Thread: Why do top Olympic air pistol shooters only use Steyr, Morini or Walther?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    FWB, Hammerli etc AP are júst as good. They just lack the name, the advertising (marketing!) and sponsorship.
    Its just like AR shooting yrs back it was all FWB. But walther anschutz, etc, just as good, but dont have the name in AR.
    Allthough in smallbore, its all anschutz, but FWB etc, just as good. All same story.
    You wont see much cheapo pistols at olympics though. I yr capable of thát level of shooting you also want the best pistols. So no rohms.
    Not that Rohm etc is bad, they're fine pistols, but they lack the refinement, adjustments etc of the expensive one's.

At lower match classes it also plays a role that people tend to copy others.
    'He shoots high scores with a steyr so I múst have a steyr too'..
    And thats a pitty, cause what fits hím, might not fit yóu.
    ATB,
    yana

I started shooting with a Rohm and after 3 months bought a Steyr. The trigger on the Steyr is streets ahead of the one on the Rohm and it was worth switching just for that, but the Rohm is a good gun. However they now cost nearly £500 and for 100-200 more you can have a secondhand Steyr.

I took my Rohm to the BPC Open competition at Bisley. I was the only one in the hall shooting other than Steyr or Morini.

U.

which gun

For me the big plus with the steyr is the anti recoil weight and the smooth trigger. the gun just stays where i was pointing it if i get the trigger release right. Its just sweet to use.

I currently have an IZH 46M which I cannot out shoot yet fingers crossed I hope to get the LP10 soon enough.

Tried a Steyr at the range last week it just feels perfect and I know I cannot blame the gun for the 7's i shoot

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    The real difference in the quality guns is the trigger, and the new electronics are another step forward. Most cheap guns can be made to fit, just takes more time and effort. No gun can compensate for holding errors, inadeqate sight picture, or bad trigger technique. I average low 90's at ten metres and prefer my Steyrs for match cards but I practice at home with a FAS 604 with near enough the same results and also shoot my old FWB65 (bought new in '72 when it was state of the art) with similar results. A comparison is the Ladies world record set in the early 70's by Nina Stolyarova 391 ex 400 with a FWB65, current world record 393 set with a Steyr, the target is 0.5mm smaller, but hey no real advance.
    But, even for a lower level shooter I suspect you will be more consistant with one of the top makes. Buy the best you can afford.
    Good shooting and have fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?