Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing: the UBC's Police RIFLE Competition

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming Monkey View Post
    Fantastic idea. I really don't know anything about police pistol though so I'm assuming the rifle would be standing shots, and what's the distance to target?
    Standing shots, yes. The distance will be 6 yards, from your toes to the target.

AND, here's the scoop about our current Police Pistol matches.

We shoot monthly, commencing on the fourth Saturday of each month, and ending at 2200 UK time on the Sunday of the weekend following.

We fire 30 shots, in three distinct Stages.

Stage 1 commences with loaded pistol in hand(s). pointed down at a 45 degree angle. You have one minute to raise pistol, acquire sights, fire 6 rounds: then, with the clock still running, either reload the same magazine, or switch to a separate one (simulating using a speedloader or fresh magazine while under fire), and firing six more rounds.

Stage 2 commences same way, but you have 2 seconds to raise-acquire-fire: then 5 seconds to lower and make ready for the next shot. Repeat 6 times.

Then you reload, change targets (not required, but it makes scoring easier), and repeat for 6 more rounds,

Stage 3: identical with Stage 2, except that it's double taps - 2 rounds fired each time pistol is raised - and only 6 rounds total are fired.

Scoring is on honor system. Scores are turned in to me, NOT announced publicly. When the event closes, I announce the results.

A month is a Round. Scores are cumulated for 6 Rounds, and then the Season's results are announced. Then a new Season starts.

Rules are simple: distance is 6 yards. The only equipment required is any air pistol that can be fired 6 times quickly without having to reload: the targets, that you print out from here: and 6 yards of shooting space, with a safe backdrop.

Any questions?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

My favorite TV cop-marksman still has to be Baretta: shooting a .38 snubbie 1-handed while driving a convertible with the other hand, and picking off a sniper armed with a scoped rifle from a distance of about 100 yards.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    My favorite TV cop-marksman still has to be Baretta: shooting a .38 snubbie 1-handed while driving a convertible with the other hand, and picking off a sniper armed with a scoped rifle from a distance of about 100 yards.

Jim
    will that be the side shoot for the first month of next season?
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    they aren't real police in those vids you've been watching on the net
    Was he sniping with a pump action shotgun ? FAIL!
    TX200 MK 3 .177
    FAS 604 .177

Standing shots, yes. The distance will be 6 yards, from your toes to the target.

AND, here's the scoop about our current Police Pistol matches.

We shoot monthly, commencing on the fourth Saturday of each month, and ending at 2200 UK time on the Sunday of the weekend following.

We fire 30 shots, in three distinct Stages.

Stage 1 commences with loaded pistol in hand(s). pointed down at a 45 degree angle. You have one minute to raise pistol, acquire sights, fire 6 rounds: then, with the clock still running, either reload the same magazine, or switch to a separate one (simulating using a speedloader or fresh magazine while under fire), and firing six more rounds.

Stage 2 commences same way, but you have 2 seconds to raise-acquire-fire: then 5 seconds to lower and make ready for the next shot. Repeat 6 times.

Then you reload, change targets (not required, but it makes scoring easier), and repeat for 6 more rounds,

Stage 3: identical with Stage 2, except that it's double taps - 2 rounds fired each time pistol is raised - and only 6 rounds total are fired.

Scoring is on honor system. Scores are turned in to me, NOT announced publicly. When the event closes, I announce the results.

A month is a Round. Scores are cumulated for 6 Rounds, and then the Season's results are announced. Then a new Season starts.

Rules are simple: distance is 6 yards. The only equipment required is any air pistol that can be fired 6 times quickly without having to reload: the targets, that you print out from here: and 6 yards of shooting space, with a safe backdrop.

Any questions?

Jim
    Thanks Jim

Sounds like fun...need a co2 pistol now then

like the idea of 10m target shooting at the moment...maybe a co2 pistol when I have some money :P
    TX200 MK 3 .177
    FAS 604 .177

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming Monkey View Post
    Thanks Jim

Sounds like fun...need a co2 pistol now then

like the idea of 10m target shooting at the moment...maybe a co2 pistol when I have some money :P
    The UBC has 10 meter bullseye comps, too. Also 6 yard bullseye comps. Also vintage and plinking rifles, for 6 yards open sights and 10 meters optical sights.

The UBC's got it all!

(OK, I'm lying: we DON'T have dues, range fees, trips to the range, need for expensive equipment....

Jim

will that be the side shoot for the first month of next season?
    It will be, Sol: but you'll be the only entrant. And I know that you'd do well!

Jim

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    It will be, Sol: but you'll be the only entrant. And I know that you'd do well!

Jim
    i ran out of bullets on my m4 the other day and i was pined down by a sniper, so i switched to my revolver stood up and head shotted him from the opposite side of the map(i could only see his head).

that is just a "video game" though
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

i ran out of bullets on my m4 the other day and i was pined down by a sniper, so i switched to my revolver stood up and head shotted him from the opposite side of the map(i could only see his head).

that is just a "video game" though
    Ah, these things they play with these days...

Jim

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Ah, these things they play with these days...

Jim
    In my day it was "hoop & stick"
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post
    In my day it was "hoop & stick"
    I had a different toy pistol for each TV show!

Let's see...I had my pirate's gun (flintlock), my cowboy's gun (Colt .45 Peacemaker), my soldier's gun (Colt .45 1911), my detective's gun (.38 snubbie), my spaceman's gun (raygun)...

Jim

I had a different toy pistol for each TV show!

Let's see...I had my pirate's gun (flintlock), my cowboy's gun (Colt .45 Peacemaker), my soldier's gun (Colt .45 1911), my detective's gun (.38 snubbie), my spaceman's gun (raygun)...

Jim
    Oh those were the days
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Ooh let me see. A pair of lone star break action cap pistols, small size. A large size Peacemaker in chrome with removable "shells", a man from Uncle P38 with plastic push on silencer, oh and an Airfix FN rifle (SLR) which fired real plastic bullets with a spring, they just managed to cross the room.
    My favourite was a miniature "revolver" with swing out cylinder that took a single bullet that you could load with a cap and dig into a potato and fire it out the front like a spud gun, also made by lone star I think.
    All I have left from those days is this. again made by lone star
    they certainly had the UK market sewn up.

I always hankered after a Johnny 7 OMA
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    Ooh let me see. A pair of lone star break action cap pistols, small size. A large size Peacemaker in chrome with removable "shells", a man from Uncle P38 with plastic push on silencer, oh and an Airfix FN rifle (SLR) which fired real plastic bullets with a spring, they just managed to cross the room.
    My favourite was a miniature "revolver" with swing out cylinder that took a single bullet that you could load with a cap and dig into a potato and fire it out the front like a spud gun, also made by lone star I think.
    All I have left from those days is this. again made by lone star

And see, despite this childhood weapons fixation, you turned out OK too: just like me.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    My favourite was a miniature "revolver" with swing out cylinder that took a single bullet that you could load with a cap and dig into a potato and fire it out the front like a spud gun, also made by lone star I think.All I have left from those days is this. again made by lone star

It was made by Lone Star, mine was black with white handles. It was called "The Gambler"
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55