Thread: Just for you to see.

Just for you to see.

Hi all, I have just renovated this 1936 BSA break barrel. It's not perfect but now 200% better than when I received it. Now I just need the little wood plate for the butt.
    Regards Marsh.
    http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5...lprewar001.jpg
    Good deals with Eddiekneejerk, scirroco,Garvin, brownie,NeilLedger,NortonAMC,MadMike,Lodmoor,Jonny Mark,ogilkes,brdrew,averageplinker,canman,Pagoda1, boxman,beagle,clueless,RobMac,RobM,DaveJW,leroy02, JerryCornelius,jarrod,Alistair,jonno1972,Emsill and Stuart.

hi marsh nice job
    rgds scirroco

Hi Scirroco, Have you not got any nice old BSAs to sell? I will be down your way in Aug.
    Regards Marsh.
    Good deals with Eddiekneejerk, scirroco,Garvin, brownie,NeilLedger,NortonAMC,MadMike,Lodmoor,Jonny Mark,ogilkes,brdrew,averageplinker,canman,Pagoda1, boxman,beagle,clueless,RobMac,RobM,DaveJW,leroy02, JerryCornelius,jarrod,Alistair,jonno1972,Emsill and Stuart.

hi marsh,will have a trawl through the cabinets to see whats left
    rgds scirroco

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36356274@N03/4735798489/

bsa brake barrel

Hi Marsh,thats a very nice job you have done on the BSA,I have one myself that needs attention do you know where I can a leather washer and spring for it,or are they the same size as the 177 underleavers listed at Chambers.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Lovely work there Mr Marsh, and cheers for sharing the pix . BBS member Binners may be able to help with the butt cap, as (unless I'm having a senior moment), I seem to recall that he knows a bod who makes them ???

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Stunning job you have achieved

hi marsh, nice job you have done there,very pretty,just done one of these myself.got my bits from john knibbs ,piston washer was OK but he sent me a horrible titan mainspring for it which fitted but had about 3" of preload and gun was hard to cock,lopped 3 coils off it in the end ,shoots nice and sweet now..cheers..greasemonkey
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Marsh........another one brought back to the land of the living....well done!

On the subject of the Stock bolt inspection trap....I bought a blank from mr Knibbs a couple of years ago....It came as an oversized flat plain blank of wood, with two holes for screws in about the correct place....At the factory originally, these were fitted plain, then the rear of the stock including the grooves, was machined as one, that is why an original one that has never been removed is such a super fit...you can spot in an instant when one has been replaced, unless someone has been very careful, as the lines are always slightly wrong!

I have a trashed, wormy stock from that period, and will happily bandsaw you a slice off (in a clear area!)....and then you can make your own....the shape and hole location is easy, it is being patient when final shaping that will make the job (if you look at your stock you will see the plug needs to be convex in section to match the rest)....I normally start (with the cap blank screwed in place) with a hacksaw blade, using the original grooves as a guide, then finish with a tapered swiss file....once the groves are in, I sand the profile to match the rest of the wood....this part of the stock is normally darker than the rest through use, so a little stain over the lot helps to blend it in

One other thing....originally there was a diaphragm spring under the plug....a piece of very thin spring steel the same shape as the plug, with holes to match, but set in a curve ...ie. banana shaped top to bottom....this has the effect of pushing against the plug, so when you remove the plug, it pushes it out as it is a close fit....these are often missing with the result that you see guns with evidence of screwdrivers etc. having been used to prise out the plug

Pm me with your postal addy (I am always deleting stuff I should save) and I will send you some wood (it actually is from a model L of 1928)

ATB, Ed

Hi,
    Marsh,What a super job...Another one bought back from the brink...

Regard's

Inproved

Cool

Hello Marsh

A fantastic job there mate

It warms the cockles when one is saved from the scrapheap

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hi peter.H, The leather washer and mainspring on my gun was Ok. But as said in this thread John Knibbs for the washer. I don't know who is the best for a mainspring. One of the gang might help with some info on a good spring for the pre war BSA break barrel.
    Regards Marsh.

Nice

Hi. Lovely job. If it was mine I would take it to bed with me.
    Sad I know.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Hi Marsh,
    Just a thought on the spring I have not long put one of Knibbey's flat sping's in an A Series now it shooting like a peach...Why not try one of these..??

Regard's

Inproved

edbear2 Guest
    Unless I am mad, I can't see a break-action / break down listed at T W Chambers spares site..as you may know, only the Juvenile and your gun (in the prewar styles) share a 1 1/8 diameter cylinder....Have you measured a Cadet Major?....this may be a contender as a replacement. I can recommend Chambers and, with reservations, (some of his springs are tooooo looooong) John Knibbs.....I would, if dealing with the latter, measure your spring (and count the coils) and check what you will be getting first.....fair enough, you can clip and square up a too long replacement, but it is always nice just to drop one in without having to spend time sorting it out first.