Thread: Primer bulged

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    Heres 2 primers -
    http://www.davederrick.aquiss.com/images/Primers.jpg
    I thought the one on the left was OK, but now its magnified it does look like cratering around the firing pin. The one on the right is one of the ones I thought looked blown out. Think I'll step the load down a bit.
    But did you notice the bulging before you decapped them ?

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    But did you notice the bulging before you decapped them ?

No, but I wasn't looking - only after I decapped them. After I spotted it, I did look at the remaining rounds before decapping & didn't see any more that looked wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    Something simple like a slightly oversize bullet or a tight crimp can cause the pressures to go up. Mixing cases can have the same effect because the internal volumes vary due to the thickness of the brass.
    All the same cases, perhaps I'll go for a lighter crimp as well as stepping the load down.

Cheers guys.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

I personally think that decapping caused the bulge

Carry on loading as you are now & check the next batch of empty cases prior to decapping (or when you are shooting) ..

I shoot 357 Mag using Accurate No 5 in a Marlin at max load & I do not get any sign of bulging

BUT - I can show you loads of primers that look like yours after decapping !

Cheers

Roy

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Thanks Roy.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

looks this way....would be better if you took a pic whilst still in the case.....looks like it was abit tight in the hole and required a bit more ooommmmph to decap
    Cheers