Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch Hw35 date please

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Weihrauch Hw35 date please

finally acquired a rough Hw35 serial no 26260. Can anybody date it for me please? I got this for not much money and I thought it might be a bit of a bad job. not stripped it yet but the rear stock screw was a countersunk allen headed self tapper and I could not shift the front screw. I had a hot bar on it and it scill wouldn,t loosen off. drilled the head to get it out of the stock but the screw body is still firmly stuck on the action. I know the engineeres on here woud probably weld a nut to the shank but it looks like I will have to try a set of mole grips or more likely try to drill it out and retap-------------------is it 6mm metric? Other joy on it is the rear sight screw looks like it has had a stud put in and a brass nut either side of the sight plate to adjust the elevation. I holpe its not been touched when I open it up.
    I suppose I could always use it as a fence post or swap it for a Relum?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Ha ha. Hi Guy. To help date it, does it have a safety? If so, is it a double sided, or single sided safety? If a single sided safety, does it have an HW Rekord trigger or not? Information on all these characteristics will help us date it.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hi

My old 35e (no safety) is serial# 423452 and was confirmed by HW as having left the factory in 1972..

Pic1

Ready for re-blueing..
    Pic2

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    finally acquired a rough Hw35 serial no 26260. Can anybody date it for me please? I got this for not much money and I thought it might be a bit of a bad job. not stripped it yet but the rear stock screw was a countersunk allen headed self tapper and I could not shift the front screw. I had a hot bar on it and it scill wouldn,t loosen off. drilled the head to get it out of the stock but the screw body is still firmly stuck on the action. I know the engineeres on here woud probably weld a nut to the shank but it looks like I will have to try a set of mole grips or more likely try to drill it out and retap-------------------is it 6mm metric? Other joy on it is the rear sight screw looks like it has had a stud put in and a brass nut either side of the sight plate to adjust the elevation. I holpe its not been touched when I open it up.
    I suppose I could always use it as a fence post or swap it for a Relum?
    If that is the actual five-digit serial number I would expect it to have a pre-Rekord trigger (or possibly a Rekord that has been retro-fitted into an earlier trigger block).

The first questions I would ask are does the rear of the trigger block have a knurled ring 4 or 5mm deep? Is the full serial number stamped on the underside of the breech block? Does it have a front sight with a stepped ramp and a post held in with a small screw just above the muzzle?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hw35

I am with Garvin on this one. If thats the full serial number then it's a very early 35.

Stock screws on 35's are the rare M7 thread from memory.

Weihrauch Whoops!

That no was off the breech block but the cylinder and trigger block have 126260 stamped on them. The guide apperars to be integral with the block. The block has a groove close to the rear but is not knurled at all. There appears to be no safety on the gun but this could have been removed. Front of barrel is grooved to take the foresight which has an element in it which could be changed.
    Does anybody know if you can get the bit the front stock screw goes into? I see a no for it on the chambers site.
    This gun is hammered with grease and screws appear to have been studlocked or the wrong screw fitted. At least the leather piston washer appears in good nick but I expect it will diesel for a while when the gun is back together. Thanks
    I managed to get the bit of stock screw out of that retaining nut----whoopee
    Last edited by ggggr; 12-07-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: update
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

The guide apperars to be integral with the block.

There appears to be no safety on the gun but this could have been removed.

Does anybody know if you can get the bit the front stock screw goes into? I see a no for it on the chambers site.

A fixedguide is a popular after market tunning modification.

The safety button may have been removed but there could be a hole
    remaining or, in the case of the later '35s, two holes.

The front stock screw retaining bracket is integral (welded) to the cylinder.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Weihrauch

There doen,t appear to be anywhere far a safety to go. I dont even know whether it should be at the side or the back. The front stock bolt nut was not welded to the cylinder but a tight fit in the bracket that the cocking arm passes through. put the action back together with a better old spring but am waiting for the barrel shims and stock bolts to arrive.

With a 126xxx serial no. I think it probably dates from the early to mid-'60s. I'm not sure when safety catches were first brought in but I'm guessing it was after this date.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    With a 126xxx serial no. I think it probably dates from the early to mid-'60s. I'm not sure when safety catches were first brought in but I'm guessing it was after this date.

Hi Garvin

I seem to recall that the safety catches first appeared in '76....

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hw35

I'd put a rifle with a serial number 126xxx around the early sixties, the 35 didn't get a safety until 76/77 about serial no 600xxx.

Your trigger mech will probably have 'laminated' sear made from several layers of steel rather than the later single piece sear.

There doen,t appear to be anywhere far a safety to go. I dont even know whether it should be at the side or the back.
    THIS - red button top right shows you were the safety catch would be if it had one.

ATB
    Ian

Hi fellas

not sure if this will help but i have a non safety hw 35

serial No 213199 confirmed by weihrauch as 1960

cheers

ells

Weihrauch.

Thanks lads ----no safety and it sear is laminated I think (must check). Waiting for bits to finish off. Thank you all for your help. IJ, how about you putting a strip up for the "idiots guide"?

Thanks lads ----no safety and it sear is laminated I think (must check). Waiting for bits to finish off. Thank you all for your help. IJ, how about you putting a strip up for the "idiots guide"?
    Do whatever you feel suitable with THIS (HW35) and THIS (FWB Sport)

HTH
    Ian