Thread: Question for glasses wearers...

Question Question for glasses wearers...

I've just been for an eye test for the first time in 10 years and have been measured thus ->

Right Eye: +1.25/-0.50/10.0
    Left Eye: +0.50/-0.25/160.0

Prism/Reading Add/Int Add are all 0

The optician said my eye sight was good, but could suffer from eye strain as my right eye wasn't as good as my left. Stands to reason as I'm a right handed shooter so who would expect anything else. Driving long distances can give me a headache, hence reason for visit..she advises using glasses for driving.

So my question is - is that a measurement that you would correct for Smallbore shooting, or not bother ? Optician wasn't up on shooting and didn't really know.

Cheers All.

So my question is - is that a measurement that you would correct for Smallbore shooting, or not bother ?
    In a word, yes. You display a small amount of astigmatism and that should always be taken out. Stands to reason really, circular foresight and aiming mark. Very roughly speaking a correction for your refractive error would for shooting purposes would normally mean a lens that was +0.5-+1.0 above your prescription. So in your case this might mean a shooting lens:

Right Eye: +1.75/-0.50/10.0 (assuming a +0.5 correction)

However having said all that, it really is necessary to consult an optician who understands the needs of shooters.

Hope that this helps,

Rutty

Article here might be of interest

http://www.tenring.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36

You áre right eye dominant?

Rutty is right about astigmatism.
    The further deviation of +1.25 isnt thát bad, (I have 2.5!) but it cóuld bother you with shooting.
    Dóes it give you any problems with shooting? Double vision, blurry vision, sights not clear..
    If the answer is yés, than shooting glasses would be nice.
    If you are in a country where its allowed; some countries allow diopter adapters to correct a bit of deviation. Not really correct, but 0.5 mag I believe. Depends on yr age as well I believe, its for seniorclasses only iirc..
    ATB,
    yana

Thanks for the info & link guys, much appreciated...

I'm left eye dominant but right handed, clays are safe in the skies with me around. The 25 yard target 10 diagram always starts out clear, but ends up being blurry by the end of it!

So it looks like a lens of some kind might be in order.

Is it necessary to get shooting glasses then, or is a lens in the rear sight just as good ? For astigmatism obviously the lens has to be correctly positioned.... just seems less hassle to get it into the sight if possible.

Talking Glasses-Take a Peek!

http://www.hansenseagleeye.com/
    http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html

The first site is for custom glasses for combat pistol and rifle. His stuff is great. Email him with a prescription and he might ship glasses across the pond to ya. He does provide a small discount to LEOs and military. He is retired military and a former competition shooter. I have used his glasses for years and I've sent dozens to him who are full blown competition shooters. The second site is a wealth of info on the eyes from a eye doc who shoots competitively. You can try and email him and see if he can give ya a heads up on what to look for in specs and he may even know some opto guys in your neck of the woods.

Smile Hypermetropia?

Well thanks for ruining my day guys!

at +5.5 and +6.0 I am surprised I can see the club let alone the sights,

still on the plus side the thicknes of my contacts means I wont be able to get too close to the rear sight anyway

actually I have to use a pair of knoblochs with a +1.5 lens as well as wearing contacts in order to be able to focus on the sights, this has the added advantage of not allowing me to focus on the target at all its just a wee black blob for me.
    Still after 8 weeks of 10m pistol i have progressed from a ten shot average of 70 to 77 so things are improving, in fact last night they were all in the black, ( how do I remove that force field round the ten spot?) A couple of large vodkas before i start will stop the shaking and I will be away to the Limpicks hic! and for thos PC guys that was a joke....

Laser eye correction solved my problems, will discuss solution if required? Email phone number to discuss. For the record I am now 62 with good eyesight.