Thread: HW80 Problem

HW80 Problem

I was using my .177 MK1 80 at the weekend and I do marvel at what an incredible rifle it is, but do you like me feel that because of the 12ftlbs limit we don't get the full 80 experience?

Yes. Thats why I favour the HW95 which can quite easily obtain the legal limit without any loss of accuracy but with a great saving in weight.
    The '80 is best in F.A.C.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hi,

I have a first model HW80 IN .177 It was a restoration project. When I striped it down to renew the spring etc..I was amazed to find besides a clean and some new grease on the spring it did not require anything else..I reassembled it..and shot it ..It shot very very well and was doing about 10.5 over the crono with Air Arms 4.52 8.9grn and is accurate..Why go to FAC Levels...????

Regard's

Inproved

I must admit, I prefer the idea of a big understressed HW80 rather than a gun which may be pushing its own limit.

A bit like a lazy 5.7 litre V8 versus a turbocharged 2 litre putting out the same power.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

A local gunsmith told me they are only 'ticking over' at
    uk levels,and that's why they last for many many years.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Yes. Thats why I favour the HW95 which can quite easily obtain the legal limit without any loss of accuracy but with a great saving in weight.
    The '80 is best in F.A.C.

ATB
    Ian
    Totally agree! I started using my 85k after my 80k for years and was pleased with the difference. Since testing out the 95 last year (4 now!) to see if was a worthy successor to the 85; I'm pleased to say it is! The 85 and 95 are also easily capably of well over the limit power levels, so they too are ticking over (or at worst coasting!).

If you can handle the weight, the 80 is a super piece of engineering and a joy to shoot even at 11 fps or so!!

The same sort of argument applies to the great Brum Webleys, Tomahawk and Longbow since they sort of mirror the HWs mentioned.

Whatever the gun is; if you like it; use it and enjoy the experience, that's what it's all about!!

ATVB all
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

I once acquired an old 80 that was extremely harsh to shoot and accuracy was non existant
    I took it to the club where i used to shoot and put it through the club chrono...
    It was doing 14.5 ft/lbs

I was told in no uncertain terms to get it into my car and away from the club...

Once i got home i stripped it down, there was a square section spring inside but there were also three or four washers dropped into the piston, grease was in abundance..

After removing the washers, de-greasing and replacing with new grease (sparingly), i reassembled the rifle- low and behold, a fly's nadgers at twenty yards wasn't a problem (well, you get my drift )

The firing cycle lovely, it was a fantastic transformation

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

these are superb rifles john if tuned correctly.....pleased for you mate