Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammerli AR20FT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hammerli AR20FT

Picked up my hammerli ar20ft today from sportsman exeter. What can i say, to start with it has a 300bar fill so loads of shots. I fitted a bsa 10-50x60 no problems at as scope rail included. Power was right on the money 11.7 ft/lbs with jsb 8.44. Trigger very crisp at the let off point but i have not fine tuned yet.
    Stock more or less like the steyr but not quite so much adjustments but very good. To shoot if i shut my eyes i would think i was shooting my lg110 very quick action.( ok missed again i know )

the only down side i can see from my view is the ambi cocking set up is a little stiff but im sure it will get better.
    Constant on chrono over 40 shots 3-5 ft/s nothing.

I would rate this rifle taking in consideration the price £644 as 95/100 maybe more at this moment..will the rating stay there who knows.

What can you get regged by walther and their barrel for the money?

Regards JIMMER

Big test saturday at e.d.f.t.c ALSO IF YOU WANT A GO AT I'LL BE AT GP7

Mmmm got my eye on one of these so thanks for your first impressions .

Certainly look the part don't they although I would have to change the plastic furniture to a nice bit of laminate for starters .

atvb

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

"IF YOU WANT A GO AT I'LL BE AT GP7 "

So.... 49 ex 50 at East Devon, Jimmer..!

gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Yes please I would like to try it out and I will bring my own toolkit to convert it to left hand.

Ha ha

jimmer

I'm the importer of these rifles into South Africa, and also received the first one last week.

I would agree with all that JIMMER said - cocking lever very stiff still, but the ons I handled at the IWA show in Germany in March, had been used a bit, and was very easy to cock, so I'm sure with time it will get a little smoother.

One thing to remember though, this is an ENTRY-LEVEL rifle and is not supposed to compete head-on with the Walther Dominators, Steyr LG110's, EV2's and GP's.

It was designed for starters up to "mid-level" shooters. At the price, it's really well placed and affordable option to get into the sport.

Cheers

Robbie
    Steyr LG110FT & March 8-80x56 IR

Quote Originally Posted by jimmer View Post
    Picked up my hammerli ar20ft today
    heya, any update on this rifle ? Any pix of it an action ? Looks like the entry level FT rifle I was looking for.

Just so that everyone knows, Jimmer is a mate of mine and my earlier posts were with tongue firmly in cheek.

He let me put a few shots through his gun on Tuesday; it's very dead in operation. It felt like a Steyr, more than anything else.

His is of course brand new and still tight; the cocking action needs a positive movement and I was a bit too girlie to start with. There is a dual sided pull-back bolt similar to the Pro-T and that makes it ambi. The release catch is between the two lugs of the bolt handle, so that makes it even more ambi.

I found the trigger weight considerably more than I was expecting but no doubt that can be adjusted.

The gun does have some plastic parts but overall it's no lightweight.

Hammerli

Got to hold one on sunday but it had no scope fitted so no chance to try it, but it certainly look the part !!!
    I would have to change the plastic bits for a nice bit of wood !!!
    And if it shoots as good as it looks at that price LOOK OUT STEYR !!!!

Steve

P S all the shops local who got some in sold them the same day !!

Hammerli ar20

Got to hold one on sunday, but it had no scope mounts so didn't get to have a go with it.
    First impression, a little nose heavy,cocking a little stiff and should have gone the extra mile with the stock !!!
    Still, change the plastic for some nice walnut and it is a VERY well priced gun!!!!

Will wait for a few more impressions from other people and try to have a go with one myself before cracking open the piggy bank !!!

Steve

I posted this on the South African forum on Saturday... So here it is again. Just my own impressions.

I received the first HAMMERLI AR20FT rifle in South Africa in the past few days.

I didn't have a 10-50x scope to mount on it, so put an MTC Viper 8-32x56 scope on the rifle, and took it to the AGF club shoot today.

I zeroed the rifle at 45 meters, and after our club shoot, set about seeing what this Hammerli was capable of.

First of all, it's aimed as an entry- to mid-level rifle and costs roughly what an Air Arms S410 FAC costs.

For this you get the following:

Hammerli AR20FT rifle comes from the factory with the following:

- Walther Regulator
    - Walther fully adjustable match trigger
    - Walther 300 Bar steel cylinder
    - Lothar Walther MATCH barrel
    - Aluminium frame
    - ABS (hard resin) butt, (height adjustable) hamster and adjustable cheekpiece (with adjustable/removable weights)
    - Aluminium scope rail (much like the Steyr Rail)
    - Accessory rail built in

Zeroing the scope at 45 meters, I put the rifle in a rest, and shot 5 shots though a chronograph, and the shots string was 785, 783, 786, 785, 787 fps - very consistent - only a 4 fps spread.

I shot 14 shots in quite a heavy breeze at the target 45 meters away, and ALL 14 shots landed inside a 20mm circle.

I then shot another 5 shots (in the same wind), and the 5 shots were inside an 8mm circle. The 5 shots made ONE HOLE with an outer diameter of 8mm!!!! That's 8mm - 4.5mm leaving a 3.5mm centre to centre group at 45 meters (50 yards). WOW!!

The amazing thing is, this rifle is more accurate at 45m in the wind than my EV II, my Daystate GP I, my Steyr, Walther and Anschutz rifles.

I could not believe my eyes. Such a small grouping in that wind...

Anyway, I need to adjust the trigger a bit, as it's a bit heavier than my other rifles. The nice thing (although heavy for a racegun) is that the trigger breaks very crisply.

People that don't like the back part of the stock (the ABS plastic part), could very easily have a wooden or laminate section made.

Out of the box, this is THE most accurate rifle over 45m I have ever shot - PERIOD!!

Robbie

Hammerli

Thanks to GLOBALSTAR66 for your info, looks like a trip to my local gun shop this weekend is on the cards !!
    Hope he's got one in !!

Steve

No worries Steve.

It's a really nice little rifle.

Collected my one last Saturday, popped down the club last night, and I'm very impressed with it Very comfortable to hold, accurate, and looks great too

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    It's the greatest and bestest thing ever, certain to win the Worlds in Hungary. Umerex make much better guns than anyone else and the visionaries that bought them should make the honours list.

Whether my observation is nice or not is irrelevant Mr Beatman. You asked for input/feedback from users with a decent pedigree. I don't do too badly at village plinking comps and have experience with these guns. Because I take a less excitable approach to something doesn't make it wrong, just different to your way.

The last I heard from someone in Walther they didn't know what reg it had in it, but guessed at the Umerex made 1250. As for the barrels, most guns have Lothar Walther barrels on, for a very good reason.

I'll repeat myself once more for the defensive mob s l o w l y. I really hope they continue to perform well and prove themselves year after year. They're a great way into target shooting for not a lot of dosh.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!