tell me, if right or wrong, was HFT not meant to have been born from hunters, wanting to simulate field craft in a way of a sport and that the hunters did not like all the bling Knob twiddling etc in FT and using hunting rigs that you would if out hunting. Why is it then that in all the magazines they show more and more blingy equipment Daystate grand prixs in bright blue laminate stocks EV2s Dominators etc etc. As no hardened hunter would use a blue fancy stock whilst hunting . Seems that its no different to FT other than a few rule changes and down to how much money you throw at it. To be up at the top with the big boys, except you get dirty prone in the mud in HFT. This is an observation nothing else as i do not want to get in to the which is better FT or HFT its been done before to death.
    It's human nature I'm afraid, HFT & FT were both started as competitions based loosly around Hunting type scenarios but things change as the competitors want better kit that might get them a few more targets.

You'll find that HFT will progress along this path quicker that FT did as the kit is already there for the HFT shooter whereas a lot of the FT kit was developed along with & as a result of FT.

You will always get shooters who throw money at a sport, quite often it makes none or very little difference to their shooting. This years WHFTA World Champion beat two Walther shooters in a shoot off using an S400

bearing in mind that FT has more defined positions wheras HFT, the course setter can be quite inventive in positions he forces you to adopt, a big heavy FT rig is not an advantage.

I have shot a 75x80 with a borrowed club S200 with the carpest trigger you could not wish to meet.

79x80 with a std Hw100 with a venom cylinder rather than the steel.

If there is any real advantage in FT rigs in HFT, it is probably quality of build stands a better chance of being right out of the box and the quality of the engineering will be better - typically really showing itself in the trigger dept.

I sarted in FT with a Steyr LG100 and a big heavy scope. I tried it for HFT with a smaller scope but I just found it too bulky and heavy. I hated using it for HFT.

The top shooters will get top scores irrespective of what you shove in their hands.

An indiferent shot will not make any ground by spending stupid money on kit.

But who are we to say what you can and cannot
    spend your money on so long as you play by the rules. Rules can be changed to respond to developments if it is felt that the development is contrary to the spirit of the competition.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I know of at least two lads on the circuit (one with a Walther, one a custom Wolf) that take there fancy stocks hunting (and I'm sure there are many more), because they are the best guns in the armoury dependant on the job at hand

HFT was first conceived back in the early 90's in the south by a club called the "Nomads" who devised it as fun release from the rigours of FT. I believe it was put on as a Christmas shoot with very few rules but the basics were there. no fiddling or twiddling, no sitting (to distinguish it from FT) and touching the post.

IIRC it was never meant to simulate hunting per se but the targets naturally ended up being placed in challenging "real life" positions.

It has been shoot in the CSFTA region every year since then and was taken national by Pete and the crew as UKAHFT with additional rules added through the years.

Hope that helps.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

the same reasons that some people buy a rolls royce and others buy a vauxhall astra because they can afford to do so it does'nt mean they are better drivers but that they can afford to have what they want and the manufactureres of anything will glean the greatest profit from the flaws in our human nature .One great thing about this country is we have the right to choice.
    Its a fact of life I dont say its right just that it is so.

Steve
    AIR ARMS PROSPORT .177 , MTC VIPER 4x16x50 :cool, HW100T.177, MTC VIPER 10x40. :cool, HW 100 FSB CARBINE .177 MTC viper 10x40 , HW 100 FSB CARBINE .22 MTC viper 10x40 , XS TH78D .22 Hawk varmint 11.

I think the UKAHFT has done more than anyone to promote target shooting for ordinary shooters, but it irritates me that you can't use the sitting position. I spent many happy hours sitting in hedges, and under trees, waiting for something to turn up. Regarding kit, I advise people to start with an S400, and a £100 scope, but as Pete says, its human nature to spend more money on gear. Another irritation was an article in AW describing the EV2 as "the perfect rifle for HFT." That may be so, but there was no mention of cheaper alternatives, and a newbie might be put off, thinking he had to spend £1500 just to get started.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

I have no problem with people using 'top end' kit for HFT. It is their money and if they wish to spend it on a sport they enjoy then they have every right to do so. And as has been said several times .. it is the shooter that matters, not just the kit.
    But I do sometimes worry about how HFT is reported in the magazines. As mentioned above, virtually all photos show the top end kit (maybe because it is weilded by the winning shooters) and I believe this compounds the thought that HFT is only for those willing and/or able to spend a lot of money on kit. In reality, of course, this is not true as can be seen at any HFT shoot where kit of all types and price ranges can be seen, along with the enjoyment of those using it.
    Maybe the mags would do HFT a great service by illustrating the variety of rifles in use at a typical HFT shoot.
    They might also like to show that HFT is truly a sport for all ages.

Cheers, Phil

Hft

Thanks guys all positive answers.

I always do HFT with a proper spring gun and fixed mag cheap scope with mil dots. I think its the best way to enjoy the sport.

You also feel great when you get a better score than someone with £1000+ kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    I think the UKAHFT has done more than anyone to promote target shooting for ordinary shooters, but it irritates me that you can't use the sitting position. I spent many happy hours sitting in hedges, and under trees, waiting for something to turn up. Regarding kit, I advise people to start with an S400, and a £100 scope, but as Pete says, its human nature to spend more money on gear. Another irritation was an article in AW describing the EV2 as "the perfect rifle for HFT." That may be so, but there was no mention of cheaper alternatives, and a newbie might be put off, thinking he had to spend £1500 just to get started.

Gus
    Hi Gus, i know that some shoots have a freestyle section and the NEFTA Hunter series has a kneeling and standing class to drag the FT lads along. I have to say that the NEFTA Hunter shoots work very well and i always have a good time and despite what some might think the HFT and FT lads and lasses get on well.

When i'm writing up the UKAHFT rounds for Airgun Sport i try to use pictures with a balanced view of who is shooting and with what. It always nice to try and show a junior knocking over targets with an S200 as it is to show a lady shooter, springer shooter and someone with a 'bling' rifle. But tha't's exactly what you'll see, even at National level.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post

Gus
    Hi Gus, I can't really see the point of UKAHFT allowing sitting shooting as it would just be short FT then, it would be like FT sticking pegs in & allowing HFT prone plus sticking more mini kills in there. Neither is going to happen & I think both sports are better for it, we both have our own identities & supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Prone Shooter View Post
    HFT was first conceived back in the early 90's in the south by a club called the "Nomads" who devised it as fun release from the rigours of FT. I believe it was put on as a Christmas shoot with very few rules but the basics were there. no fiddling or twiddling, no sitting (to distinguish it from FT) and touching the post.

IIRC it was never meant to simulate hunting per se but the targets naturally ended up being placed in challenging "real life" positions.

It has been shoot in the CSFTA region every year since then and was taken national by Pete and the crew as UKAHFT with additional rules added through the years.

Hope that helps.

Bob
    If you go back further Bob, FT started out using pretty much as HFT in the early 80's, there was as much camo in FT then than there is in UKAHFT now

The truth is mate the bling stocks look good on the page, However, I try to put normal shooters and normal guns in my articles as well.

Gary
    HFT Team England 2012 - 2013
    Incompetent writer for Airgunner
    UKAHFT, World and SiHFT Recoiling champ 2017