Thread: Valuing Your Collection

Valuing Your Collection

Here's another new boy joining the clan.
    I've collected airguns for the past 30 years, more avidly in the 1970s/80s when they were cheap. Left it alone for a while to do the raise a family bit.
    I relied on Dennis Hillers publications for info and valuations and I'm assuming these books ceased a while back.

So I ask you all, is there a modern equivalent?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi Evolution, and welcome to the BBS -- and the best bit, this 'ere 'Collectors Corner' (best bit by a country mile ). In truth, there is nothing better for pricing things imho than forum searches, or asking in here, as most have a good and calculated price range, for most collectable air guns -- or at least a valued opinion. Hope this (sort of) helps, and once again, welcome.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Valuations

Hi Evolution and welcome
    I am fairly new here myself and dont consider myself to be qualified to offer valuations on much stuff which is posted,,one thing you can be sure of the guys in this section will definitely give an up to date honest opinion and valuation even if its something they are thinking they might like to buy were the gun advertised in that way,,forum rules are adhered to like glue(partly because of Gareths eagle eye) it amazing some of the fun which can be gained from a post about older and collectible airguns and the stuff which goes with them so I hope you glean as much enjoyment as I do being here
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    I relied on Dennis Hillers publications for info and valuations and I'm assuming these books ceased a while back.

So I ask you all, is there a modern equivalent?
    Welcome aboard.

Dennis books are now well out of date for valuations. I recommend The Blue Book Of Airguns as a good read with prices in $

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Welcome aboard.

Dennis books are now well out of date for valuations. I recommend The Blue Book Of Airguns as a good read with prices in $

ATB
    Ian
    But treat the prices in it with caution.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Forums like this as the books aren't quite all there and have many an error. Also it really depends on what's in fashion and the other big one is the credit crunch or not. All the old valuation variables still remain: condition, rarity and whose out there needing one. Prices have moved along fairly sedately with only very rare item making real premiums. Price is very sensitive and often down to the nearest tenner but get it right and there is a strong market for nearly every rifle... even the tat. Last point, either they fly off the shelf or take a good few weeks... give it time; many of my sales have happened weeks later and for the asking price.
    Just have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    But treat the prices in it with caution.
    The price, of course, depends if your buying or selling.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Actually a lot of Dennis's valuations hold true today - but a lot don't!

I have found that, on here, people try to be honest - I know I do.

One small point - if you want a valuation from here then post some clear pictures - descriptions such as "excellent" can be open to misinterpretation.

Go on then - show us what you've got

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    The price, of course, depends if your buying or selling.

ATB
    Ian
    Very true Ian. In Beeman's case he tries to work out what price a buyer would pluck from thin air and what price a seller would pluck from thin air and then takes an average of the two.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks to All

Just a quick thank you to all you guys that have responded to my original question.
    I have to consider downsizing my collection, but what a dilemma, to decide which ones you keep.

I've had a good look through many of the threads on the site and have found lots of them very useful.

Maybe I should upsize my house!

Well done to the organizers of this site for producing an extremely useful and sensibly policed marvel.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Well done to the organizers of this site for producing an extremely useful and sensibly policed marvel.
    ... Thank you. I'll pass your comments on to the rest of the mod team, too.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.