Thread: Large calibre PCPs

Platinum Guest

Large calibre PCPs

Does anyone know a FAC holder with a PCP larger than .25? Does anyone know the police attitude to large calibre air rifles?

I'm new back to air rifles and I see Stalker Rifles makes some models in larger calibres. Are these for export only?

Also, I believe Johhn Bowkett has made large calibres. Does he still do so? Does he sell off the prototypes he used to write about in one of the airgun magazines some years ago?

I talked to my county firearms dept. and they said they only allow .25 up to 30 ft lbs. As far as I know, there is nothing in the law to prohibit large calibre air rifles as long as they're on certificate.

I'd be interested in anyone's observations, or experience.

(PLATINUM) Barry

Hi Barry

I'm in Notts & have a 12/250 wound up to 40ft/lb. When they originally put a limit on the output it came back 30ft/lb but a quick phone call & they agreed to put the certificate up to 40 due to the heavier pellet.

Gran.

Mohawk Guest

Exclamation

Hi Barry,

I could be wrong here, wouldn't be the first time but !

I believe the FLO's view FAC air rifles as being LESS powerful than .22 rimfire !
    As I understand it, all land for rimmies upwards has to be approved for use by the FLO, where as in general no restrictions are placed on FAC air rifle use. One of the main reasons I've heard on here for owning one.

The average .22 rimmie spits out a 40grn slug at more than 1200fps giving over 120ft/lb, subs are obviously less powerful, but still usually close to the 100ft/lb mark.

.22 FAC airguns in the 40-60ft/lb range are OK, but .25 is more efficient with the air (as are even larger bores) & could get close to rimmie type outputs without to much effort. I guess this is why the FLO's try to keep its power down.

I've never heard anyone with .22 FAC air rifle say they had the power restricted on ticket. The reality here I guess is that you don't see many putting out more than 50ft/lbs, so the FLO's don't worry !

Now I've opened the can, wait for the worms

Chris W.

Have a scan round the US air gun sites (I'd give you a link but with my memory ...... Now what was I writing about ?????? Oh, right!).
    I've seen them quoting 200 ft/lbs and over for .50 calibre air rifles for boar hunting
    "I would laud the day when there is a rifle in every cottage in England." Robert Arthur Talbot Gascoyne-Cecil.Your 'local' hospice needs your charity . Please give until it hurts..I made this

VarminterUSA Guest
    One of the best known large bore airgun-smiths/artist is Gary barnes. he build everything from the pretty normal looking to the outright bizarre. On some of his high powered creation, about 500ft-lbs is norm. Here is the link to his site in the states
    http://www.glbarnes.com/

Stuart

toxophilus Guest
    Have a search on google for Quackenbush rifles. .50 caliber anyone?

If I was standing in front of a 400+lb Wild Boar I would be holding a rifle considerably more powerful than any air rifle no matter what calibre

Around 3000ftlb would be more like it

baz

Platinum Guest
    Thanks everyone for your replies and opinions.

I have an open certificate and a few hundred acres to shoot on. Do you think I could persuade a licensing officer that I need a .30 calibre PCP?! I've read somewhere this is a very efficient calibre in an air rifle.

Barry

Rumplestiltskin Guest

Hi

In reply to Mohawk regarding the output my shooting partner's ticket is restricted to 30ft/lb & he shoots a Rapid .22. The original FAC had no restriction but they asked us to return them after a few months & placed the power allowances on them.
    Their reason was that most of the local farms we shoot have footpaths criss-crossing them and they were worried about the distance FAC pellets would carry ??

Gran.